You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Fat shows

polluxlm wrote:

Just a question for you Americans.

You see these gigantic fat people in all these shows and I'm always wondering where does the money come from? They eat 5-10 times that of a normal person, every day. One show the family went out to buy TEN pizzas for their meal. On their way from the restaurant, the father had already managed to scoop down 2 full pizzas. I think they cost 10 dollars a piece, so that is a 100 every day just for the evening meal.

If I spent more than a 100 each day in food I'd go broke fast.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Never heard of this unless you mean a hot dog eating contest. I don’t think it’s a mainstream event.

Unless you’re referring to reality tv. My wife likes watching the 1000# sisters.  Only in America is morbid obesity a sign of poverty.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Yes, reality tv. A couple of different shows. Of course the person eating doesn't have a job, and the family don't appear to employed in any high paying job either.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

I told my wife last week I think people watch these shows because freak shows are no longer a thing and people like watching how fucked up and unhappy others are to feel better about themselves.  My wife didn't like that psychoanalysis of her viewing habits, but I still think it's true.

You should checkout the show "Hoarders".  The most famous one is a woman who bottles and keeps her own shit, and actually enjoys shit in her food.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Can't speak for the USA but I know in Australia often junk and less healthy foods can be a bit cheaper per calorie than healthier ones.

Stuff like pre-packaged chocolate vs pre-packaged salad over here is going to be vaguely similar in price but with pretty different stuff in it.

But I see what you mean that if someone is eating a week's food a night then that has a financial impact.

Could be a sign of our affluence I suppose. But then as with other "hobbies", once you get into a middle class lifestyle, some of it is how much you devote to that interest to the exclusion of other things. Like these people most likely have less active hobbies than some people who eat less etc.

Board footer