You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Wilco
 Rep: 1 

Re: Should “Ain’t it Fun” have been on the UYIs?

Wilco wrote:

It was recorded during the sessions in 1991, even the vocals, so it was probably more than likely finished by the time the albums came out. Axl’s vocal track was recorded the same day as Mike Monroe laid down the harmonica track for Bad Obsession

That being said, should GNR have included it (perhaps in place of LALD or KOHD) on UYI I or II?

Or do you feel it works better as is on TSI?

I feel personally it would’ve done a great deal to keep their street cred if it had been on the UYIs, showed they still could rock just in just as real, mean and ugly a fashion as the newer groups at the time. Despite being a cover, it’s atmospherically to me a throwback to the swagger of Appetite. It’s wasted on TSI imo, since that album is pretty often overlooked by rock/music fans.

What do you think?

davegnfnr2k

davegnfnr2k wrote:

No the UYIs already had two covers didn't need a 3rd. Also what song from the UYIs would you take off? it would have to be one of the 5 minute songs.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

All the songs recorded for the albums should've made it.

The tracklists for the albums released 6-8 weeks before release included....

Don't Cry demo
Ain't Going Down
Ain't It Fun
Down on the Farm
Black Leather
New Rose
Attitude
I Don't Care About You

One problem....

There's not enough room. The project is simply too ambitious. Something has got to give...and it leaves few options...

Release 3 albums simultaneously

Remove a couple filler tracks and two "big guns" to make room for the above

Release them as B sides

Save them for a future "punk cover EP"

Obviously they went with the last choice.

Wilco

Wilco wrote:
davegnfnr2k wrote:

No the UYIs already had two covers didn't need a 3rd. Also what song from the UYIs would you take off? it would have to be one of the 5 minute songs.

I’d have cut KOHD (released it as a stand-alone A Side single) and cut GITR (b side or single only), and put Aint it Fun on UYI II after Yesterdays.

Wilco

Wilco wrote:
James wrote:

All the songs recorded for the albums should've made it.

The tracklists for the albums released 6-8 weeks before release included....

Don't Cry demo
Ain't Going Down
Ain't It Fun
Down on the Farm
Black Leather
New Rose
Attitude
I Don't Care About You

One problem....

There's not enough room. The project is simply too ambitious. Something has got to give...and it leaves few options...

Release 3 albums simultaneously

Remove a couple filler tracks and two "big guns" to make room for the above

Release them as B sides

Save them for a future "punk cover EP"

Obviously they went with the last choice.

One thing I will never understand re TSI is the usage of You Can’t Put Your Arms Around a Memory. It’s a good song and Duff has a good performance of it - but the placing of a Duff solo song is so lazy. It doesn’t even feature Slash on guitars! It’s just Duff and some guys from his solo record, even the electric guitar is just some dude.

It’s literally a solo album track pasted on there. They could’ve at least had Slash and Gilby overdub the guitars to make it seem less blatantly like a solo song pasted in.

Link31

Link31 wrote:

I've always thought it should have been on UYI II. The song is that good. Slash's guitar licks in between lyrics are fantastic. I'm sure they just wanted to save it for a covers album, but I've always though it would have fit perfectly on UYI.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

In my dream world it's not on UYI and TSI doesn't come out in 1993 and snakepit1 doesn't happen either.

Instead in 1995 we get a new GNR album that is a double set.

One disk is basically TSI, the second disk is originals with the best songs/riffs from 5'Oclock somewhere except sung by Axl and with Axl arrangements, and a couple of new Axl songs that were possibly around at the time - This I love etc.

Something that would have been a true follow up to UYI. The Axl stuff would satisfy the casual softer fans who liked GNR for the ballads, and the more guitar driven 5'oclock stuff put through an Axl filter would be kind of a return to AFD grit for those feeling GNR had gone too pop. TSI would be as it is now, great covers and a fun tribute to the bands rock and punk influences.

Sky Dog wrote:
Wilco wrote:
davegnfnr2k wrote:

I’d have cut KOHD (released it as a stand-alone A Side single) and cut GITR (b side or single only), and put Aint it Fun on UYI II after Yesterdays.

I agree!

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Wilco wrote:

One thing I will never understand re TSI is the usage of You Can’t Put Your Arms Around a Memory. It’s a good song and Duff has a good performance of it - but the placing of a Duff solo song is so lazy. It doesn’t even feature Slash on guitars! It’s just Duff and some guys from his solo record, even the electric guitar is just some dude.

It’s literally a solo album track pasted on there. They could’ve at least had Slash and Gilby overdub the guitars to make it seem less blatantly like a solo song pasted in.

To be fair, Axl stuck a track with his gardener playing guitar on there.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Ain’t It Fun is one of their very best covers. I think being on Spaghetti Incident it is lost to people outside of being hardcore fans, so it would definitely have benefited by being on UYI. But I can’t think of any track I’d substitute it for. Maybe My World, but that’s only a minute long or something…

Anyway, I noticed it’s also included on the Greatest Hits album (though a radio edit), so I hope that people who aren’t hardcores, are hearing it and discovering what a great cover it really is.

Board footer