You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Re: Slash Says Guns N’ Roses Have a ‘Couple of Epic’ Songs to Release

Scabbie wrote:

The sad thing is they will easily fill Hyde park. Enough casual punters with the £££ who will go down for a few beers or wine on a summer evening to watch SCOM, PC etc and hang out with friends. Lazy management knows where to find the low hanging fruit!

To be honest I'd be tempted simply as I think we're running out of opportunities to see this band. If they got back Izzy and Steven or Matt that would probably tip the scales as would a new album but we all know that won't happen given the timescales needed for a release.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

The other thing that might tempt me is if they created a line up with some really good supporting or headlining acts. Like motley crue and def leopard. Or Muse and Royal Blood. But I always seem to b underwhelmed with their choices.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

If they have no intentions of releasing new music, I wish they would shut the fuck up about it. All these cockteases of “it should be out by (US) Summer for the tour” which has long gone, and then there is no new release along complete silence about it, just pisses fans off.

I’m surprised they actually came through with the UYI box with how incompetent they are. Though looking at the lack of content and stupid price tag, just confirms their incompetence.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

The sad thing is they will easily fill Hyde park. Enough casual punters with the £££ who will go down for a few beers or wine on a summer evening to watch SCOM, PC etc and hang out with friends. Lazy management knows where to find the low hanging fruit!

They can definitely keep the nostalgia machine running for a few more years. There's enough casuals and non-fans willing to pay so they can post selfies of themselves rocking out to Jungle/SCOM/PC/NR.

Diminishing returns will be kicking in soon and it'll go from stadiums to arenas.

It's inevitable due to the unwillingness to do anything.

To be honest I'd be tempted simply as I think we're running out of opportunities to see this band

We're definitely running out of time.

Just like with Metallica....this is not a Rolling Stones type of band/situation where you can talk the songs as they enter their late 60s-70s.

There's probably a 5 year window where they can continue doing this at the level they are at now.

Even so...I'm sticking to my guns on my stance of no new album= no buying tickets.

I'm not rewarding the nostalgia trip. I saw it once in 2017...that's enough.

AgesOfTheIce
 Rep: 10 

AgesOfTheIce wrote:

I'm in the camp that feels that Axl is OK will releasing music that has already leaked/been played live, like Hardschool and Silkworms, but has issues with releasing totally new stuff. If the "epic" songs are tracks like Atlas/State Of Grace/Perhaps, I think we get them...stuff like Oklahoma/Soul Monster/The General, I wouldn't count on Axl being able to pull the trigger. I think there's a psychological block there.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
AgesOfTheIce wrote:

I'm in the camp that feels that Axl is OK will releasing music that has already leaked/been played live, like Hardschool and Silkworms, but has issues with releasing totally new stuff. If the "epic" songs are tracks like Atlas/State Of Grace/Perhaps, I think we get them...stuff like Oklahoma/Soul Monster/The General, I wouldn't count on Axl being able to pull the trigger. I think there's a psychological block there.

Fair point...not sure I agree completely.

If true....Atlas or Perhaps should've been released on that last tour instead of either Absurd or Hard School.

In the case of Atlas....the original rumors right after the reunion started was that they had done some recording...and Atlas was specifically mentioned. Whether it was true or not(at the time), it should've been seriously considered an option.

Instead...we get an obvious throwaway track as their first song together in 25 years. Any buzz they could've gotten flushed.

The release of Absurd also felt like a passive aggressive form of trolling....they left the band partially due to the change in direction(OMG), so here's another similar song recorded in that same period of time to chew on... showing they never should've left in the first place.

Hard School made a bit more sense but again...any potential it had wasted due to zero promo  and the lack of interest already underway thanks to Absurd.

It's a messed up situation for hardcore fans...

We're clearly not getting a full length album... ever IMO. If we were going to, it would've happened in 2017-18 after the 2016 buzz wore off and they needed something to give it a boost.

Fuck....they couldn't even be bothered to do what 99% of reunited bands do....release a new GH/Best of.

Best case scenario is us getting a couple songs during their Euro tour to help promote it....and I'm starting to believe the idea was dropped.

Whatever way they release something next year(IF they do it)... whether a single, single with B side, or blowing us away with an EP, I think it's the last new material we get.

If your theory is correct, we're probably getting Atlas and/or Perhaps.

If not.... we're probably getting one or two of the so called big guns.

After that....it's over.

We went from waiting on the "second half of Chinese" to waiting on a couple songs from the same vault.

I think there's a psychological block there

I think the "psychological block" is that he doesn't care about it (unreleased material) anymore....and hasn't for a very long time.

How many times has he talked about new material since 2008?

2 or 3 times over the course of 14 years.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I can respect the concept of not supporting stuff until no new album but I think the nature of GNR is the casual following is just so big it doesn't matter what we do. They will never exhaust the casual market before they get old and die.

I agree it will get smaller in nature.

But they got room to breathe...like it was 5 years between shows here....so next time they could do 2 nights an at arenea...the time afrer that one night....the time after that make it a co-headline bill with another nostalgia act....that puts them in their mid 70s or whatever.....

Thats why i decided to go anyway. I figure it is what it is and they do what they wanna do. I might as well enjoy what I can about it.

It's interesting that Absurd came out...I wonder if that happened to troll pitman a little lol.

But the fact they released Absurd/Hardschool was really positive to me. I know its horseshit compared to what other bands do. But for them that's a lot...like new music...actual new music too like songs that have not been properly released before not a live album and not former B sides redone...ok..they were leaks from the past but they were new in offical terms for real.....and without waiting till they can redo an album deal or something that would take the rest of our lives to happen....I dunno i'm sort of glad...it showed it can happen...if they can put out 2 songs last year they can put out 2 songs next year....it's shit slow but i'll take it over nothing...which is kinda the alternative it seems!

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I realised it when I went to the show the other night and causals near me were giving each other high fives when the hits came on.

Like songs they're basically guaranteed to play like nighttrain and SCOM and PC....but they're like "oh yeah, they played my song" and losing their shit like they just won powerball or bingo or something.

Like for every me that would get excited for twat or locomotive there's 1000 dudes in the audience who thank their lucky stars if they play November Rain. 16

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Scabbie wrote:

The other thing that might tempt me is if they created a line up with some really good supporting or headlining acts. Like motley crue and def leopard. Or Muse and Royal Blood. But I always seem to b underwhelmed with their choices.

I was gutted they had The Darkness as the support act at Imola a few years back, and didn't have them in the UK. Where they'd have a receptive audience.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I realised it when I went to the show the other night and causals near me were giving each other high fives when the hits came on.

Like songs they're basically guaranteed to play like nighttrain and SCOM and PC....but they're like "oh yeah, they played my song" and losing their shit like they just won powerball or bingo or something.

Like for every me that would get excited for twat or locomotive there's 1000 dudes in the audience who thank their lucky stars if they play November Rain. 16

I wonder how many concert goers are there for anything BUT the music. When they hit a city near me last year, I noticed a lot of people I knew were going to the show, and I would say nobody was really a fan of the band. Maybe they like a few songs, but most popular bands can say that. I think they went just so they could be part of "the event".

I wouldn't even go to a Fleetwood Mac show, and I kinda like them quite a lot. They're just not on that level where I want to spend money on tickets and traveling costs. But I guess most people don't think like that.

Board footer