You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 130 

Re: Hardschool single coming September 24th.

When I was in 1st grade a kid wore his older sisters shirt into school with the robot. I didn’t understand it at the time, but the teacher made him immediately turn it inside out.

polluxlm
 Rep: 208 

Re: Hardschool single coming September 24th.

polluxlm wrote:

I kinda want that poster now. Just the over the top controversy is appealing and it has nice colors too.

James
 Rep: 644 

Re: Hardschool single coming September 24th.

James wrote:

They sadly missed the boat with the robot. That was just begging to be the band's mascot or whatever you want to call it(Eddie from Iron Maiden).

Kicked things off with a banned album cover...and months later everyone from junior high kids to soccer moms to middle aged men are wearing it on the back of a t-shirt. For a brief period it was almost as iconic as the AFD cross.

It really was a missed opportunity. You can so easily remove him from the rape scene and place him in different environments... even other controversial environments if you want to go in that direction.

Example

The tabloid/media nature of the Lies album cover....have one of the images be the robot tossing a journalist into a printing press. Not sure what you could do with him for UYI since its focus is the painting but they could've thought of something. TSI... whose concept revolves around Adler and the lawsuit, have the robot crush the AFD skull of Adler.

They brought him back for the reunion but it's too little, too late.

Like everything with GNR, its potential was wasted.

Randall Flagg wrote:

When I was in 1st grade a kid wore his older sisters shirt into school with the robot. I didn’t understand it at the time, but the teacher made him immediately turn it inside out.


The good old days....

In junior high I owned all their shirts. It was 5 or 6 AFD shirts and two Lies shirts.

I thought I was hot shit walking the halls with the rape scene shirt and Lies cover shirt.

By the time high school came, 9 times out of ten I would be told I had to go to the gym and change my shirt.

Looking back I am surprised my parents embraced my fandom.

James
 Rep: 644 

Re: Hardschool single coming September 24th.

James wrote:

Anyone remember all the AFD shirts?

AFD cross
That awesome skull shirt that disappeared the first year
Band photo
Guns N Roses logo
The robot/rape

Is that it?

Lies had..

Lies cover (probably my favorite)
Used to Love Her

monkeychow
 Rep: 643 

Re: Hardschool single coming September 24th.

monkeychow wrote:

I got more into the UYI t-shirts back in the day.

Here's some of the ones I had, (these pictures from the net not my versions but they seem to be the same as I recall)

s-l400.jpg

il_1588xN.3368751049_oxnj.jpg

il_1588xN.3248349285_brgv.jpg

il_1588xN.2673417062_ev4l.jpg

il_1588xN.3018243932_k7ok.jpg

s-l300.jpg

Think i had some other ones too.

metallex78
 Rep: 192 

Re: Hardschool single coming September 24th.

metallex78 wrote:

I pretty much lived in the all over print UYI tshirt from when I bought it 1992, until it slowly fell apart in 1995, after too many battles with the washing machine and the Australian sun!

Man, what a missed opportunity by TB to re-release it for the 30th anniversary. I’d buy all that stuff in a heartbeat, but not the new fugly shit they put up.

Axl S
 Rep: 109 

Re: Hardschool single coming September 24th.

Axl S wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I pretty much lived in the all over print UYI tshirt from when I bought it 1992, until it slowly fell apart in 1995, after too many battles with the washing machine and the Australian sun!

Man, what a missed opportunity by TB to re-release it for the 30th anniversary. I’d buy all that stuff in a heartbeat, but not the new fugly shit they put up.

https://gnrmerch.com/collections/mens-a … ie-dye-tee

isn't this it?

metallex78
 Rep: 192 

Re: Hardschool single coming September 24th.

metallex78 wrote:
Axl S wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

I pretty much lived in the all over print UYI tshirt from when I bought it 1992, until it slowly fell apart in 1995, after too many battles with the washing machine and the Australian sun!

Man, what a missed opportunity by TB to re-release it for the 30th anniversary. I’d buy all that stuff in a heartbeat, but not the new fugly shit they put up.

https://gnrmerch.com/collections/mens-a … ie-dye-tee

isn't this it?

Not quite. Like the one monkey posted, it had red and yellow one side and blue and purple on the other side.

I’m surprised that one is up though, I didn’t see that when they first posted the link with all the fugly new anniversary merch.
I guess they must’ve listened to the negative feedback and put some half decent stuff up as well.

Blackstar
 Rep: 5 

Re: Hardschool single coming September 24th.

Blackstar wrote:

I don't visit their merch site often, but the more classic-looking UYI shirts must have been on there for a while - I'm sure I'd seen them listed before the new anniversary merch was added.

metallex78
 Rep: 192 

Re: Hardschool single coming September 24th.

metallex78 wrote:
Blackstar wrote:

I don't visit their merch site often, but the more classic-looking UYI shirts must have been on there for a while - I'm sure I'd seen them listed before the new anniversary merch was added.

They certainly weren’t listed with the 30th anniversary fugly stuff when they made the social media post last week. If they were I probably wouldn’t have complained so much about merch they were selling to celebrate it.

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB