You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Miguelox26
 Rep: 5 

Re: The General confirmed next

Miguelox26 wrote:

Speaking of cd's from 88.89; You can't miss two masterpieces like Young Man's Blues by Rock City Angel and Nothing Shocking by Jane's Addiction! They didn't have that commercial success, but I included them for quality!....by the way...what a level to compare Steel Wheels with appetite or lies!..... but I guess it will be a matter of taste! ...or penis measurements!

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

What blows me away about some of those 88 and 89 charts is that a lot of those albums were released the year before (or later).  No way in this current era of disposable music this happens.

A great example of this is NIN - Pretty Hate Machine. Released in 89... didn't catch on until summer/fall 91.

Gin Blossoms album came out in 92...didn't become a smash hit until 93/94.

And yeah...they don't allow this anymore. If your record dies...it dies.

INXS was everywhere with Mediate, Need you tonight and Never tear us apart.

And Devil Inside & New Sensation.

At least half the time a car drove by, you heard either GNR or INXS. Same when you went to the mall.

Their hits album is amazing.

I really love this song...their first hit...

On the very poppy side, New Kids on the Block seemed like they were everywhere in 1989.  Not as big as Guns but kind hit a pop culture high in 89-90, until people got sick of them.

Any time I hear of New Kids On the Block, it reminds me of freshman year of high school. This girl who really liked me wore their shirts. She would make comments about my shirts(mostly GNR)...as kids did back in those days. I was a hell of a lot more relentless with my NKOTB insults. It didn't take very long for her to stop liking me. I didn't care at the time...she wasn't the only girl at school. When I got older, I realized how stupid it all was. Who cares if she's wearing those shirts. It wasn't any different than me or anyone else wearing our favorite band shirts.

Like all other girls, she quickly grew out of her New Kids phase which made it even more pointless.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

At least half the time a car drove by, you heard either GNR or INXS. Same when you went to the mall.

I totally forgot about those two.

James wrote:

Any time I hear of New Kids On the Block, it reminds me of freshman year of high school. This girl who really liked me wore their shirts. She would make comments about my shirts(mostly GNR)...as kids did back in those days. I was a hell of a lot more relentless with my NKOTB insults. It didn't take very long for her to stop liking me. I didn't care at the time...she wasn't the only girl at school. When I got older, I realized how stupid it all was. Who cares if she's wearing those shirts. It wasn't any different than me or anyone else wearing our favorite band shirts.

Like all other girls, she quickly grew out of her New Kids phase which made it even more pointless.

It's funny I think about some girl too when I kind of think about New Kids.  I think I was 10 or 11 when they got big.  There was this one girl that transferred in.  She was born or was from Burma/Mynamar.  This was about the only time I knew anyone from that country. 

As years go by, you learn that you did some crappy things to people when you're growing up, you never realize those things at the time.  I'm glad that wearing band/artist tees are still somewhat prevalent though.

James

James wrote:
slashsfro wrote:
James wrote:

James wrote:

It's funny I think about some girl too when I kind of think about New Kids.  I think I was 10 or 11 when they got big.  There was this one girl that transferred in.  She was born or was from Burma/Mynamar.  This was about the only time I knew anyone from that country..

Yeah...from 88-90 there was a certain type of girl in the 11-13 range that were head over heels in love with those guys. It was just a phase. A year later, they're in love with George Michael, Jon Bon Jovi, Michael Hutchence, Sebastian Bach, or Axl Rose.

As years go by, you learn that you did some crappy things to people when you're growing up, you never realize those things at the time.

Definitely.

One that really sticks out for me...same year...this kid Danny who was hanging around our clique. He used to really get on my nerves. He would say really wacky shit, insults, and just general annoyance. One day he was throwing bottle caps at me during lunch. I told him to stop...he didn't...and I threw him against the lockers. We stopped talking to him after this.

Looking back...I realize he was kinda new, just trying to fit in somehow with our group, but just went about it in the wrong way.

One more trip down memory lane with this post....

In shop class there was this shy Mexican girl (Hi Adriana if you ever read this!) who sat at the same table as me for that semester. She obviously liked me as I could see her look at me out of the corner of my eye but would look away or down when I'd look over at her. She never talked to me. I have no idea what ever happened to her as those shy silent types eventually just blend into the background in your life/school.

If I could go back....I'd talk to her. There was no reason not to really. Just because I had a lot of friends and knew a bunch of stoner girls didn't mean you can't have one more friend...even if only during that class. Might could've been a girlfriend.. although I doubt it. Way too different..shy Mexicans don't really gel with white stoners...who is only a year away from taking meth. 18

I really miss those times. I wish I had waited longer to use drugs...or never use them at all. Drugs warp everything...and I was too young for that to happen.

They're both "Bangers" as the kids would say today....

Great shit. Im pretty sure that's a different mix than the version I have...it also has that intro.

Here they are at the 1988 MTV VMAs...

I hated when bands would do this...singer is live but the band is miming. Whitesnake probably the most famous for doing this at the event.

They should've just went full throttle...these guys did about 30 minutes earlier...

Shacklermyrye
 Rep: 14 

Perhaps 7" has been restocked. That implies to me that the first run has been pressed so they can take these orders for the second.

27 days untill the first batch is shipped. Kind of intrigued to see if they can pull off a song release without a leak. It's the final stretch

James

James wrote:
Shacklermyrye wrote:

Perhaps 7" has been restocked. That implies to me that the first run has been pressed so they can take these orders for the second.

27 days untill the first batch is shipped. Kind of intrigued to see if they can pull off a song release without a leak. It's the final stretch

That's good news. It's a sign it actually sold some copies.. although no way of knowing how many were initially pressed.

It'll leak. If not soon...about a week before when a handful of people get it shipped early.

harmon420
 Rep: 20 

harmon420 wrote:

Unsolicited confession.... I've now surpassed 200 listens to the shitty cellphone clip. I mean It's probably closer to 300 but, in this community, does that even register on the geiger counter of fanaticism? I mark out to that melodic lead by Bucket (which to my ear is the only true discernible music amongst the chatter).

Based on the final product of the other officially released,  "reaheated" Chinese leftovers, I'm sure I will enjoy the final product regardless of the excessive edits. I just hope no matter who is actually playing on the track, does what I heard on that clip, justice.

Releasing presumably (in the eyes of the hardcores) the best song of the post 93 line up on a b-side, seems to be par for course with the chinese legacy of this band.

carlossacanell
 Rep: 1 

I am hardcore and my thoughts about allí the CD material is that the best version of the band (just from a level of musiciams point of view) are Buckethead, Brain, Robin Finck... just my opinion

Sky Dog wrote:

Tommy Stinson? He has a better rock and roll resume than everyone you named!

Sky Dog wrote:
harmon420 wrote:

Unsolicited confession.... I've now surpassed 200 listens to the shitty cellphone clip. I mean It's probably closer to 300 but, in this community, does that even register on the geiger counter of fanaticism? I mark out to that melodic lead by Bucket (which to my ear is the only true discernible music amongst the chatter).

Based on the final product of the other officially released,  "reaheated" Chinese leftovers, I'm sure I will enjoy the final product regardless of the excessive edits. I just hope no matter who is actually playing on the track, does what I heard on that clip, justice.

Releasing presumably (in the eyes of the hardcores) the best song of the post 93 line up on a b-side, seems to be par for course with the chinese legacy of this band.

So many things wrong here….best songs post 1991 are TWAT and Madagascar.

The other thing is we are still in the Chinese Democracy era! It’s just another different set of musicians. The only songs they are releasing are songs from the Chinese Sessions. Slash is no different than Bumblefoot when it comes to new music! It’s a sad joke…..

Board footer