You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: When do we hear Hardskool?

misterID wrote:

If I can hear The General, Seven and Soul Monster, that'll be new to me. I'll flip to hear a new version of Atlas Shrugged.

I wouldn't doubt *this* line up has plenty of new material, Richard talked about them sending demos back and forth years ago. The only question is if Axl has done any writing.

When do we hear Hard School?

August 13 4%
August 20 0%
September 3 13%
October 1 9%
This year 70%
Next year 4%
Total votes: 23
AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

Soul Monster & Berlin are the must haves for me. From the listening party cellphone clip The General sounds interesting but I can live without a full version. It would be criminal if Elvis & Oklahoma were never given vocals.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I said the same thing about "Jackie Chan" for years, and then I was blown away by Hard School. Wasn't that General clip really, really bad quality, with only some screams that were clearly audible?

AgesOfTheIce

AgesOfTheIce wrote:
misterID wrote:

I said the same thing about "Jackie Chan" for years, and then I was blown away by Hard School. Wasn't that General clip really, really bad quality, with only some screams that were clearly audible?

You can make out a lot, actually. You can make out the melody of the first part of the chorus and some of the lyrics: "Do you remember who did that to you?". The second part of the chorus is just Axl singing "Who would do that" with "to you" echoing over Brain's drum beat. Then you can make out Bucket or Robin's solo pretty clearly, then the orchestra music that was confirmed to be The General by GNR's twitter in 2010. You can hear alot of what Axl is screaming at the end too, "My hopes my dreams have died", ect.

Of course, alot of this could be a trick of the mind after hearing the version Evader made of what he thinks it sounds like, but I think these parts are pretty clear.

Sky Dog wrote:

There are vocals to most all the big guns of those 4 demo discs. Stop it already. For the 400th time, Tommy said there were 22 other completed tracks that weren’t on Chinese. Ron said when he came in he was asked to work on over 30 songs.

There are tons of lyrics, vocals and songs to choose from. Who the fuck knows what the current band have done with any of them. Only real evidence of anything is what we currently have.

Here’s hoping we get another Thanksgiving special from Gnr! axl

AgesOfTheIce

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

There is no reason to assume that Oklahoma/Berlin was ever given complete vocals beyond the setlist photo from 2001, and that could have been a mistake. The evidence leans toward it but we don't know for sure. Same thing with Elvis, we don't know 100% that it is Soul Monster just because it it also has Elvis in the title. It's like an 80% probability but not a certainty.

dalethirsty
 Rep: 20 

dalethirsty wrote:

soul monster w/ slash & duff could set the world on fire. 9

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

There is no reason to assume that Oklahoma/Berlin was ever given complete vocals beyond the setlist photo from 2001, and that could have been a mistake. The evidence leans toward it but we don't know for sure. Same thing with Elvis, we don't know 100% that it is Soul Monster just because it it also has Elvis in the title. It's like an 80% probability but not a certainty.

There's plenty of reason to believe it....the fact they had a second album and a handful of extras ready to go.

You telling me Oklahoma is in the category of shit not worth bothering with?

Bullshit....

For songs like Oklahoma and Soul Monster not to make the final cut of 22 would mean there were secret sessions later on that bore fresh fruit....and we all know that didn't happen.

A mistake? A band accidentally put an instrumental on its list of alternates?

Come on....

Do some people just hate these songs and pray that they're nowhere near an upcoming album?

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

exoterica wrote:

I haven't see Oklahoma on a setlist pic.

From my understanding a guitar tech or something to that effect told someone Silkworms was Oklahoma, thus starting the rumor.

But I could be wrong on this and am happy to be corrected.

James wrote:

Do some people just hate these songs and pray that they're nowhere near an upcoming album?

You're also forgetting The Iron Rule of Axl: Any song inspired by one of Axl's exes sure as hell hasn't been dropped.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Wagszilla wrote:

I haven't see Oklahoma on a setlist pic.

From my understanding a guitar tech or something to that effect told someone Silkworms was Oklahoma, thus starting the rumor.

But I could be wrong on this and am happy to be corrected.

James wrote:

You're also forgetting The Iron Rule of Axl: Any song inspired by one of Axl's exes sure as hell hasn't been dropped.

It was on the setlist at HOB as an alternate to Riad....thus starting the 'Is Oklahoma really Riad?' discussion that lasted a decade.

It never appeared again.

You're right....any song aimed at Everly or Seymour.....and one aimed at both of them is sure as shit still in contention.

The fact that it's a scorcher that should've been released 20 years ago is a bonus.

How is an instrumental aimed at two women?!?

It's finished.

Board footer