You are not logged in. Please register or login.

exoterica
 Rep: 18 

Re: Ron Thal talks "Absurd"

exoterica wrote:

In a brand new chat... Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal was asked if he has heard the "new" GN'R song "Absurd". He responded:

"I have. I remember the song from when I was laying guitar parts for the ['Chinese Democracy'] album. I laid some parts for it back then. And, of course, they've all been replaced — I'm not in the band. Slash should be on there, of course, doing all the leads and stuff. So, yeah, I heard it. And it was pretty cool hearing him on there doing his thing. It definitely made it feel more like what it is — like a band."

Link: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ex-gu … me-absurd/
Interview Audio Link: https://anchor.fm/shannon-wilk/episodes … /a-a6c7a02

This confirms Ron worked on "Absurd" fka. "Silkworms" in 2006-2008.

You could go full legalese here and say "worked on" =/= "done" but I think it more or less confirms Silkworms and Atlas were in play for the album in 2008 and in all likelihood another whole album was ready at this time for "same time same bat channel" in 2009.

Haters Gonna Hate
 Rep: 1 

Yeah we already heard BBF's version of silkworms from 06 it leaked in like 2013. Very poorly mixed the person put all of ron's guitar just in the left channel so it is pretty much impossible to get it to sound right. It was also played at the after party where The General leak was. I am surprised out of all songs, Silkworms was being worked on for 20 years lol However the silkworms from The General leak had more guitars so it must have gotten worked on some more hmmm. Wonder if we will ever hear the 08 versions of these songs. Would rather hear the 03 versions, but knowing this band if there ever is a boxset it will be the Ashba Versions

zombux
 Rep: 36 

zombux wrote:
Haters Gonna Hate wrote:

Very poorly mixed the person put all of ron's guitar just in the left channel so it is pretty much impossible to get it to sound right.

because those files were never intended to be listened by the "end listener" but were made for Ron personally, that's why the channels were mixed that specific way.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

From memory it sounded pretty much like the finished version except with bumble's amp tone and fretless between verses instead of the slash licks. Basically the same version of the song. 

Had it been released in decent quality I think it would have held up ok - although of course people prefer the classic line up.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Haters Gonna Hate wrote:

Would rather hear the 03 versions, but knowing this band if there ever is a boxset it will be the Ashba Versions

Christ I hope not.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

monkeychow wrote:

From memory it sounded pretty much like the finished version except with bumble's amp tone and fretless between verses instead of the slash licks. Basically the same version of the song. 

Had it been released in decent quality I think it would have held up ok - although of course people prefer the classic line up.

The exact same Rolling Stone writers calling it a "classic punk track" with Slash on it would be calling it "Axl's delusional foray into industrial" with Bumble playing on it.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
Haters Gonna Hate wrote:

Yeah we already heard BBF's version of silkworms from 06 it leaked in like 2013. Very poorly mixed the person put all of ron's guitar just in the left channel so it is pretty much impossible to get it to sound right. It was also played at the after party where The General leak was. I am surprised out of all songs, Silkworms was being worked on for 20 years lol However the silkworms from The General leak had more guitars so it must have gotten worked on some more hmmm. Wonder if we will ever hear the 08 versions of these songs. Would rather hear the 03 versions, but knowing this band if there ever is a boxset it will be the Ashba Versions

Not really fair to call that BBF's version of Silkworms. It was a sketch track with the song panned all the way to one side and him adding ideas or things he could play over it at certain time points in the song. He'll have probably done more than one of those and eventually when in an actual studio tracked a whole bunch more.

We actually have no idea how an end BBF/Ashba era Absurd sounded.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

The exact same Rolling Stone writers calling it a "classic punk track" with Slash on it would be calling it "Axl's delusional foray into industrial" with Bumble playing on it.

Well that's probably true.

Likewise I think the current shows wouldn't be getting the positive reviews without Slash and Duff.

It's one thing about reuniting, it takes the pressure of everything being 100% Axl even if he's still in charge.

Axl, Slash and Duff together can be given a lot more "benefit of the doubt" to the media than Axl alone.

Board footer