You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Charlie Watts Drops Out of Stones Tour

James wrote:

The Rolling Stones announced that drummer Charlie Watts will not be a part of their upcoming No Filter tour of U.S. stadiums after undergoing an unspecified medical procedure. Longtime Stones associate Steve Jordan, who is a member of Keith Richards’ side project X-Pensive Winos, will be taking his place.

“Charlie has had a procedure which was completely successful, but his doctors this week concluded that he now needs proper rest and recuperation,” a rep for the band said in a statement. “With rehearsals starting in a couple of weeks it’s very disappointing to say the least, but it’s also fair to say no one saw this coming.”

In a statement, Watts joked that “for once, my timing has been a little off.” “I am working hard to get fully fit but I have today accepted on the advice of the experts that this will take a while,” he added. “After all the fans’ suffering caused by Covid, I really do not want the many RS fans who have been holding tickets for this tour to be disappointed by another postponement or cancellation. I have therefore asked my great friend Steve Jordan to stand in for me.”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi … r-1207707/

James

James wrote:

I think it's all over....and the shows probably don't even take place.

They're just delaying the inevitable.

Charlie is out....Ron Wood has cancer although apparently is doing ok....and Keith was MIA in France where Jagger and Wood were working on the upcoming Tattoo You deluxe edition.

It may be worse than they're letting on.

I'm in the group who believes if any one of them drop out, it's not the Stones.

They had an amazing run...an unrealistic run. Any other band at this level never could've made it 60 years.

It's sad to see this happen. Truly the end of an era.

The world will never see another band like this again.

James

James wrote:

I saw someone on another site make a good point....

It's no longer the Stones....it's the X-pensive Winos featuring Mick Jagger and Ron Wood...and didn't Ronnie play with them years ago a few times?

That name doesn't sell stadium tickets though....

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
James wrote:

I saw someone on another site make a good point....

It's no longer the Stones....it's the X-pensive Winos featuring Mick Jagger and Ron Wood...and didn't Ronnie play with them years ago a few times?

That name doesn't sell stadium tickets though....

It’s sad - and I’m not a Stones fan really but why even do the tour? I mean their bloodlines are set for life. Is it just the thrill of playing stadiums? I’d hope that’s it…

James

James wrote:

The Stones arent a band and haven't been for 30 years.....it's a massive corporation/brand that employs many people.

Metallica are like this as well.

They will delay the inevitable for as long as possible.

Obviously they should just retire NOW....they've said for decades if one drops out it's not the Stones...but there's livelihoods at stake.

Best case scenario IMO...they pull themselves together to finish out this tour and call it a day in 2022.

Next year is the huge 60th anniversary....

Rumors of a huge tour and farewell album....which clearly is in dire straits right now.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
James wrote:

The Stones arent a band and haven't been for 30 years.....it's a massive corporation/brand that employs many people.

They will delay the inevitable for as long as possible.

Obviously they should just retire NOW....they've said for decades if one drops out it's not the Stones...but there's livelihoods at stake.

Best case scenario IMO...they pull themselves together to finish out this tour and call it a day in 2022.

Next year is the huge 60th anniversary....

Rumors of a huge tour and farewell album....which clearly is in dire straits right now.

Mick and Keith could easily give that “corporation” a comfortable severance package and say “Thanks go get a new job.”

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

As with most bands, you can get away with keeping the name as long as there are two key members there. If Liam and Noel are there, it's Oasis. If Axl and Slash are there, it's GN'R. If Flea and Kiedis are there, it's RHCP. If Mick and Keef are there, it's the Stones.

If they're missing one of the Iconic Duo, the fans won't buy it. Beady Eye literally was Oasis minus Noel, but there was no way they'd get away with keeping the name. Look how Axl struggled for years (arguably in vain) to get people to accept his band as GN'R. Look how Brian May and Roger Taylor get pushback from fans for touring as Queen with Adam Lambert (I fucking guarantee if Freddie were alive and, say, John Deacon were dead, no one would have a problem with the other three touring as Queen).

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

So basically: if it's Mick and Keith, they can get away with calling themselves the Stones. Some hardcore fans will gripe, most will shrug and pony up for the ticket.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
James wrote:

Same thing with GN'R, AC/DC, and so many others of the Classic Rock time period.

James

James wrote:

Jazz Fest....which they were going to headline...has been cancelled.

So if this is the end....the distance left to go just got one mile shorter.

Board footer