You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Taliban control of Afghanistan on the 20th Anniversary of 9/11

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

Honestly, Biden would have been better off not giving that interview today. When asked about how he felt about seeing people falling out of the sky from that plane, his answer was: "That was four days ago!"

The lack of compassion and defensiveness was worse than the fact it was actually two days ago.

He's incompetent.

I wish we had a VP with actual experience and who had some respect.

I'd say let Biden sit at home in his rocking chair and the VP could run things like Cheney.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

That interview didn't help Biden any.  As usual, the intel community protects itself so I assume they were behind the immediate leaks to the press saying they briefed Biden on the risks and their projections of an imminent fall.   I know just 4 years ago Democrats felt the intel community was sacrosanct and Trump was guilty of treason for disagreeing with their declarations.  I can't find any of those pundits making the same argument.

Point:

Schumer called Trump’s criticism “extraordinarily inappropriate” and said it would “undermine public confidence” in the government’s efforts to protect national security.

and

Sen. Mark R. Warner (D-Va.), the vice chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, also weighed in.

“The President has a dangerous habit of undermining the intelligence community to fit his alternate reality,” Warner said in a tweet. “People risk their lives for the intelligence he just tosses aside on Twitter.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics … story.html

Hard to reconcile that with the current blame game.

These are the same spy agencies that didn't know ahead of time the USSR was about to collapse or 9/11.  If they indeed didn't think this outcome would happen, add another failure to their list.

But in that interview Biden had a hard time pushing away the reality that people in the military and intelligence community thought his withdrawal plan was crap.  Conflicting views are expected, but this crap where he's blaming Trump's timeline (May 1st) as an excuse for his failure to plan an orderly withdrawal of at minimum US Citizens before the military fell back to the airport is ludicrous.  That's not taking ownership.  We're more than 3 months passed Trump's deadline that no longer needed to be honored because the Taliban broke the conditions of the deal.  Biden had no problem breaking the deals with Mexico, Guatemala and El Salvador to repatriate their citizens, so it's not like Biden had an issue undoing Trump's deals.  So is Biden going to miss his August 31st deadline, or will he leave Americans behind under Taliban rule?  He's making Carter look like a rockstar.

But that doesn't diminish the culpability our so called "allies" had in this.  EU intelligence is just as good as ours, and they had no problem getting the fuck out of Afghanistan either, nor did they or are they willing to deploy troops to secure the region.  So opinions from world leaders with armies they can't even fully supply don't hold much weight with me.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:

Is it true that Trump released from captive, among many, the person that’s currently leading al-qaeda?

Randall Flagg

mitchejw wrote:

Is it true that Trump released from captive, among many, the person that’s currently leading al-qaeda?

No, he killed the last leader of Al Qaeda: 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51409581

Maybe you meant, Taliban.  In which case, still no. 

Since you like politifact, here is an article that addresses your claim:
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 … -role-rel/

Intelligence experts thought he was the most rational leader to lead the Taliban, and so he was released from containment in Pakistan by Pakistan.  And sure enough, he's now a senior leader in the Taliban.

Was that your attempt at a pot shot based off a far left site you read, or do you really not know how to google things?  I have a hunch it's the former with your inability to condemn Biden for any transgression and desire to blame Trump for every wrong, real or perceived. 

Is there another candidate you'd like to be leading the Taliban?  And you really should do some research before conflating the Taliban with Al Qaeda.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Question, who has been supplying the Taliban with weapons all these years?

Randall Flagg

polluxlm wrote:

You know the answer.  The US has been supplying Afghanistan with weapons since the 1980s.  As have the Russians/Soviets and Pakistan.  Anyone paying attention knows Afghanistan is just football kicked around by the world powers who inevitably give rise to their new enemy.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Not only did Biden not coordinate with allies, he wouldn't return Boris Johnson's repeated calls for over 36 hours. They are refusing all help to get Americans out, according to Richard Engel, and now this bow on this mess:

"State Dept's Overseas Security Advisory Council said Aug. 14: "Repatriation flights are not free, & passengers will be required to sign a promissory loan agreement & may not be eligible to renew their U.S. passports til the loan is repaid. Cost may be $2,000 or more per"

Randall Flagg

The fact that British forces are leaving the wire and going to rescue their people, while American soldiers are ordered to stand guard is obscene.  The media was blasting Trump because 500 kids couldn't be reunited with their parents because DHS couldn't get ahold of them or the parents didn't want them.   Biden used this in his campaign, yet 10-15k Americans are left to the mercy of the Taliban because Joe doesn't want to look bad?  This is bigger than Saigon, we got our people out of Vietnam.  All that talk about America's international reputation....

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pentag … ul-airport

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

You know the answer.  The US has been supplying Afghanistan with weapons since the 1980s.  As have the Russians/Soviets and Pakistan.  Anyone paying attention knows Afghanistan is just football kicked around by the world powers who inevitably give rise to their new enemy.

I was more wondering if there is an official scapegoat or if they just don't talk about it. I don't follow regular news much outside of headlines.

On the other hand I just discovered that heroin is no longer taboo for the Taliban. They make too much money on it. Well that answers the question whether this will impact the lucrative drug trade. Guess there was no reason at all for the US to stick around any longer.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

mitchejw wrote:
Randall Flagg wrote:
mitchejw wrote:

No, he killed the last leader of Al Qaeda: 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-51409581

Maybe you meant, Taliban.  In which case, still no. 

Since you like politifact, here is an article that addresses your claim:
https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 … -role-rel/

Intelligence experts thought he was the most rational leader to lead the Taliban, and so he was released from containment in Pakistan by Pakistan.  And sure enough, he's now a senior leader in the Taliban.

Was that your attempt at a pot shot based off a far left site you read, or do you really not know how to google things?  I have a hunch it's the former with your inability to condemn Biden for any transgression and desire to blame Trump for every wrong, real or perceived. 

Is there another candidate you'd like to be leading the Taliban?  And you really should do some research before conflating the Taliban with Al Qaeda.

Nah…i think I’m just gonna back to not caring.

I feel bad for the refugees but this was a shit storm decades in the making…i neither have the time nor the desire to research the last damn near 50 years. Especially when it will result in nothing.

I’m gonna hold my kids a bit tighter the next few days and move on.

Board footer