You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The NFL 2008 Offseason Thread

James wrote:

Strahan coming back?:nervous:

While cooking, I heard this mentioned on the NFL Network.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he comes back due to that injury. Besides, its the NFC. Anything can happen.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

The Giants have reached out to Strahan. If something is to happen, it'll have to happen soon.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

here's an article for James 16

Fri Aug 29, 2008 14:56 EDT

Love/Hate: Chicago Bears
By MJD
As we continue gathering steam towards the regular season, Shutdown Corner touches on all 32 teams, outlining reasons to love and/or hate them. Today, the Chicago Bears.

Love the Bears:

This team could set records. Since adopting a 16-game schedule, the record for fewest points scored in a season is held by the 1992 Seahawks with 140, averaging 8.75 points per game. This Bears team could give chase. Let's break it down. 

At quarterback, we're likely to see both Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton, who I think could accurately be described as a modern-day Stan Gelbaugh and Kelly Stouffer. I'd call that a wash. At running back, the Seahawks had Chris Warren (1,017 yards) and John L. Williams, who caught 74 balls for 556 yards from the fullback position. I'll take that duo over rookie Matt Forte. I'll give the Bears the advantage at receiver, though, with Marty Booker, Brandon Lloyd, Rashied Davis, and Devin Hester, over the Seahawks duo of Lewis Clark and Tommy Kane.

I can't really call the offensive lines. According to Football Outsiders, the Bears O-line ranked 30th in the league in rushing last year, and 18th in passing. That's not very good, but the Seahawks line gave up an astounding 67 sacks in 1992.

Ultimately, I don't think the Bears will break that record. Their defense will force enough turnovers, create good field position, and score enough points on their own to keep them out of the record books. But we will be keeping an eye on it.

Hate the Bears:

Because if by some miracle this team is successful, there could be devastating consequences. The NFL is a league of copycats. If the impossible happens, the rest of the NFC implodes, and the Bears get to the Super Bowl, everyone will get the idea that offense isn't necessary for success. A league where everyone thinks defense first isn't good for anybody, and it does seem to happen cyclically in the NFL.

Devin Hester. Hester should be something to love about the Bears, right? Well, yes and no. On one hand, he's maybe the most dynamic and explosive talent in the league, but on the other hand, he also dramatically highlights everything else that's wrong with the team. I like watching him take one to the house as much as anybody, but I hate thinking afterwards, "It's a shame that he's the Bears entire offense." And if everyone starts punting the ball out of bounds (and they absolutely should), Bears games could become positively grim

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Chicago isn't going to the SB. However, they can do serious damage to teams that do have SB aspirations.

Cant wait for the season to start.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Chicago isn't going to the SB. However, they can do serious damage to teams that do have SB aspirations.

Cant wait for the season to start.

Yeah, the Bears are probably gonna be aweful...  but most of the NFC isn't very good either, so it's pretty wide open.

I actually thought the O line looked surprisingly good in that last preseason game...  I don't know how much that means, because I was expecting them to be about as bad as this guy said, but I didn't think they looked that bad....  But the D looked aweful that day.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Did the Giants ever pick up Jerome McDougle??

If so it was a wise move since Umenuyra (i bothed that didn't I?) went down. He was a lazy bastard here but is the type to do well somewhere else & come back to haunt us. He had a good preseason, only he also had 5 horrible seasons here as well.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Season over for Ravens QB Boller
By DAVID GINSBURG, AP Sports Writer
1 hour, 51 minutes ago

Buzz Up PrintOWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP)'”Quarterback Kyle Boller was placed on injured reserve by the Baltimore Ravens on Wednesday, ending his season and perhaps his stay with the team.

Boller hurt his shoulder in Baltimore's second preseason game against the Minnesota Vikings and has not played since.

Coach John Harbaugh described the injury as either a torn labrum or other damage that would render Boller unable to play this year.

Boller was to enter his sixth NFL season, all with Baltimore. He is in the final year of his contract. Boller entered the preseason competing for the starting job with Troy Smith and top draft pick Joe Flacco, who ultimately won the job because of Boller's injury and Smith's lengthy battle with infected tonsils.

NY Giants82

NY Giants82 wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Did the Giants ever pick up Jerome McDougle??

If so it was a wise move since Umenuyra (i bothed that didn't I?) went down. He was a lazy bastard here but is the type to do well somewhere else & come back to haunt us. He had a good preseason, only he also had 5 horrible seasons here as well.

Yep, the Giants signed McDougle Sunday. It is really a low risk-high reward type thing. He'll fit in well in the Giants Four Aces package. Some people said that losing Strahan and Umenyiora would cripple the Giants D, but it wont with Tuck and Kiwanuka as starters. Where it was really going to effect the Giants was in the special Four Aces package (where they lined up four quality DEs on the line and just let them wreak havoc), and depth. If one of Tuck or Kiwanuka goes down, then the Giants will be effected. But this is what made the McDougle signing so important. They can insert him in the passing downs and also spell Tuck or Kiwanuka, and if they get hurt.

On a side note, the Giants looked to draft McDougle back in 03, but the Eagles jumped in front of the Giants and got him. Funny how things work out.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, funny. 2 sacks in 5 years, a season ending gunshot wound, and a 30 yard penality that about ended the seasons chances for the playoffs (15 yard facemask on 3rd down & then 15 yards for kicking the flag, putting the other team from 4th & long to field goal position).

Real funny.. 16 16 hmm

NY Giants82

NY Giants82 wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

Yeah, funny. 2 sacks in 5 years, a season ending gunshot wound, and a 30 yard penality that about ended the seasons chances for the playoffs (15 yard facemask on 3rd down & then 15 yards for kicking the flag, putting the other team from 4th & long to field goal position).

Real funny.. 16 16 hmm

Maybe a change of scenery will help the guy.

Can you imagine Coughlin's reaction if he pulled something like that? His head would explode!:haha:

Board footer