You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: The General confirmed next

James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

James, you are out of your mind if you put Steel Wheels up against 2 records that are widely considered in discussions about greatest albums of all time! Come on….both albums also sold significantly more than Steel Wheels.

I'd love to see the album sales of these albums 1988-90. In both U2 and GNR's case, massive records in 91 ( Achtung Baby & UYI) caused huge increases in back catalogue sales...same as what happened with Metallica post-Black album.

I have a feeling they were probably pretty close. Rattle & Hum got mixed reviews to say the least..and Lies quickly dropped off the charts to the point the label started pushing AFD again. Steel Wheels one of the Stones most popular albums (back then).

Rattle & Hum - 14 Million (5 million US)
Lies - 12 Million (5 million US)
Steel Wheels - 3 Million (2 million US)

As we've talked about before, the Stones aren't an album band...they're a singles band.  Their #1 selling album... Hot Rocks...has only sold 6 million copies...yet they're the biggest band in the world and have been for decades.

Cream of the crop....

Lies

Move to the City
Patience
Used to Love Her
You're Crazy
One In A Million

Rattle & Hum

Helter Skelter
Desire
Angel of Harlem
When Love Comes To Town

Steel Wheels

Mixed Emotions
Terrifying
Rock and A Hard Place
Can't Be Seen
Almost Hear You Sigh
Continental Drift
Slipping Away

I'd put that batch of Stones songs up against those above any day of the week.. although Continental Drift is definitely drifting towards filler.

You're Crazy the best song overall...Patience the best ballad although Almost Hear You Sigh gives it a run for its money...and Helter Skelter the best cover out of the albums above.

Glad this discussion happened because it caused me to listen to Rattle & Hum for the first time in 2-3 years.

Amazing. They didn't just steal it back from Charles Manson, they stole it from The Beatles.

Probably should've made it to #1... at least for a week...but too many monster singles in April 89.

Edit

Just like with 1980s Stones overall, Rattle & Hum deserves a reassessment.

James

James wrote:
evader wrote:
Gong wrote:

https://aegwebprod.blob.core.windows.ne … poster.jpg

Clear wrote:

Is anyone expecting the general tomorrow?

Likely around Oct 6. for the Power Trip Festival

Playing with Maiden, GNR should be contractually obligated to dust off the 1988 version of "It Tastes Good, Don't It".

If they were to drop a previously unknown 1988 studio version of ITGDI (with Izzy and Steven) and a full version of The General in short succession, I'd have no choice but to become a fan of this band again.

Holy shit...I don't think I ever heard this version of the song. Still not really a fan...but how in the hell does this not get recorded for Lies, as a B side, or for UYI?

One of the travesties of GNR...

They were on fire in 88 yet recorded so little.

God I miss that band. They're on The Late Show promoting AFD but they're actually giving the world a taste of their next album.

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Hey Axl, look what happens when you get a band in the studio and just bash out a song as live, instead of overthinking it.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/music/what- … en-review/

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
James wrote:
Sky Dog wrote:

James, you are out of your mind if you put Steel Wheels up against 2 records that are widely considered in discussions about greatest albums of all time! Come on….both albums also sold significantly more than Steel Wheels.

I'd love to see the album sales of these albums 1988-90. In both U2 and GNR's case, massive records in 91 ( Achtung Baby & UYI) caused huge increases in back catalogue sales...same as what happened with Metallica post-Black album.

I have a feeling they were probably pretty close. Rattle & Hum got mixed reviews to say the least..and Lies quickly dropped off the charts to the point the label started pushing AFD again. Steel Wheels one of the Stones most popular albums (back then).

Rattle & Hum - 14 Million (5 million US)
Lies - 12 Million (5 million US)
Steel Wheels - 3 Million (2 million US)

As we've talked about before, the Stones aren't an album band...they're a singles band.  Their #1 selling album... Hot Rocks...has only sold 6 million copies...yet they're the biggest band in the world and have been for decades.

Cream of the crop....

Lies

Move to the City
Patience
Used to Love Her
You're Crazy
One In A Million

Rattle & Hum

Helter Skelter
Desire
Angel of Harlem
When Love Comes To Town

Steel Wheels

Mixed Emotions
Terrifying
Rock and A Hard Place
Can't Be Seen
Almost Hear You Sigh
Continental Drift
Slipping Away

I'd put that batch of Stones songs up against those above any day of the week.. although Continental Drift is definitely drifting towards filler.

You're Crazy the best song overall...Patience the best ballad although Almost Hear You Sigh gives it a run for its money...and Helter Skelter the best cover out of the albums above.

Glad this discussion happened because it caused me to listen to Rattle & Hum for the first time in 2-3 years.

Amazing. They didn't just steal it back from Charles Manson, they stole it from The Beatles.

Probably should've made it to #1... at least for a week...but too many monster singles in April 89.

Edit

Just like with 1980s Stones overall, Rattle & Hum deserves a reassessment.

Appetite was massive from 1988 to 1989, so massive that GN’R Lies even sold a ton of copies despite not even being a full album.

I don’t think the Illusion albums had anything to do with Appetite’s success. It’s the other way around. The Illusion albums and Lies both rode the coattails and benefited from Appetite’s popularity.

James

James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Hey Axl, look what happens when you get a band in the studio and just bash out a song as live, instead of overthinking it.

I love the story of this album. It'll probably wind up being better than the album itself.

RS magazine has a great article on it.

They could've easily compiled an assortment of songs from the past 10-20 years and made an album out of that. Instead, they decided to get together, work mostly from scratch (a few exceptions), and most importantly...set a deadline.

They really did go old school with it.

I don’t think the Illusion albums had anything to do with Appetite’s success. It’s the other way around. The Illusion albums and Lies both rode the coattails and benefited from Appetite’s popularity.

Of course AFD was their main propellant. It still is.

However...they got a bunch of new fans in the 90s... including people here...and these fans buy the rest of the earlier albums.

Both U2 and Metallica had a lot of fans in the 80s... especially U2. The Joshua Tree was huge. Still doesn't change the fact Achtung and the Zoo TV tour brought them a bunch of new fans....who then buy the previous albums.

Go look at reviews for Rattle & Hum. Look at its chart positions and how long that album stayed in the headlines. It doesn't equal 14 million albums sold...a lot of that came later.

I just checked...Rattle & Hum is now considered the 9th best selling album of 1988.

And Justice For All is now considered the 7th best selling album of 1988.

Lies at #14.

Nice retconning thanks to their massive influx of new fans in the 90s.

Since Lies is now #14, I'll post the list of the top 15  albums of 1988...in 1988.

George Michael - Faith
Dirty Dancing Soundtrack
Def Leppard - Hysteria
INXS - Kick
Michael Jackson - Bad
Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Debbie Gibson - Out of the Blue
Richard Marx - Richard Marx
Tiffany - Tiffany
Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation
Terence Trent D'arby - Introducing The Hardline...
Whitney Houston - Whitney
Miami Sound Machine - Let It Loose
John Mellencamp - The Lonesome Jubilee
Rick Astley - Whenever You Need Somebody

Both Lies and Rattle & Hum don't even make the Top 100 so I don't know their exact placement... obviously 101-200 as they had to be on there somewhere since they did have some popular singles/videos.

Even crazier is what is now considered the best selling album of 1988....

Journey - Greatest Hits

They should thank The Sopranos for that.

Another good example of this is Kylie Minogue...nowhere in the top 100 in 88 but thanks to her huge comeback years later, now has the #27 best album of 88.

MC Hammer...who wasn't jack shit in 88...no one knew he existed...now has the #42 album of 88.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

I love the story of this album. It'll probably wind up being better than the album itself.

They could've easily compiled an assortment of songs from the past 10-20 years and made an album out of that. Instead, they decided to get together, work mostly from scratch (a few exceptions), and most importantly...set a deadline.

However...they got a bunch of new fans in the 90s... including people here...and these fans buy the rest of the earlier albums.

Both U2 and Metallica had a lot of fans in the 80s... especially U2. The Joshua Tree was huge. Still doesn't change the fact Achtung and the Zoo TV tour brought them a bunch of new fans....who then buy the previous albums.

Go look at reviews for Rattle & Hum. Look at its chart positions and how long that album stayed in the headlines. It doesn't equal 14 million albums sold...a lot of that came later.

I just checked...Rattle & Hum is now considered the 9th best selling album of 1988.

Lies at #14.

Since Lies is now #14, I'll post the list of the top 15  albums of 1988...in 1988.

George Michael - Faith
Dirty Dancing Soundtrack
Def Leppard - Hysteria
INXS - Kick
Michael Jackson - Bad
Tiffany - Tiffany

Both Lies and Rattle & Hum don't even make the Top 100 so I don't know their exact placement... obviously 101-200 as they had to be on there somewhere since they did have some popular singles/videos.

Journey - Greatest Hits

Another good example of this is Kylie Minogue...nowhere in the top 100 in 88 but thanks to her huge comeback years later, now has the #27 best album of 88.

MC Hammer...who wasn't jack shit in 88...no one knew he existed...now has the #42 album of 88.

To be fair on the 1988 numbers with GN’R Lies, the main single released in April 1989. I would imagine a big chunk of sales happened in 1989 instead of 1988 because of this factor. When the album released in late November of 1988, Appetite was still a huge deal.

Appetite basically had 13 months where it didn’t sell a ton (July 1987 to August 1988). For all intents and purposes, Appetite itself is pretty much a 1988 album. In 1987 it was still an underground band & album. In August 1988 it blew up with Sweet Child. And then Paradise City & Jungle were a big deal. Patience eventually went to #4 on the singles chart in 1989 and this would have driven some big sales for Lies.

Looking back, it’s amazing to me that they bothered releasing Lies in 1988. They probably could have waited until July 1989 or later, given the hype around Sweet Child, Paradise City, Jungle, and the rest of Appetite in 1988 and early 1989.

Sky Dog wrote:

They sold a shit ton more in 88 or 89 or 90 more than any artist…only thing even would have been U2

James

James wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
James wrote:
elevendayempire wrote:

Lies at #14.

George Michael - Faith
Dirty Dancing Soundtrack
Def Leppard - Hysteria
INXS - Kick
Michael Jackson - Bad
Tiffany - Tiffany

Journey - Greatest Hits

To be fair on the 1988 numbers with GN’R Lies, the main single released in April 1989. I would imagine a big chunk of sales happened in 1989 instead of 1988 because of this factor. When the album released in late November of 1988, Appetite was still a huge deal.

Appetite basically had 13 months where it didn’t sell a ton (July 1987 to August 1988). For all intents and purposes, Appetite itself is pretty much a 1988 album. In 1987 it was still an underground band & album. In August 1988 it blew up with Sweet Child. And then Paradise City & Jungle were a big deal. Patience eventually went to #4 on the singles chart in 1989 and this would have driven some big sales for Lies. .

I should've looked at the 89 charts when writing that post when I noticed some other albums missing from that year's chart when they should've been on there.

Bobby Brown - Don't Be Cruel
New Kids On the Block - Hanging Tough
Paula Abdul - Forever Your Girl
Bon Jovi - New Jersey
Fine Young Cannibals - The Raw and the Cooked
Guns N Roses -  GNR Lies
The Traveling Wilburys - Volume 1
Def Leppard - Hysteria
Milli Vanilli - Girl You Know It's True
Skid Row - Skid Row
Madonna - Like A Prayer
Living Colour - Vivid
Bette Midler - Beaches Soundtrack
Winger - Winger
Debbie Gibson - Electric Youth
Anita Baker - Giving You The Best That I Got
Edie Brickell - Shooting Rubberbands At the Stars
Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever
Poison - Open Up And Say...Ahh

A few others...

#29 Rattle & Hum
#42 Roy Orbison - Mystery Girl (I guess most people bought the single)
#54 Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years (Funny how you can have one of the biggest songs of the year yet miss the top 50 albums)
#68 INXS - Kick ( This was in the big 3 of massive records for kids/teens 87-88...the other two were AFD and Hysteria. Kick obviously dropped out of the stratosphere first)

They sold a shit ton more in 88 or 89 or 90 more than any artist…only thing even would have been U2

Def Leppard and INXS were right there with them for a moment. KICK was like the pop AFD in 88...you couldn't escape either record.

Yeah The Joshua Tree was pretty big in 87. MTV had the With Or Without You and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For videos in constant rotation.

Yep...

#6 album in 87.

Speaking of 87...I never understood the obsession with Paul Simons Graceland (#2).

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

What blows me away about some of those 88 and 89 charts is that a lot of those albums were released the year before (or later).  No way in this current era of disposable music this happens.

Yeah, INXS was everywhere with Mediate, Need you tonight and Never tear us apart.  On the very poppy side, New Kids on the Block seemed like they were everywhere in 1989.  Not as big as Guns but kind hit a pop culture high in 89-90, until people got sick of them.

Miguelox26
 Rep: 5 

Miguelox26 wrote:

That list is the perfect example of why hard rock and metal have to continue being counterculture! Is there where we wanted the guns? Winger, New Kid and so on! Massive success to become puppets of the industry, tamed to sneak into those types of lists with the most pathetic in the industry!....they should have done a Milli Vanilli, New Did and Guns tour!...great success!....go for number 1! Death to everything that is not metal! Steel Panther said!

Board footer