You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: GNR Release 'Absurd' Single

James wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Beta also said in January 2001 that CD would come out in June of 2001. She was off by about 7 years! lol

Fair point.....BUT....

She's the manager now!

Whatever they're doing....it needs to happen at a quick pace. Let's not have a repeat of the CD years where it all leaks long before release.

i always wondered how much of CD's release was due to all the songs leaking months before its actual release date, or if the leaks were due to more people having it as it entered into production.  I'll take the leaks today, and buy a couple different versions of the album when/if it ever comes out.  lol

I used to say I wouldn't download CD II before release. Fuck that.

I'm not getting any younger.... could drop dead from a heart attack, get Covid, get run over by a bus....if it leaks, I'll listen.

I hope they don't fuck up the vinyl this time.

I'd like to get both CD and vinyl this time.

I buy so few albums now and I want this one to be a real treat.

Axl S wrote:
James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

Beta also said in January 2001 that CD would come out in June of 2001. She was off by about 7 years! lol

Fair point.....BUT....

She's the manager now!

Whatever they're doing....it needs to happen at a quick pace. Let's not have a repeat of the CD years where it all leaks long before release.

I think technically she’s Axl’s manager and Fernando is band manager. Not sure that makes any difference though.

Tomato, Tomahto.....

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:
James wrote:

I hope they don't fuck up the vinyl this time.

no kidding. i love having chinese democracy in my vinyl collection (awesome inside sleeve!), but holy fuck it's almost unlistenable.

pretty much everyone who owns it has a skipping issue on some song. for me, it's madagascar - damn near my favorite song on the album. skips the whole way through, including the buckethead solo.

play this album on your turntable and then turn on an original zeppelin pressing. an entire fucking galaxy of difference in sound, and i don't mean with the production.

i pretty much only listen to the album digitally.

when the new album drops, i will buy it on cd and vinyl, so agreed - hopefully it has that classic gn'r pop on the record.

James

James wrote:

You want a real vinyl listening experience.....

Put on The Chain from Fleetwood Mac's Rumours.

Chills.

Albums don't sound like that anymore.

Bonus....

Listen to Straight On from Heart's Dog and Butterfly.

Haters Gonna Hate
 Rep: 1 

wow song is getting thrashed here lol https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index … d.2277585/

They said Dee Snider's new song is better in another thread which is false. IMO I know Absurd isn't very good but I feel like people just want everything to sound like AFD

James

James wrote:
Haters Gonna Hate wrote:

wow song is getting thrashed here lol https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index … d.2277585/

They said Dee Snider's new song is better in another thread which is false. IMO I know Absurd isn't very good but I feel like people just want everything to sound like AFD

We live in a world where everyone wants to shit on everything.

It'll be like that until the end of the road.

It's getting a ton of shit over at the Steve Hoffman forum...most active forum I browse anymore....but even there people are looking forward to what they do next.

Haters Gonna Hate
 Rep: 1 

James wrote:
Haters Gonna Hate wrote:

It's getting a ton of shit over at the Steve Hoffman forum...most active forum I browse anymore....but even there people are looking forward to what they do next.

Yeah I feel like they had to know this song would be mixed and then they will do Hardschool to bring back the "it doesn't sound like classic gnr" camp. Also Hardschool doesn't really have the CD outtake baggage as Absurd does. Cause really how many people have heard the Hardschool leak? It like didn't have any press or anything.

James

James wrote:
Haters Gonna Hate wrote:
James wrote:
Haters Gonna Hate wrote:

Yeah I feel like they had to know this song would be mixed and then they will do Hardschool to bring back the "it doesn't sound like classic gnr" camp. Also Hardschool doesn't really have the CD outtake baggage as Absurd does. Cause really how many people have heard the Hardschool leak? It like didn't have any press or anything.

Only a few hundred forum nerds have heard Hardschool. That leak got zero press....even sites like Alternative Nation which mentions anything GNR ignored it.

Im glad the GNR camp ignored that leak. No need to point out to the world that the demos for your upcoming album can be found on fan forums.

No one's heard Silkworms either....and those who did heard it 20 years ago. I'd say more people read about Silkworms in that RS article back then than actually listened to it.

To Joe and Jill Public.... Absurd is a new song.

No one but forum junkies cares about its history.

It's why CD II is in play and will be considered a new album.

No one cares about Robin Finch and Bucketarms and Bumblefingers.....

Axl was smart to never comment specifically about CD II. It isn't tied down to new GNR but even if it was, no one cares.

Edit

One more thing....

Smart to just credit Absurd to Guns N Roses in general.....as I'm sure the rest of the material will be.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

that's the crazy thing - to the average fan, this is the first original song penned by axl, slash and duff in over 20 years.

James

James wrote:
dalethirsty wrote:

that's the crazy thing - to the average fan, this is the first original song penned by axl, slash and duff in over 20 years.

Yeah....and so will the next song.

His total lack of ever discussing CD II in depth wound up being a gift to themselves all these years later.

Hardschool.....hot off the presses!

Only 500 nerds will know or care otherwise.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

I don’t entirely get the reaction.

Absurd is an acquired taste in a lot of ways, something by the way of Prodigy and UK Subs but it also has shades of It’s So Easy and Garden of Eden. Am I surprised? Not really. Hardcores made up their minds. Classic rock types will scoff it isn’t 1980s power chord schmaltz. Take a demographic poll and guarantee Gen X and onwards give it the fairer shake.

And it’s a smart play. Release a simple punk rocker, get some juice into your tour, and keep the ball rolling. Collect $1.29 a head off of your least remarkable song. Continue to cash checks.

And it is an easy target for the usual suspects to get their anger out on. Then they can release Hard School and your positive momentum continues to build from there. Just hope it continues in September (or sooner) so we can keep our fists pumping.

Board footer