You are not logged in. Please register or login.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

Re: GNR Release 'Absurd' Single

exoterica wrote:

Wags-IsntThatAbsurd.jpg

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Who's still listening to it?

It actually caused me to recently bust out the Rio version...which I enjoy more now than I did back then.

Out of the three versions...

Rio
Demo
Absurd

I don't rank the Bumblefoot version. Haven't heard it in ages and it was garbage. The sound was abysmal...garbage on top of garbage. This was improved a bit with Absurd.

Like Atari said... nothing wrong with it on its own. It's neither here nor there...it just is. Good way to get people talking about the tour and anticipating their next move.

If it's on the album....and it probably will be... it's the You're Crazy/Kickstand of the album.

Sky Dog wrote:

Of course the bass is more distinct, all they had to do is raise Tommy’s bass in the mix!

Might be the biggest travesty of the album....

Tommy becoming the Jason Newsted of the project.

Just listen to the title track from the Village Sessions.

How can you bury that sweet bass pulsing through the verses?

Won't have to worry about Duff getting buried.....

exoterica

exoterica wrote:
James wrote:

It gets 1 workout play and 1 leisure play a day.

I dig it but it needs 2-3 other songs to go along with it so you can get into the groove.

When you start feeling it, it's over.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:
James wrote:

It gets 1 workout play and 1 leisure play a day.

I dig it but it needs 2-3 other songs to go along with it so you can get into the groove.

When you start feeling it, it's over.

Great observation....and similar to how I listen to music now.

Other than when I rediscover a song and it becomes my favorite song for a couple days, this is how I listen to music.

Earlier before going to the store, I listened to Steely Dan....

Josie
Dirty Work
FM
Rikki Don't Lose That Number
East St. Louis Toodle Oo

Wrapped it up with Peg.

Nice little set.

You're right.... Absurd doesn't go with anything. It's verging on a novelty song.

Like listening to Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer.... what the fuck you gonna listen to next?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

yeah i've been giving it a bit of a flogging.

I still like it overall.

I really hope it's the first of an EP or album though and it's not like "that's this tours gift, see you in 18 months" kinda thing.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Really makes me want to hear Slash on Hard School.

davegnfnr2k
 Rep: 1 

davegnfnr2k wrote:
misterID wrote:

Really makes me want to hear Slash on Hard School.

You didn't hear the full soundcheck from a couple of weeks ago?

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

To answer your question, James.

I can't even get through it anymore.

It's fucking terrible. It really might be the worst song in the catalog. Glad some of you dig it, but I don't. I really think it's trash.

Lyrics are repetitive and dumb. Axl is just shouting. I can't even say much about the solo because I don't get to it anymore, but I've always said I can't listen to Slash's garbage solo songs just for the solo. I never make it there.

Incredibly disappointing.

Haters Gonna Hate
 Rep: 1 

I don't really hate Absurd, but I will say the song flowed a lot better on HOB and RM1. I feel like the best version of the song would be a studio studio HOB version. I am pretty surprised how much longer it is than the original version (minus the intro), idk still find it strange they released the worst song from the CD era to be the first single. Part of me thinks it was going to be Hardschool but they released Axl can't sing it, but that doesn't stop him from attempting 95% of the set lol.

exoterica

exoterica wrote:

"This next song we're gonna dedicate to our good friend Jarmo. 30 years ago was his first Guns N' Roses concert. So 30 years of gloom and despair and also it's been 30 years since we put out an original song. This is called 'Absurd'".

-Axl before "ABSURD", Denver, CO, 08/16/21

Board footer