You are not logged in. Please register or login.

harmon420
 Rep: 20 

Re: Bobby Knight dead at 83

harmon420 wrote:

RIP to a true legend. Definitely on the Mount Rushmore of NCAA basketball.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske … ht-dies-83

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah just saw that. RIP

Just about all the iconic coaches are gone now.

Never understood why he didn't coach in the NBA after his firing in Indiana.

Same with Mike Krzyzewski.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Sigh.  Another guy from my childhood falls by the wayside.

For the NBA question; it’s totally different than college.  There is a shit ton more travel and you are dealing with pros as opposed to teaching kids fresh out of HS.

Knight was way too divisive after he allegedly choked the kid or whatever he did to get from Indiana.  No one was touching him for a while. He was sort of radioactive

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
slashsfro wrote:

Sigh.  Another guy from my childhood falls by the wayside.

For the NBA question; it’s totally different than college.  There is a shit ton more travel and you are dealing with pros as opposed to teaching kids fresh out of HS.

Knight was way too divisive after he allegedly choked the kid or whatever he did to get from Indiana.  No one was touching him for a while. He was sort of radioactive

Yeah, no way millionaire NBA players with huge egos were going to put up with Knight’s coaching style. Coaches like him are (pardon the pun) a dying breed. Most players today need to be coddled and it starts from a young age. The everybody gets a trophy era. That’s why young coaches are so successful these day. Someone the players can closely relate to.

Sky Dog wrote:

Didn’t see this thread….he was back in my day. The least PC dude ever….incredible coach

Sky Dog wrote:

Also….the last NCAA coach to go undefeated. 1976 Indiana Hoosiers.

Board footer