You are not logged in. Please register or login.

ClaudeF
 Rep: 16 

Re: The next GNR album: Current known state of songs

ClaudeF wrote:

It might be helpful to organize and discuss the tracks.

Songs completed with Duff and Slash:

"Absurd" (Originally "Silkworms" on Rough Mixes 1 storage locker CD)
"Hard Skool" (Originally "Hardschool" on Rough Mixes 3 storage locker CD)
"Perhaps" (Originally on Rough Mixes 1 storage locker CD)
"The General"

Unreleased storage locker leaks with Axl vocals:

"Atlas Shrugged" (On Rough Mixes 1 storage locker CD)
"Eye on You" (On Rough Mixes 2 storage locker CD but partially sampled for "Absurd")
"State of Grace" (On Rough Mixes 3 storage locker CD)
"Nothing" (On Rough Mixes 4 storage locker CD)

Songs not yet announced for release which may have vocals that we have not yet heard:

Axl's 2008 post as Dexter confirmed several unreleased song titles. (Here is his comment, in full: http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=5578). These included several storage locker tracks listed above as well as "The General" but for clarity, here is the list:
"Ides Of March"
"Oklahoma"
"Atlas Shrugged"
"Oh My God"
"Silkworms"
"Down By The Ocean (Izzy)" <--Axl notably added "Izzy" in his response
"Leave Me Alone"
"Seven"
"The General"
"Thyme"
"Quick Song"
"Zodiac"

Apparently a cellphone photo of a stapled fax machine document which may have been fake circulated online in 2019. This is said to have included 25 song titles, most from ChiDem or included in the storage locker leaks, with these notable additions:
"Dragon"
"All I Ever Wanted"
"Seven"

A screenshot of a 2008 email which may have been fake circulated online in 2019. Can someone verify this at all? Suposedly this included the titles of several released songs as well as storage locker instrumental tracks, but the implication here is that all of these songs have vocals. Here is the reported list, in full, since it has letter codes that imply something that may prove to be important later:
Cuban Skies V
The General Ch V
Atlas L
Soul M V
Silk H
Thyme L
Pro2 V
Chi2 D V?
Better2
TIL2 V
Goin Down
Tonto V Br
Monstrocity V lyr
Catcher ?
Nothin ?
JChan ?
?? L editing V
Perhaps ?
OMG2 ?
4 Heavens. ? Sing
Light My Fire

ClaudeF

ClaudeF wrote:

Right now, we have heard or are about to hear nine songs with vocals not yet on an album: The four songs chosen for release on singles, plus four storage locker vocal tracks and "Oh My God." This gets us to:

"Hard Skool" -- 3:41 (storage locker leak was 4:12)
"Absurd" -- 3:23 (storage locker leak was also 3:23)
"Perhaps" -- 3:44 (storage locker leak was 4:02 with a longer outro)
"The General" -- duration unknown
"Atlas Shrugged" -- 4:16 on storage locker leak
"Eye on You" -- 3:47 on storage locker leak
"State of Grace" -- 4:10 on storage locker leak
"Nothing" -- 3:56 on storage locker leak
"Oh My God" -- 3:40

Right now we know of about 31 minutes of music that has vocals, plus "The General." If "epic" suggests one of Axl's intricate arrangements, it may run 5 minutes or more. To be conservative, let's say for now it is 5 minutes long, so we will have 9 songs running approximately 36 minutes.

It seems 10 or 12 songs is the bare minimum of tracks for an album these days, so to hit that threshold the band would need as little as one, two, or three more songs. Considering how long it has been between albums, they probably need to find a sweet spot between quality and quantity: Only release good stuff, but release enough good stuff that fans are satisfied, radio stations (including streaming) have a lot of options, and the band adds some choice cuts to its live repertoire.

They also deserve at least one more great record in their discography which will reset the clock since 2008 and the release of ChiDem.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Wait a minute...I just realized something.

Axl confirmed both Seven and Ides of March?!?   18

That means they're not the same song.

I don't even remember Dragon. Weird.

I like to go by the old Tommy statement....

22 songs.

That's what's left after CD release...of course some of those may not be 100% finished...but he excluded all the sketches and stuff from that number.

Going Down
Absurd
Hard School
Perhaps
The General

That makes the number of the day...

00100450280_OuRq8Zz.jpg

I don't believe any of the 3-4 album crap from people like Baz. He was more than likely getting to hear alternate versions too.

There's enough for one final album...maybe toss in a couple B sides.

How'd they turn Nothing into a real song?!?

MSL...what's the story on that track list above. You probably told me back in the day but I don't remember.

Edit

While I do believe he initially had plans for a trilogy, I think he gave up on the project before he ever got around to finishing it.

ClaudeF

ClaudeF wrote:

I included "Nothing" in the list of storage locker tracks with vocals, but have not read of it being finished beyond what we've heard.

They really could use it as-is, as a sort of weird interlude or unlisted track. Clear listeners' heads for the next big song.

James

James wrote:
ClaudeF wrote:

I included "Nothing" in the list of storage locker tracks with vocals, but have not read of it being finished beyond what we've heard.

They really could use it as-is, as a sort of weird interlude or unlisted track. Clear listeners' heads for the next big song.

It's on that really wacky list of CD II songs from that email.

If that's real...it's gotta be either a fleshed out song or some bizarre remix of a CD track.

*Paging MSL*

James

James wrote:

That's a good observation on the interludes.

Tommy mentioned interludes once in 2005.

It was never mentioned again.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Nothing is the reggae sounding song, right?

James

James wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

Nothing is the reggae sounding song, right?

Bob Marley and Peter Tosh hang their heads in shame....

tongue

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Inside Out was a cool instrumental. Tonto and Cuban Skies are Bucket songs so who knows what happened with them.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Also, Zodiac doesn’t really say “Slash” but I thought the same about Silkworms

Board footer