You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: GNR Release 'Absurd' Single

monkeychow wrote:

The trick to me is - Can hardschool capture that UYI vibe though?

I can't help but think of The Last Jedi and the way it was hated for being different, so then they made a fan service version in Rise of Skywalker and it was hated all the more.

What i'm getting at is that Absurd is hated for not sounding much like retro GNR, but if hardschool tries and fails to hit the highs of the UYI experience is that better or worse than something like silkworms that's doing it's own thing?

I'm not shitting on Hardschool before we even hear it, I'm just saying in demo form it was no Cather in the Rye or There Was a Time in terms of it's closeness to UYI era sound, and the public doesn't want those, they want Estranged and November Rain.

Or you know, another You Could Be Mine in the era of Terminator 2.

The bar is very very high. I actually feel like people are going to hate on whatever they do these days. But I hope to be wrong. I hope it comes out and kicks ass. But to my mind...Absurd is cool as fuck...so there's that lol.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

In my book Hard School is their closest approximation to YCBM we’ve heard.

Not as good but it’s in the ballpark.

But even if they don’t hit their 90s highs, close isn’t bad and something is better than nothing.

The more attempts at bat, the more chances you have to knock it out of the park.

Thus ends my post and my string of baseball metaphors.

Haters Gonna Hate
 Rep: 1 

monkeychow wrote:

The trick to me is - Can hardschool capture that UYI vibe though?

I can't help but think of The Last Jedi and the way it was hated for being different, so then they made a fan service version in Rise of Skywalker and it was hated all the more.

What i'm getting at is that Absurd is hated for not sounding much like retro GNR, but if hardschool tries and fails to hit the highs of the UYI experience is that better or worse than something like silkworms that's doing it's own thing?

I'm not shitting on Hardschool before we even hear it, I'm just saying in demo form it was no Cather in the Rye or There Was a Time in terms of it's closeness to UYI era sound, and the public doesn't want those, they want Estranged and November Rain.

Or you know, another You Could Be Mine in the era of Terminator 2.

The bar is very very high. I actually feel like people are going to hate on whatever they do these days. But I hope to be wrong. I hope it comes out and kicks ass. But to my mind...Absurd is cool as fuck...so there's that lol.

I kind of agree with Hardschool, for people looking for an epic will def not get it (most likely). I feel like Hardschool will, judging from the slash rehearsal fanmade mix with Axl's vocals pasted on it, will maybe appease the people just looking for a classic AFD type gnr sound.

They will need an "epic" UYI type ballad for the third single I would imagine. Judging from the Village leaks the only option is Atlas, and for all we know that could, except for vocals, sound completely different. The only other one we heard (kinda), is The General from the cellphone leak, but that was only a short bit of the song, but at least it seems like it has a cool progression and has classic Axl vocals.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.....

I don't think the bar is as high as I used to.

You have to take the hardcore blinders off....

No one is expecting another UYI  or AFD.

When the Stones release singles once in a blue moon, no one is expecting Start Me Up or Jumping Jack Flash.

You get this....

It helps promote the tour they're on, helps move a few copies of the compilation it's on,  and some fans really dig it.

It'll get played a handful of times and then it's back to putting Brown Sugar in its place.

They released that blues covers album a few years ago and no one cared. It was a nice gesture though.

Albums don't mean what they used to. Best case scenario this is like Metallica or U2 where they initially promote the shit out of it before going back to business as usual.

Fans like us are a dying breed.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Did Atlas Shrugged leak? I never heard that if it did.

The General
Seven
Thyme
Zodiac

Have always interested me.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Haters Gonna Hate wrote:

I kind of agree with Hardschool, for people looking for an epic will def not get it (most likely). I feel like Hardschool will, judging from the slash rehearsal fanmade mix with Axl's vocals pasted on it, will maybe appease the people just looking for a classic AFD type gnr sound.

Where is this fan made version? I’d love to hear it if you have a link or a copy?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:

The General
Seven
Thyme
Zodiac

youve-got-mail.jpg

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Fortunately I haven’t listened to the most recent leaks since they first came out, so I’ve mostly forgotten them. I sincerely hope we will be treated to an album all of the band can be proud of and some more ‘out there’ b-sides to keep things going.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:

The General
Seven
Thyme
Zodiac

When you hear Thyme it won't interest you 16

kemmep
 Rep: 1 

kemmep wrote:
James wrote:
Haters Gonna Hate wrote:
James wrote:

We live in a world where everyone wants to shit on everything.

It's getting a ton of shit over at the Steve Hoffman forum...most active forum I browse anymore....but even there people are looking forward to what they do next.

Yeah I feel like they had to know this song would be mixed and then they will do Hardschool to bring back the "it doesn't sound like classic gnr" camp. Also Hardschool doesn't really have the CD outtake baggage as Absurd does. Cause really how many people have heard the Hardschool leak? It like didn't have any press or anything.

Edit

One more thing....

Smart to just credit Absurd to Guns N Roses in general.....as I'm sure the rest of the material will be.

I wonder what that means in terms of the contractual relationship between geffen and gnr. Gnr owed Geffen 1 more album, so does this mean there is a "new" deal with geffen?

Board footer