You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Christine McVie Dead at 79

James wrote:

From Facebook...

“On behalf of Christine McVie’s family, it is with a heavy heart we are informing you of Christine’s death. She passed away peacefully at hospital this morning, Wednesday, November 30th 2022, following a short illness. She was in the company of her family. We kindly ask that you respect the family’s privacy at this extremely painful time, and we would like everyone to keep Christine in their hearts and remember the life of an incredible human being, and revered musician who was loved universally. RIP Christine McVie.”

Devastating. I know she was old, lived a long and amazing life, but that doesn't really lessen the impact.

End of an era.

I know Mick Fleetwood has been wanting to continue the band in some form but it's time to end it. End it with what dignity it still has.

Ill be listening to them for days.

My favorite Christine song...and also one of my all time favorite songs period...

Late 70s Mac one of the greatest live bands in history.

RIP

James

James wrote:

It's time for Fleetwood Mac fans... especially those who focus on the Stevie-Lindsey drama...to admit she pretty much held it all together. Without her songs on those albums, they would've had much less of an impact.

Imagine Tango without her two big hits.

Here's a couple lesser known songs....

One more thing....

Buckingham recently canceled his tour.... speculation is health issues.

jonesy
 Rep: 15 

jonesy wrote:

Shocking thing is that I didn’t realise she was 79, that’s scary as I just don’t equate the band with that kind of age. Timeless music. It’s inevitable though, Christ I’m 46 and these guys were peaking when I was a new born baby. She was only three years younger than my mum.

All that aside, Rumours & Tango, they don’t come much bigger than that. RIP Christine.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

sad

Been listening to Tango all day. I wonder what that illness was because she was in good shape

James

James wrote:

Shocking thing is that I didn’t realise she was 79,

Blew me away too. With a gun to my head, I would've bet the farm on Fleetwood being the oldest with John coming in second...then Christine. Those two founded Mac...but I always forget Christine's previous band Chicken Shack.

that’s scary as I just don’t equate the band with that kind of age

I do this a lot with many bands/artists as I don't really follow many anymore...I visually picture them all in their prime.

Couple months ago I clicked on a live Megadeth video from their recent tour and it was shocking to see Mustaine so old.

Been listening to Tango all day. I wonder what that illness was because she was in good shape

I hope you're listening to the deluxe edition. It's required for a fan. The alt takes/mixes and bonus tracks are amazing and in the case of Isn't It Midnight... better than the regular version IMO.

You and I part 1 never should've been taken off the album.

Edit

Whatever her illness was, it came on quick. Stevie said no one knew she was sick until Saturday. They wanted to fly to London but the family told them to wait.

IMO Christine knew she was dying and just wanted to be with her family.

James

James wrote:

They could literally release a special GH/Best of tribute album that contains only Christine's songs...and zero filler needed.

Warm Ways
Hold Me
As Long As You Follow
Say You Love Me
Little Lies
Over My Head
Over and Over
Wisb You Were Here
Why
Don't Stop
Songbird
You Make Loving Fun
Everywhere
Think About Me
Isn't It Midnight
Save Me

Incredible.

You could go even deeper into the discog and easily make it a double.

As amazing as the rest are, you'd have more difficulty putting a Lindsey or Stevie tribute together without padding it out with some filler or solo material.

James

James wrote:

Been listening to Tusk tonight. This project was way too ambitious. Anyways...while not a Christine song...this song is such a jam...

I need the single. I like the photo they used...Stevie looks completely different...

220px-Sisters_of_the_Moon_cover.jpg

Best Christine song on Tusk....

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

James have you listened to Say You Will? There’s some really great stuff on this album

James

James wrote:
misterID wrote:

James have you listened to Say You Will? There’s some really great stuff on this album

I need to give it another listen.  Only song I have from the album on my computer is the title track.

My problem with the post- Tango era Mac is I don't consider the studio lineup(s) to be Fleetwood Mac. After 1987.....it's always missing one or two of....

Lindsey Buckingham
Stevie Nicks
Christine McVie

Live and in studio, they need all three.  The songs don't sound the same live and when recording albums, it always suffers.

Say You Will is the closest we got to a genuine reunion album.  It's a travesty...even moreso now...that Christine wouldn't come back for the album.

It's basically a Buckingham solo.album with some of Stevie's rejects added to fill it out... although the title track is decent.

Always felt bad for Buckingham. He sacrificed his own solo career...which he desperately wanted to be a success...at key points in his/their career to keep Fleetwood Mac going. Tango is the big enchilada...it probably shouldn't even exist. Mick had to beg him to turn his solo project into Tango.

The guy who kept em going on a high level was tossed overboard in the final chapter... preventing any sort of farewell tour of the classic lineup.

Thanks Stevie.  lol

Stevie also prevented a swan song album because she didn't want to contribute anything and because "albums don't sell anymore". Instead of a final Fleetwood album, it became a Buckingham-Mcvie album. I also need to give that another listen.

You ever watched the AOL session?

They look miserable/bored.

They really needed to do an album right after The Dance in 97.  Instead it became about doing the nostalgia touring and before anything could come together, Christine left again.

They were still young enough to pull off a decent comeback. It could've been their Steel Wheels.

Edit

Best song they ever did without Buckingham...and it also happened to be the first. They did it to have something new to promote that Greatest Hits at the time.

James

James wrote:

Been listening to the 1974 Heroes Are Hard To Find album...the last album with Bob Welch before he bails and they bring in Lindsey and Stevie to replace him.

It's pretty damn good. An interesting album in the discography...the first Mac album to make the top 40 even though they're not really pushing it.

Couple highlights....

Angel

The title track... Christine on vocals

That lineup had potential although no chance of hitting the level they would in 75-79.

The production on the pre-Lindsey-Stevie albums a bit rough/gritty. You can tell the budget was limited. Part of its charm I suppose.

Here they are doing Angel live...one of the last performances of this lineup....

Board footer