You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Axl doesnt consider CD a guns n roses album anymore

polluxlm wrote:
davegnfnr2k wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Slash has always been a great foil to Axl. His solo work has never appealed to me but Absurd and Hard School show that he still has the ability elevate Axl's material. The single is what made me excited for the prospect of a new album. If they were just writing new material I would be lukewarm. What are they going to write about? Where to hide all the cash?

This sounds great compared to the original. Dave called it a simplification but the tone is better here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c6x5pNBh1Y

I haven't heard Slash solo like that since 1993.

That version and the full rehearsal that came out are really dumbed down compared to the Finck / BH version.
And silkworms HOB is way better than Absurd. 

slash always butches all the CD songs he plays live.  Not sure how you think slash elevates it.
Just cant wait to hear him totally ruin songs like Zodiac and Quick Song

Haven't heard the full rehearsal. If you can hook me up.

Generally I agree with you about Slash on CD songs. I have yet to hear a solo he does not butcher there. On the other hand I do like what he did with Silkworms, turning it into a proper rocker instead of just an experimental b side. That intro I hear on Hard School is also better than the demos just by the way it sounds. It can go either way I think.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

polluxlm wrote:
davegnfnr2k wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

Slash has always been a great foil to Axl. His solo work has never appealed to me but Absurd and Hard School show that he still has the ability elevate Axl's material. The single is what made me excited for the prospect of a new album. If they were just writing new material I would be lukewarm. What are they going to write about? Where to hide all the cash?

This sounds great compared to the original. Dave called it a simplification but the tone is better here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c6x5pNBh1Y

I haven't heard Slash solo like that since 1993.

That version and the full rehearsal that came out are really dumbed down compared to the Finck / BH version.

slash always butches all the CD songs he plays live.  Not sure how you think slash elevates it.

Generally I agree with you about Slash on CD songs. I have yet to hear a solo he does not butcher there. On the other hand I do like what he did with Silkworms, turning it into a proper rocker instead of just an experimental b side. That intro I hear on Hard School is also better than the demos just by the way it sounds. It can go either way I think.

There's a full rehearsal of Hardschool?!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I was looking for various clips of soundchecks/rehearsals. Was browsing through Reddit as well.....

They soundchecked Down on the Street in Fargo?!?

Why isn't that breaking news?

That's bigger news than Hardschool being added to the setlist. It means unreleased tracks from the UYI sessions are in play.

davegnfnr2k
 Rep: 1 

davegnfnr2k wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
davegnfnr2k wrote:

There's a full rehearsal of Hardschool?!

yes without Axl

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
James wrote:

I was looking for various clips of soundchecks/rehearsals. Was browsing through Reddit as well.....

That's bigger news than Hardschool being added to the setlist. It means unreleased tracks from the UYI sessions are in play.

Oh man, I hope we get Down on the Street studio version with Axl vocals.

What’s the other unreleased TSI tune, Beer and a Cigarette by Hanoi Rocks?

LlamaRenegade
 Rep: 2 

James wrote:

Personally, I don’t think Down on the Street being soundchecked means anything for the UYI sessions.

It’s just another Duff cover. The only difference between it and I Wanna Be Your Dog is an aborted recording for a cover album 30 years ago.

I would love to be wrong, maybe they did resurrect the backing track from the UYI sessions. Regardless, I do think it would be cool if they played it live!

davegnfnr2k
 Rep: 1 

davegnfnr2k wrote:

last thing we need on a new GNR album are cover songs
I mean technically slash and duff are doing covers of the BH and Finck songs
But lets not waste a spot with any non GNR songs

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

davegnfnr2k wrote:

Agreed. I still can't believe that Velvet Revolver booted Messages from Libertad for Can't Get It Out Of My Head, ffs. And GN'R's recent covers haven't really been sufficiently different from the original tracks to justify their inclusion on an album. Like, LALD and KOHD were substantially different from the original tracks. The Seeker and Wichita Lineman are just straight covers. Keep 'em to B-sides and bonus tracks.

James

James wrote:
metallex78 wrote:
James wrote:

Oh man, I hope we get Down on the Street studio version with Axl vocals.

What’s the other unreleased TSI tune, Beer and a Cigarette by Hanoi Rocks?

I hope so too.....but it's probably going to be Duff on vocals.

Not that surprising I suppose... considering how many TSI songs he did vocals on.

The only difference between it and I Wanna Be Your Dog is an aborted recording for a cover album 30 years ago.

That's a pretty big difference.

I Wanna Be Your Dog is just a standard, run of the mill cover in the set. Interchangeable with any other cover.

Down On the Street is the only song on the list that was supposed to be included on an album. I doubt it was picked out of a hat.

Wishful thinking? Maybe...but they know the history of the track...and they know we know...

James

James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:
davegnfnr2k wrote:

Agreed. I still can't believe that Velvet Revolver booted Messages from Libertad for Can't Get It Out Of My Head, ffs. And GN'R's recent covers haven't really been sufficiently different from the original tracks to justify their inclusion on an album. Like, LALD and KOHD were substantially different from the original tracks. The Seeker and Wichita Lineman are just straight covers. Keep 'em to B-sides and bonus tracks.

Yeah...the exclusion of Messages made zero sense. The only song from those sessions that had hit written all over it.

Listening to it now for the first time in a coon's age..... should've been the second single. 21

I don't even remember what the second single was....I just know it was dead after She Builds Quick Machines.

Edit

Second single was The Last Fight.

They had the nerve to release a third single (Get Out the Door) five months later.

Not including Psycho Killer was a mistake as well. It also had single potential.

Board footer