You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Sinead O'Connor Dead at 56

James wrote:

Devastating.

A Top 5 female artist in my book. Her first two albums incredible. It should've only been the beginning...she was on her way to headlining arenas/stadiums...and then she went off the rails on a crazy train.

She never recovered. The muse was gone. Her denons took her down...and she stayed down.

She got to have a minor comeback years ago but she was a shadow of herself at that point.

I'm so glad that amazing documentary got to happen while she was alive.

It's time to open up the vaults.

I'm gonna have to giver her albums from her later period another chance.

She was on fire 88-91....

There will never be another one like her ever again.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Don't forget arguably the most important thing she did:

She was vilified for it. And she was right.

In the words of another musical artist:

James

James wrote:

Yeah she was right...but look at the cost!

It completely destroyed her career. There was no coming back from that.

I know she claimed she didn't regret it...but I'm not sure I believe her. She was in the depths of severe mental illness at the time and having some difficulty dealing with stardom.

She essentially fell into some sort of loop where she had to keep topping herself...from boycotting awards because of the lack of black artists (rap) to being opposed to the Gulf War, refusal over the national anthem, and of course SNL as the big climax.

The over the top reaction wasn't fair of course... certainly not worthy of imploding the career of such a talent.

I don't think she really expected such a reaction.

Have you watched her documentary that came out last year? It's amazing.  A lot of great footage.

It's sad how she died as people in general were starting to get over that crap and an image makeover appeared to be on the horizon.

James

James wrote:

Holy shit..... Morrissey hits a grand slam here....

“She had only so much ‘self’ to give. She was dropped by her label after selling 7 million albums for them. She became crazed, yes, but uninteresting, never. She had done nothing wrong. She had proud vulnerability … and there is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don’t ‘fit in’ (this I know only too well), and they are never praised until death - when, finally, they can’t answer back.

The cruel playpen of fame gushes with praise for Sinead today … with the usual moronic labels of “icon” and “legend”. You praise her now ONLY because it is too late. You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you. The press will label artists as pests because of what they withhold … and they would call Sinead sad, fat, shocking, insane … oh but not today!

Music CEOs who had put on their most charming smile as they refused her for their roster are queuing-up to call her a “feminist icon”, and 15 minute celebrities and goblins from hell and record labels of artificially aroused diversity are squeezing onto Twitter to twitter their jibber-jabber … when it was YOU who talked Sinead into giving up … because she refused to be labelled, and she was degraded, as those few who move the world are always degraded.

Why is ANYBODY surprised that Sinead O’Connor is dead? Who cared enough to save Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Billie Holiday? Where do you go when death can be the best outcome? Was this music madness worth Sinead’s life? No, it wasn’t. She was a challenge, and she couldn’t be boxed-up, and she had the courage to speak when everyone else stayed safely silent. She was harassed simply for being herself. Her eyes finally closed in search of a soul she could call her own.

As always, the lamestreamers miss the ringing point, and with locked jaws they return to the insultingly stupid “icon” and “legend” when last week words far more cruel and dismissive would have done.

Tomorrow the fawning fops flip back to their online ****posts and their cosy Cancer Culture and their moral superiority and their obituaries of parroted vomit … all of which will catch you lying on days like today … when Sinead doesn’t need your sterile slop.”

James

James wrote:

The Letterman YouTube channel uploaded her US debut in good quality. Crazy how it took her death for it to happen.

God she was amazing.

All the pop tarts of today combined aren't even worthy of being a wart on her ass.

That is just pure raw talent on display.

It's a travesty how it so quickly fell apart. She had unlimited potential. Any time I hear this song or something like Jump In The River...

It makes me wish she had joined a rock band when she was on top of the world.

Her version of House of the Rising Sun....

Troy from The Value of Ignorance DVD....

Haunting.

James

James wrote:

More awesomeness....

Her cover of Cole Porter's You Do Something To Me....

Fire On Babylon at Top of the Pops

She should've been allowed back on top during that album. It's 1994... she'd already been crucified for two years at that point...that is more than enough...she's young and she's still got gas in the tank. While I preferred her bald...the new look suits her well.

I think she was hoping for a legit comeback at that point...and she's lucky she even got to promote it on some of these shows.

TPTB weren't having it though. An amazing song yet doesn't even chart in the US or the UK. Was on various other charts for a couple weeks and that's it.

Board footer