You are not logged in. Please register or login.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

Re: Slash confirms “one or two” new songs by June

ClaudeF wrote:
James wrote:

The fans needed a much bigger leak at that point...maybe a few discs from the Village Sessions. All of that stuff had been in the hoarders circle for years at that point.

Prior to the purchase of the Village/Storage Locker CDs, do we have confirmation that those discs had circulated at all?

Someone on a forum had quoted the chorus of “Sorry” (absent from the storage locker recordings) years prior to the album’s release, but is there evidence that hoarders had copies of the storage locker discs?

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

polluxlm wrote:

My friends dug the Better demo too.

Could have released it in summer 06 with Better, CD and The Blues as singles. 01 would have been even more favorable. Could have had a few albums with Buckethead then maybe an earlier reunion in the late noughties. Before they polished off all the edge CD was a good album, could have had decent success. Like VR did in 04-05. Still a market for hard hitting rock n roll then. So many wasted opportunities.

To me the biggest missed opportunity was not keeping Buckethead on board for the 2006 tour. Bumble was a perfectly good replacement but never really got to put his stamp on the material as he was always seen as "the shredder who's there to do the Buckethead bits".

It also cemented the idea of the band as a "revolving door" of musicians, and the idea that Axl needed three, or four, or five guitarists to "replace the Genius That Is Slash" among casuals.

It had knock-on effects with the promo too. The Better video was clearly intended to introduce the new band, but Buckethead's departure, and Axl's insistence that they retain material recorded by band members who'd left, meant that they chose to showcase him in the video alongside the current members, heightening the perception of a "revolving door".

The death knell for the Better video was Robin's departure, which would've meant either re-editing the video to remove him and Buckethead, replacing them with Bumble and Ashba when the latter hadn't even contributed to the recording—or adding Ashba to the video alongside the four(!) other guitarists showcased, an absurd situation.

Lose the video, and you lose the single release. Lose the single release of the album's most accessible song, and it stalls the momentum of all the promo.

All that could've been avoided if they'd kept Buckethead and the stable line-up from 2002 through to the 2006 tour. It would've been so simple; release Better ahead of the tour to get some radio play, then drop TWAT as a follow-up to showcase the Big Heroic Guitar Outro Solo and prove that Axl had a lead guitarist who was at least equal to the task of pulling off a November Rain epic.

I have visions of a TWAT video in which Buckethead emerges from a chicken coop on top of that same cliff from the November Rain video to deliver his solo.

harmon420
 Rep: 20 

harmon420 wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:
James wrote:

The fans needed a much bigger leak at that point...maybe a few discs from the Village Sessions. All of that stuff had been in the hoarders circle for years at that point.

Prior to the purchase of the Village/Storage Locker CDs, do we have confirmation that those discs had circulated at all?

Someone on a forum had quoted the chorus of “Sorry” (absent from the storage locker recordings) years prior to the album’s release, but is there evidence that hoarders had copies of the storage locker discs?

They were referred to by the little code (J587 85 etc) on the insert of each disc. I don't know how long they were in circulation before the Chairman leaks, but hoarders were definitely circle jerking each other before us "normies" got our hands on them.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:
James wrote:

No official confirmation...but years ago when I talked to various players on the forums, I was told there were a "bunch" of discs floating around.

Back in 2006-7 I assumed this was the Trunk discs and in 2008...the second album.

Whatever the hell was in circulation, it was out there in 2003-04... maybe earlier.

FlashFlood
 Rep: 55 

FlashFlood wrote:
James wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:
James wrote:

No official confirmation...but years ago when I talked to various players on the forums, I was told there were a "bunch" of discs floating around.

Back in 2006-7 I assumed this was the Trunk discs and in 2008...the second album.

Whatever the hell was in circulation, it was out there in 2003-04... maybe earlier.

I remember what a fucking miracle it was when IRS leaked in what? 2005/2006? Hearing that they played it on Trunk and not actually hearing the track for months later.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

It was 2005 I'm pretty sure.

The fact they played a leaked gnr song on the radio and nobody fucking recorded it is mind boggling.

ClaudeF

ClaudeF wrote:

Eddie Trunk’s statement at the time:

https://bravewords.com/news/guns-n-rose … k-comments

“ The rest of the CD was also cool. It sounded like a total of 3 songs, with instrumental versions of each of the 3, making a total of 6 tracks (I think). The last track, which I did not play, was the best. A great rocker, with tons of shredding guitar from Buckethead. I don't know what the title was, but I kinda wish I had the chance to play that one as well. Mike & I didn't really know what we had, so we just played the first track ‘IRS’.”

How the NY Post covered it:

https://nypost.com/2003/09/03/starr-report-537/

“ Leak, and ye shall find (lots of interest)

The folks over at Q-104.3 say the phones have been ringing off the hook since last Friday night, when Eddie Trunk and guest Mike Piazza debuted a new Guns & Roses track, “IRS,” on “Friday Night Rocks with Eddie Trunk.”

Piazza, a pal of Trunk’s, brought the track up to the show.

“Mike left the CD with me, so I could determine what to do with it from there,” writes Trunk on his Web site (eddietrunk.com). “Questions of how legit this recording was were quickly squashed when I started to get calls and e-mail from the band’s management on Saturday. This was VERY legit! . . . It will NOT be played again! Now that I know it was legit, I have cooperated completely with the band’s management, and have been asked to turn over the CD, which I did. I no longer have it.””

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

The great rocker was probably Better and that was exactly the disc that leaked in 06 I'm guessing?

ClaudeF

ClaudeF wrote:
polluxlm wrote:

The great rocker was probably Better and that was exactly the disc that leaked in 06 I'm guessing?

Definitely sounds like that is the case: "Better," "I.R.S.," and "TWAT" plus their instrumental versions.

gavgnr
 Rep: 4 

gavgnr wrote:

Good times. The leaks have been more exciting than the official releases. Methinks it’s time for another batch

Board footer