You are not logged in. Please register or login.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

Re: VR Concert Review from The Winnipeg Sun.

BLS-Pride wrote:

scott.jpg

If happiness really is a warm gun -- as The Beatles once famously opined -- then surely a similarly strong case can be made for Velvet Revolver.

The members of the hard-rock supergroup certainly left their fans in a state of near bliss last night (those loyal few who bothered to show up, anyway), via a high-energy show that found all five members cocked and loaded.

The L.A. quintet -- comprised of former Guns N' Roses heavyweights Slash, Duff McKagan and Matt Sorum, plus Stone Temple Pilots frontman Scott Weiland and Wasted Youth guitarist Dave Kushner -- took to the stage almost an hour past their scheduled start-time last night, suggesting Slash and the other ex-Gunners could maybe learn a thing or two from Axl Rose, who actually managed to be on time for his own show last winter, despite a notorious reputation for being late.

But we're inclined to forgive the transgression, since when they finally did get things underway, they quickly proved they planned to make the most of all those combined years of shared experience.

Kicking off with Let It Roll and She Mine, the same one-two punch that opens their new album Libertad, the Revolver crew set a polished sleaze-rock template for the rest of the evening, as Slash and McKagan vied for attention with Weiland, who commandeered his spot at centre stage dressed in a motorcycle hat and dangerously low-slung jeans.

The band's material hews a little closer to current rock-radio formats than either STP's retro alt-sound or GNR's anthemic arena-stylings, and even if that means the songs aren't nearly as memorable, you still have to give them credit for looking forward, not back.

From VR's debut disc Contraband, the track Sucker Train Blues found Weiland wielding an air siren, Do It for the Kids and Superhuman struck a perfect balance between glam and metal, and Big Machine saw Slash busting out a quick solo from atop a riser at stage right.

Of course, the guys aren't above dipping into their old bands' back catalogues, so it wasn't too surprising to hear the opening strains of STP's Vasoline or Interstate Love Song (performed, like the Revolver tune The Last Fight, with all five members seated in a row), or later, the lighter-friendly GNR ballad Patience.

And while Weiland is still no match for Rose, his own by-now-trademark brand of lizard-king theatrics -- put to especially good use on She Builds Quick Machines and Get Out the Door -- sync just as well with the old-school swagger of his new compatriots.

Shoot-shoot, bang-bang, indeed.

Earlier, opening act Sparta quickly wore out their welcome with an overly long set of moody, atmospheric alt-metal. The band, fronted by Texan Jim Ward (ex- of the far superior prog-punk hybrid At the Drive-In) sounds interesting enough on CD, but live, their reliance on disjointed guitar breaks and Ward's Bono-esque wailing produces the unfortunate effect of making every song sound exactly the same.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I wish I had seen them in Fresno last month. I told myself a couple years ago I would go see them if they came to my area since I missed them on the CB tour.

I was too concerned with having enough money for my trip to Frisco last month to see M.I.A. and her two upcoming shows next month to even consider budgeting for VR.

If they come back here again, I'm gonna force myself to buy tickets the moment they go on sale.

Sky Dog wrote:

That was an absolutely dead on review of the Atlanta show I went to....I got some free tickets and couldn't pass up AIC and Slash (yes, the only reason I went). Both were awesome. Slash is a much better player sober...plus, I haven't seen him live since 1993!

James, you would have lost any bet about VR ticket sales vs Gnr....it was friends and family only in Atlanta...it didn't matter though because they closed off the entire lawn and moved everyone under the canopy and in to seats. It gave the show a much more intimate feel. The show was definitely better than I expected.

no way Velvet averages 8600 on this tour...no way in hell. I am sure figures will come out at the end of the year. Personally, I don't give a shit, but I do wish they would have played the show at the Tabernacle (about 3000 people and MUCH better sound).

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Well, interest in VR has dropped astronomically this year. I was basing my opinion regarding the tour on what happened on their last tour. It was a big deal when they played this area on the CB tour. I didn't hear anything about them around here this time.

julia (babydolls)
 Rep: 6 

I still wish they'd played Interstate love song at one of the several VR gigs I've now been to!  I love that song.  Venue wise - they seem to play perfect-sized venues here in London - they've only ever played at Hammersmith Apollo and Brixton Academy.  Both of these are 4,000 approx and always packed and sweaty!

Though Libertad has not set me on fire - their performance at Download festival this year certainly did.  No mistake - they rocked the fk out. I would recommend anyone who has an inkling to see them, to go when they play in your area.  They drew an enormous crowd at Download, most of whom left swiftly at the end of their set so as to avoid the "headliner" - My Chemical Toilet. uh, romance.

Seven
 Rep: 9 

Seven wrote:
madagas wrote:

That was an absolutely dead on review of the Atlanta show I went to....I got some free tickets and couldn't pass up AIC and Slash (yes, the only reason I went). Both were awesome. Slash is a much better player sober...plus, I haven't seen him live since 1993!

James, you would have lost any bet about VR ticket sales vs Gnr....it was friends and family only in Atlanta...it didn't matter though because they closed off the entire lawn and moved everyone under the canopy and in to seats. It gave the show a much more intimate feel. The show was definitely better than I expected.

no way Velvet averages 8600 on this tour...no way in hell. I am sure figures will come out at the end of the year. Personally, I don't give a shit, but I do wish they would have played the show at the Tabernacle (about 3000 people and MUCH better sound).

Hey Gas,

Think you make a valid point with choices of venue the managment is choosing. Smaller more intimate venues is the way to go.. Also cool they moved everyone in closer!  When I saw them during CB tour their sound was muddy as hell if you were not under the canopy, much better suited to indoor arenas...

Board footer