You are not logged in. Please register or login.

carlossacanell
 Rep: 1 

Re: The General and Monsters

furly06 wrote:
carlossacanell wrote:

Mike, as i said at the end of the day i love so much this band that i enjoy everything. And i'm also with you that they are mature and that brings an evolution to their music.
But... The quality, the creativity, the art of surprised fans with the music.
I feel this band could make it better. For me TG is not a bad song but let me cold when i listen It. Is this the continuation of the trilogy? Can It be compared to the songs of the trilogy in terms of quality, impact, surprise... Not for me.
Bach said this song was his favourite song of all the material he heard.... How will be the unheard songs... I hope he is wrong!
I remember when people talked about BIG Guns... I think the last Big guns i've heard are several songs of CD. But not HS, Absurd, TG or Perhaps.
And don't misunderstand me, i enjoy these songs but if i rate them are far away from Big guns

I agree with you, these last songs are not at all up to the past albums if compared to them, except Perhaps that there could be in one of the two UYI. They certainly had potential to be better than they are now. Absurd and TG with a better vocal mix, HS with less banal lyrics, etc. I hope they put more effort into the next new pieces like Monsters

That's the point for me.
Anyway i don't want to be negative. I like all the last songs. It's just is GNR!! I expect a bit more of them. But i'm happy to finally get the songs.
LOVE <3

UYI4

UYI4 wrote:

Man, absurd would be so much better with the the “bitch like you chorus” added.  You can talk about pussy full of maggots.  Should have left “what can I do, with a bitch like you”

Would be awesome to hear a clean recording with that old chorus and the old version of The G.  I doubt we ever will though.

Sky Dog wrote:
UYI4 wrote:

Man, absurd would be so much better with the the “bitch like you chorus” added.  You can talk about pussy full of maggots.  Should have left “what can I do, with a bitch like you”

Would be awesome to hear a clean recording with that old chorus and the old version of The G.  I doubt we ever will though.

I’m with you! The bitch like you is a nice touch….the version in Vegas is killer when you go back and watch again.

carlossacanell

Couso wrote:

This just in… my own personal ratings for the new songs

Perhaps - fucking great
Hard skool - fucking great
The general - good but not my fave
Monsters - one of the best things they have ever done so help me Jesus it’s awesome so it is!
Absurd- sucks the sweat off of a dead man’s balls

Me:
Perhaps: good one but worse than Catcher, Streets of Dreams... And the demo solo and synths are better than the final song. It would fit perfectly in UYI II or Chinese Democracy
Hard Skool: it's a good song but i prefer Better, Chinese Democracy or Shacklers. As happens with perhaps, the demo has more potential in my opinion
Absurd: experimental crazy song, enjoyable but once again i prefer the demo. I think Rhiad or oh my God are quite better
The General: once again a good song that i enjoy but in Chinese Democracy are better songs i've already mentioned
Monsters: my fave of all above. It has great potential.

carlossacanell

UYI4 wrote:

Yeeeeeaaaahhhhh
I always thought the same. Agree 100%

carlossacanell

Probably Axl cut that chorus due to the woke ideology and the troubles the chorus could bring home Lol

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:
carlossacanell wrote:

Probably Axl cut that chorus due to the woke ideology and the troubles the chorus could bring home Lol

Definitely.

furly06
 Rep: 0 

furly06 wrote:
carlossacanell wrote:
Couso wrote:

This just in… my own personal ratings for the new songs

Perhaps - fucking great
Hard skool - fucking great
The general - good but not my fave
Monsters - one of the best things they have ever done so help me Jesus it’s awesome so it is!
Absurd- sucks the sweat off of a dead man’s balls

Me:
Perhaps: good one but worse than Catcher, Streets of Dreams... And the demo solo and synths are better than the final song. It would fit perfectly in UYI II or Chinese Democracy
Hard Skool: it's a good song but i prefer Better, Chinese Democracy or Shacklers. As happens with perhaps, the demo has more potential in my opinion
Absurd: experimental crazy song, enjoyable but once again i prefer the demo. I think Rhiad or oh my God are quite better
The General: once again a good song that i enjoy but in Chinese Democracy are better songs i've already mentioned
Monsters: my fave of all above. It has great potential.

Me:
- Perhaps: It's good and is the one with TG and Monsters with more potential. I listened to the demos and I think the original solo is actually better, as I said before it could fit in one of the two UYI, although for me This I Love and I.R.S. are better.
- Hard Skool: This is also good, but it has a text too banal, the message could be transmitted better, certainly better than Absurd. Although other songs of the CD era, such as Chinese Democarcy, Better and Prostitute, are better.
- Absurd: This is unusual and quite senseless, but it is precisely this chaos that does not make it completely horrible, because as a sound it is really good. The problem is the mix of the voice, I really don’t like the timbre, maybe with a more natural voice would be better, or with a bigger voice like modern heavy metal.
- The General: TG has a lot of potential, but it hasn’t been well spent. As said in the days before a better mix of the voice and some improvement towards the final part would have helped a lot. Then for the sound and the mystery is a track that I really like.
- Monsters: It’s the best with Perhaps. This could be inside an UYI, too. Absolutely catchy for sound and voice I like, although there may still be improvements. Although this piece has CD origins, the band here has put a lot of effort and it doesn’t even seem a piece of that period, but it has something new that reminds at the same time USY.

furly06
 Rep: 0 

furly06 wrote:
carlossacanell wrote:

wouldn't surprise me

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I just checked. The song has a grand total of 33k views on YouTube.

Faldor is right...the once in a blue moon drip feed instantly destroys any momentum they could potentially get even under the best circumstances. They fuck up every release in some capacity to the point the hardcore base is already sick of it when it finally gets released. It's one of the reasons why their view count is always so low. They can't even get hardcore fans to help prop up the stats like what happens with other major acts. It's already old news even though it's new news.

The General is an album deep cut for an album that doesn't exist. How is it supposed to make any waves?

Sky Dog wrote:

We already have Monsters in final form so I’m not in a hurry to get that…..need Atlas

Already have Atlas in near final form and probably superior rough mix so I'm not in a hurry to get that... need Oklahoma.  tongue

Shacklermyrye wrote:

i love the song tbh but look how crap the artwork is on my copy. Is this just a UK thing or is it the same for anyone else here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilkBVWltB-4

[/embed]

Wow. That's on a new level. Every single person who bought that should ask for a refund just on principle. Something of that quality should not have made it out of the factory.

Does TB just hire second and third cousins to whip up this shit?

People jock AFD so much.  Sure it’s great.  I’m more of an illusions guy.  I love the grandiose Queen on steroids.  To me that’s when GNR found a defined sound as a band was UYI.  To me people need to stop jerking AFD and be glad something is even happening

I haven't jerked off to AFD since around 95-96. Other than that 2-3 week period when the 91 Ritz vid was released, haven't jerked off to UYI since around 98.

Out of my all time favorite albums, they are the only ones I no longer listen to. Massive burn out in my youth.

99.9% of GNR I have listened to in the 21st century is CD, the various leaks, bootlegs, and the reunion drip feed.

This myth that you live in the past if you don't 100% approve of everything the GNR camp does was started by the GNR camp in the early 2000s. It was all projection. They were the ones who had to live in the past playing 10 AFD tracks a night while dangling a Chinese carrot to keep us hanging around for the next AFD disguised as Chinese Democracy tour.

When we were told stories of mind blowing, earth shattering big guns, my mind pictured Pink Floyd level epics. One of the descriptions at the time was something like Physical Graffiti meets The Wall mixed by Trent Reznor.

None of these songs are that. None. Zip. Zilch. Nada. I would actually rank mid tier Floyd songs ahead of this.

The fact these songs do not live up to the hype and are basically spit shined, unfinished songs  doesn't mean I want to listen to AFD.

Yes it's better than nothing. Great description of the drip feed.

I was listening yesterday to the General in Spotify and i was almost slept and when TG finished next song was Don't Cry ... I realized then the BIG difference in terms of quality.

Yeah it's bad. You got a UYI comparison.

After giving The General the final few spins for awhile last night,  listened to Dog and Butterfly. The contrast in quality is jarring. The General sounds terrible loud....and then this...

Smooth as a prom queen's thighs.

one of the biggest negatives is the "don't know what to tell you now" part - cringe-worthy.

After more listens I'm starting to think this section was cannibalized from another song. It doesn't flow with anything in the track and feels out of place.

Board footer