You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: Field of Dreams

mitchejw wrote:

I'm sure many of you saw the Sox vs the Yankees and the Costner participation in the game. It conjured up some memories about the movie and how I've seen it so many times. Every time I watch it I notice something I didn't the previous time...what a fuckin bizarre movie...I couldn't describe it without just forcing someone else to watch it.

What a strange movie...it was enjoyable to watch someone's first reaction to this movie. I love reaction videos bc it gives me a chance to relive things like I'm going through them for the first time.

[youtube][embed]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yPpn9FDDIA[/youtube][/embed]

But I must say, every time I go to Wrigley Field for a Cubs game I look around and wonder where my grandfather and great grandfather sat. So little about that field has changed that it's easy to think of a time when they were sitting there...maybe even in the exact seat I'm sitting in.

The magic of spending a day thinking about that while watching baseball certainly creates some crazy thoughts.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

This is one of those movies that I haven't watched in decades and is long overdue for a rewatch.

It would be like watching a new film...and might be better from an adult perspective.

Having said that...never really been into baseball movies.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I cry like a bitch at various points watching Field of Dreams, no matter how many times I see it. Baseball was my first love as a kid and I remember fondly going to many games at Fenway Park.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

The great thing about baseball is there are those old gems still left.

Sadly, I never got to go to Tigers Stadium or Yankee Stadium (the og).

I've been to Wrigley and Fenway. I don't know which one I prefer. Both cities are phenomenal. The ghosts of the past in both though.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
James wrote:

This is one of those movies that I haven't watched in decades and is long overdue for a rewatch.

It would be like watching a new film...and might be better from an adult perspective.

Having said that...never really been into baseball movies.

Yea...I'm not sure about what your relationship was with your dad...this movie has a way of romanticizing the past. The older you get, the more it punches you...

It's not really about baseball if you ask me. Although it has a lot to do with the backdrop of the movie.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
faldor wrote:

I cry like a bitch at various points watching Field of Dreams, no matter how many times I see it. Baseball was my first love as a kid and I remember fondly going to many games at Fenway Park.

Oh god same...I don't know how they do it. How do they make such a fictional movie seem so real?

'Hey Dad....wanna have a catch?' - That one gets me every time. But the reality is he's having catch with his Dad who is now younger than him...doesn't make a bit of difference does it?

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
TheSundanceKid wrote:

The great thing about baseball is there are those old gems still left.

Sadly, I never got to go to Tigers Stadium or Yankee Stadium (the og).

I've been to Wrigley and Fenway. I don't know which one I prefer. Both cities are phenomenal. The ghosts of the past in both though.

Yup...that's the thing we would lose if we ever tore down Wrigley and made something new. First, how many baseball parks are just in the middle of a residential/light commercial district? Well...now getting a bit more densely commercial since the Ricketts' moved in.

It's something the younger teams just don't have....Tampa Bay, Arizona Diamondbacks, Florida Marlins....these new stadiums built as cheaply as possible on the cheapest possible land usually in the middle of nowhere fringes of the city limits.

Board footer