You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

Re: The General confirmed next

jimmythegent wrote:

We really think it’s possible this thing is an instrumental? That would be a massive anticlimax

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

ClaudeF wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

We really think it’s possible this thing is an instrumental? That would be a massive anticlimax

This band never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

That said, the cellphone recording — if it really is “The General” — suggests a grand slam vocal performance.

Clear
 Rep: 0 

Clear wrote:

I don't believe it's instrumental, if it were they could have just made a new instrumental and sold that. If it turns out to be instrumental, than I don't know what to say... Just wow

busngabb
 Rep: 1 

busngabb wrote:
jimmythegent wrote:

There are quite a few people who claim that over the years. However there are plenty that say the opposite. Sebastian Bach said it had screaming vocals by Axl and the party recording did appear to have vocals.

The bits we've heard of The General were the intro to Chinese Democracy when they played it live. That was a slow, haunting instrumental and lasted a couple of minutes and never really did anything but brood, so it's not hard to imagine it being a 7 minute piece with no lyrics. We've also had Fortus speak about it recently and describe it as 'just a B-side' and not say anything about it at all and then speak about how good a song Perhaps is, which is another sign it's either not a full song as such, or it's not a good one.

But I'm still clinging on to Bach's version of the song and also what Fernando said about Perhaps being a great song, but The General being 'a monster'. If it's a poor song or an instrumental, why release it at all? I'm sure there are some other trash songs from that era, why not leave it as a myth if it's not a piece worthy of the hype?

Hopefully it leaks before the release date anyway. It would keep the tradition of the album going.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

How can it be an instrumental? That party recording is clearly Axl and he's belting out something. Unless that's an entirely different song - but then - what was that?

I don't see any real basis for thinking it was an instrumental except that it was an instrumental 15+ years ago, and given GNR I don't think have ever released a pure instrumental, and a version of this song already leaked with some sort of lyrics...it just doesn't make sense to me even as a B side.

I think we will get the party leak with Slash over dubbed. If we are lucky slash put some effort in to make it epic and spooky like his universal studios guitar, if we are unlucky he just played any old chords to fill the space. If we are lucky Axl left his spooky scream vocals. If we are unlucky he lowered them in the mix and resang it in low register so they can still peform it live these days.

Lets hope for a bit of luck.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

^^ what Monkey said. That recording kills these rumors that it’s only an instrumental or that it’s State Of Grace.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

I dreamt about this song last night. It definitely has vocals. 16

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

Obviously setting myself up for a fall here lol but these were the words i thought I heard in it when i messed around with it. I'll leave these here so you can all make fun of me when it comes out and is completely different.lol

Too young to fight,  we didn't need to
you must survive, we'll do it
(another 2 lines repeat in same melody but can't decipher them)

They'll know that your here (seems to be a different voice, maybe Stinson)
I can hear you, not see you

I have a monstrous life (Axl clean voice)
monsters call me
monsters coming

(Heavy section with rasp vocals)

Now those put it down now, cant get out
theres no escaping now, down in the fucking ground
Anarchy, anarchy, we put out
Too many stumble in this world and ill make it now
Now fucking strip those, seems we got no time
have to hide the truth
I bet your handling inside
Let go of me, now you said you loved me
Does this burn? Does this burn?
baby i know what your thinking.

Obviously there going to be wrong, if I got any words right at all i'll be happy.

The words Evader heard I believe were...

[Chorus]
Do you remember who did it?
Who did that to you...
Who would do this to you?
Who would do this to you? To the young!
Who would do that to me, boy?
Up to abuse, in fact you knew them
Who wants to lose?
To lose
Do you?

[Verse]
I've got hopes and dreams, and I must feel bolder
My hopes, my dreams have died
Now I rest my hate in the rumors as they're pushin' through
There's a child now chained to the bed now
To me it's time I'm always workin' and I'm gonna get out
I think it's high time you should fuckin' die, child
I think this time you've broken everything inside
I won't be ever satisfied
This is why, baby, you know I got you

[Chorus]
Do you remember who did it?
Who did, that to you...
Who would do this, to you?
Who would do this to you? To the young!
Who would that to me, boy?
Up to abuse, in fact we knew them
Who wants to lose?
To lose
Do you?

I hope this thing goes to streaming before those records get sent out, I find it hard to believe that it's only coming out on the 7"

busngabb
 Rep: 1 

busngabb wrote:

I must hand it to you hearing all that from the party leak. I can't hear a single word in there. It could just as easily be someone watching the Lion King with a washing machine in the background as that.

evader
 Rep: 27 

evader wrote:
busngabb wrote:

I must hand it to you hearing all that from the party leak. I can't hear a single word in there. It could just as easily be someone watching the Lion King with a washing machine in the background as that.

Don't feel bad about not hearing a single word on the party leak. When I first received the cellphone clip, I'm pretty sure that at least 6 other GNR superfans already had it. How shitty is that clip? Zero of those 6 superfans had any clue what the song was. None could make out a single word. None had identified the familiar orchestration. And as far as I could tell, none of the six were even 100% certain it was GNR - well, except maybe the guy who recorded it.

So, don't be surprised if none of the words Shacklermyrye posted above are correct - neither his nor mine. We were just doing the best we could with what we had.

Edit to add: The second chorus is NOT part of the clip. The party clip abruptly ends at the end of the screaming part, and I came to the conclusion that there MUST be another chorus that follows. Hell, it may not even be the chorus. For all I know, the screaming part is the chorus.

Board footer