You are not logged in. Please register or login.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

Re: Basic question about Axl's err GNR

gnfnraxl wrote:

All right I have a question that to me was never clear since Slash left and Axl never cleared the air on this.  Who is the official lead guitarist?  Even when Buckethead was there it seemed that Finck did a lot of the lead.  So is it Finck, Bumbleffot or Richard Fortus?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Its always been Finck, but when ass needed to be kicked on an unreal scale, Buckethead was/is the only guy capable of doing it.

I don't think there was ever much doubt that Finck was the "real" replacement for Slash. BH's role was a bit different. Let Finck and the other guys build a song from the ground up, then when it needs to be taken up a notch, enter BH.

Fortus is only there because Huge didn't want to tour, so he most definitely does not fit the role.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

they all do lead parts...i was sure to take note when i saw them in toronto... but the majority of leads are shared by finck and thal

but James is right...the man i think we are supposed to accept as the main Guitarist is Robin

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Robin. He was the one Axl first went to for the position and is the one who plays solos in the bluesy sense that Slash did. Although Robin's blues have a darker, more industrial noise-ish type of feel than Slash's did, they still fill the same role.

The 3rd guitarist is just there for overdrive, as James said. Buckethead was a big part of new GN'R not being that of old with his very unique playing, Ron does some of that too (at least shredding wise) and maybe he will also take on a bigger role in more creative rhythm parts.

Fortus jumps around on stage.

Sky Dog wrote:

I still think one of the reasons Bucket left was because he had to share too many leads with players that simply can't play as good as him.:headbang: Bucket was the only guy who could fill Slash's shoes properly. Bucket on lead and Finck on rhythm would have been perfect.:wtf:

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Robin kicks ass

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Jimmy Zig Zag Bobiadis wrote:

Robin kicks ass

I've always wanted Finck to talk about his sessions with Buckethead because the two were magical together. They feed off of each other on the leaks. BH really brought out the best in Finck. I think having to play with someone as amazing as BH didn't intimidate him like it could have, instead he brought his "A game" to the table.

I would not be surprised if Finck's drive and/or playing regressed a bit in the post BH era simply because he didn't have that extra spark to kick things up a notch.

This is one of the reasons I would rather hear the 01/02 album in its entirety instead of an 06/07 album. No way in hell did it get any better than what they were doing back then.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Robin Finck - lead guitarist
Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal - second lead guitarist
Richard Fortus - rhythm guitarist

Buckethead - lone gunman

Sky Dog wrote:

for the record, I love Robin...he's got the mojo...The two Hammerstein shows I went to proved that. He is defiintely a guy you need to see live. Sloppy? yes.....Cool...YES.

Board footer