You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: The General confirmed next

misterID wrote:
boneshj wrote:

Late to this one, but this is the "big gun" we've been waiting for? 

Kind of lame.  A symphonic tribute to the riff from Black Sabbath with Axl's vocal overdubbed 60 times to the point of sounding like nothing for something between 4-7 minutes.  I'm not so sure that's "Good News".

That’s like from a 30 second cellphone clip, it’s not an actual representation of the song. I’m actually most impressed with how he cleaned up the opening orchestration which is all we ever had of the general. If anything it should put to rest that the song is industrial, doesn’t have lyrics or is State of Grace. There’s a lot of potential there.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Oklahoma instrumental because that was def not what I imagined

guts
 Rep: 1 

guts wrote:

Yeah that is Evaders version of The General which is fanmade.

boneshj
 Rep: 4 

boneshj wrote:

Okay, it gives a bit of hope then.

Tmgladden
 Rep: 2 

Tmgladden wrote:
evader wrote:
James wrote:

Kinda crazy with your history of working on this that they never gave it to you just out of curiosity to see how much you could improve it.

Maybe they thought I got everything wrong. They wouldn't be the only one. Even my most trusted advisor thought I was losing my mind with some things I thought I heard in the clip (like Axl speaking before the screaming verse).

Anyway, the gatekeeper of the extended clip said there really wasn't much of the song that could be heard - suggesting that the rest of the file was worse than what we already have. If that's the case, I really don't know if I'd have the same patience with it as I had years ago. But if they feel like sending it to me, I'll be more than happy to evaluate it.

Bluefish18
 Rep: 2 

Bluefish18 wrote:

I've never listened to this leak,and have no real anticipatiom for it to be anything special.  It may be a huge get for some fans,and i hope it lives up to your expectations.  I'm hoping for an Oklahoma release, but i doubt that ever happens.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Something Axl might care to bear in mind...

https://www.wsj.com/arts-culture/music/ … c-182dc907

After reading that...it makes me wish they were younger and more ambitious.

An ambitious, motivated Axl could do something interesting in today's climate.

I'd also love to see 1970s Roger Waters in today's world where there's really no limits....your project not confined to LP/8 track length while at the same time a major focus is on short singles.

The Wall would've been the length of a box set...for better or worse. Also imagine trying to get some of their 10-17 minute epics boiled down to 3-4 minutes so it can trend on various platforms.

Taking it back to GNR...

Would the 2020s have increased the chances of that extended November Rain actually getting a release?

I think it's quite interesting, in light of that article, that Duff and Slash stripped the meandering noodly intro off Hard Skool. And Perhaps is a bit quicker off the mark than the demo, too.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Shacklermyrye wrote:

Fernando if you read this I would like the next song to be Atlas but just released on 8-track and then maybe Zodiac or whatever the Piano moving jam is on Gramaphone.

Thankyou this song is better than the last one

Release the Asshole Song you cowards

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

elevendayempire wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

Fernando if you read this I would like the next song to be Atlas but just released on 8-track and then maybe Zodiac or whatever the Piano moving jam is on Gramaphone.

Thankyou this song is better than the last one

Release the Asshole Song you cowards

How much of an asshole nobody can say... The piano to that song is close to Perhaps

As far as the general goes if it was tommorow the Linkto link would be working by now, I think there is a chance we get it next Friday on the 29th

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

I'll be honest I have no expectations for this song.  I don't mean this negatively.  But it's just a song.  So I won't go apeshit if it's grand, bad or somewhere in between.

If it lives up to the hype, I'll be a bit sad that they didn't release it sooner or Axl wasted a bunch of his years not releasing music.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

I'll be honest I have no expectations for this song.  I don't mean this negatively.  But it's just a song.  So I won't go apeshit if it's grand, bad or somewhere in between.

If it lives up to the hype, I'll be a bit sad that they didn't release it sooner or Axl wasted a bunch of his years not releasing music.

Yeah that's the kicker regarding The General or another song potentially being amazing... knowing that it should've been out 15-20 years ago.

It was the first thing I thought of when listening to that radio premiere of Perhaps...should've been on the cruising soundtrack in our youth.

I won't go ape shit if it sucks neither....just disappointment not only about The General but the rest of the vault as well.

Hadn't exactly thought of it this way before but the post CD song releases...Absurd, Hard School, and Perhaps...are not as good as the songs from CD. If we split hairs, better than Scraped and Shackler I suppose. Not really album worthy though...good album worthy anyways. 16

Remember his 2002 comment about the album potentially being 18 tracks and 10 B sides? These three recent releases would belong in that group of 10.

Board footer