You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: John Madden dead at 85

James wrote:

RIP

I hadn't seen him in ages.

I gotta admit....I thought his broadcasting went into decline over the years. Having said that, I missed him when he was gone.

Him and Summerall were THE voices of football.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I’ll always remember him for calling that first Patriots Super Bowl and saying Brady should take a knee at the end of regulation. And then once Brady led them on the game winning drive he said, “what Tom Brady just did, gives me goosebumps”. That gives me goosebumps to this day.
And not that it really matters but I disagreed with his take of taking a knee at the time. They dominated the first 3 quarters of that game but the Rams made a furious comeback in the 4th. No way I wanted any part of OT the way things were going. Had to at least try to score and they played things very conservatively to start.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0WNBQmcPh24

Played “Madden” religiously through my teens and early 20s too.

James

James wrote:

Madden 2000-01 was awesome.

They were better when they had to compete with other games...

2k, Gameday, QB club, etc.

Once they got exclusive rights to the NFL, they got lazy.

I wish they'd lose the rights.

faldor

faldor wrote:
James wrote:

We played Madden 2000 franchise mode in college. I was the Patriots and I controlled Willie McGinest on D and averaged like 5 sacks a game. Broke all the records. Crazy that Tom Brady was in that game as QB 12, 22 years ago.

James

James wrote:
faldor wrote:
James wrote:

We played Madden 2000 franchise mode in college. I was the Patriots and I controlled Willie McGinest on D and averaged like 5 sacks a game. Broke all the records. Crazy that Tom Brady was in that game as QB 12, 22 years ago.

Did you play NFL2k1 back then or were you loyal to the Madden series?

2k1 was amazing.

I liked being the Buffalo Bills on there. I would instantly bench Rob Johnson and   put Doug Flutie in.

NFL2k3 was incredible as well. The ESPN halftime show with highlights and stats was ahead of its time. Hell...Madden still doesn't go all out like this.

They made the Patriots nearly unstoppable on this game.

Even though I hate the Patriots, I would pick them half the time...90% of the time if playing a season. I would do the trade of a lifetime...Tom Brady for Doug Flutie and someone else.

It was a great combo. They didn't skip a beat with Flutie in charge.  lol

The Chargers improved with Brady. Faced em in the playoffs a couple times. Don't remember all the details how it came about... computer simulated a Brees injury or benched?

NFL2K3 is probably the greatest football game ever made. The only weak spot was the running game was too easy.

Ever play 1999 NFL Gameday? Holy shit...the Broncos were unstoppable on that game.

If no other game company can get NFL rights, I want Madden to do a retro edition where either a handful of specific seasons are included, maybe....

Or they allow you to play all the Superbowl games...and all the proper names and numbers are used.

This is long overdue.

faldor

faldor wrote:

I don’t think I ever played NFL2K or Gameday. I haven’t played Madden in years but those were good times. Simpler times for sure. The last console I bought was a PS2, so I’m a little behind the times. Maybe my daughter will get into video games. Although she can’t sit still for 2 minutes so that seems unlikely.

Board footer