You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Wilco
 Rep: 1 

Re: Why doesn’t GNR monetize their past tours more?

Wilco wrote:

It’s well known I’m a Stones fan.
The Stones have had several lineups and pretty much all have been represented in official releases of the band on film at various concerts or tours.

Eg Ireland 1965, Rock N’ Roll Circus 1968, Hyde Park 1969, Altamont 1969, Ladies and Gentlemen 1972, concert films for 1981 and 1982, and 1990 as well, and so on. You basically get a great overview of every lineup at various points

GN’R have only released three live concerts in full, Tokyo 1992, the 2012 show and now the Ritz 1991

But as we all know there were hundreds of shows between 1986 and 1993 alone, plus shows like the Joint 2001, House of Blues, and shows with the 2002-2014 lineups and the semi reunion lineup

That said, why don’t GNR release more live concerts on film? It would be an easy way for them to make money, and nice for us as well

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

It's a weird one, isn't it? During the CD years there was an obvious reason: they didn't want to reinforce the "Slash is GN'R" narrative and undermine the then-current lineup by releasing material showcasing the old lineup.

That's surely not an issue nowadays. I had a vague theory that there were legal hang-ups and disputes over royalties with the AFD/UYI lineups, but the live material on the AFD/UYI box sets gives the lie to that.

So… why? They have a mountain of archive material and it would only serve to drum up interest in the touring machine.

davegnfnr2k
 Rep: 1 

davegnfnr2k wrote:
Wilco wrote:

It’s well known I’m a Stones fan.
The Stones have had several lineups and pretty much all have been represented in official releases of the band on film at various concerts or tours.

Eg Ireland 1965, Rock N’ Roll Circus 1968, Hyde Park 1969, Altamont 1969, Ladies and Gentlemen 1972, concert films for 1981 and 1982, and 1990 as well, and so on. You basically get a great overview of every lineup at various points

GN’R have only released three live concerts in full, Tokyo 1992, the 2012 show and now the Ritz 1991

But as we all know there were hundreds of shows between 1986 and 1993 alone, plus shows like the Joint 2001, House of Blues, and shows with the 2002-2014 lineups and the semi reunion lineup

That said, why don’t GNR release more live concerts on film? It would be an easy way for them to make money, and nice for us as well

they taped all the UYI shows IIRC
its bc their management is a house keeper and pool boy

The one should I'd love to have in pristine quality is that Inglewood CA show that was their longest show ever until that Toyko one in 2009.

Kikkoman80
 Rep: 2 

Kikkoman80 wrote:

There was vaguely talk of New York, theater, 2017 ... but then nothing.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

The reunion show at the Troubador was almost released in some form, they had a production company work on it and everything but it didn't happen for whatever reason. I think they had a falling out with the production company in fact.

Maybe that will see the light of day eventually when they all retire from active touring.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I know I sound like a broken record but it all boils down to....

Management.

An A list manager...or at least a semi-competent team would see a pot of gold when looking at all the concerts in their archive...same with all the demos/alternate takes.

Fans have wanted specific shows for literally decades...

All the Ritz shows
One of the Stones opening ahows
Rio
Here Today Gone to Hell tour(we're getting one)
St Louis
Inglewood
Wembley
A Skin N Bones show

Could even work with Metallica on a joint project to document the co-headlining tour.

All this stuff (and much more) is just rotting. Doing something with this stuff would require hard work and in the case of The Perfect Crime....a lengthy project. There's no one onboard capable of tackling this.

We're lucky that the Ritz is even coming out.

I really wish Axl.was interested in this and hiring someone to properly deal with the archive.

Kikkoman80

Kikkoman80 wrote:

Why do they give the fuck?

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Problem is, Axl doesn’t take well to management these days. How many managers did they cycle through before setting on Team Brazil? They pretty much handle things the way he wants them to, I imagine. Or, he respects and cares for them so much that he won’t “fire” them at this point. So we get what we get and we don’t get upset.

Kikkoman80

Kikkoman80 wrote:

We get little.
And the little we get comes out very slowly .....

Kikkoman80

Kikkoman80 wrote:

The two new songs for the summer?

Board footer