You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Re: Should Chinese Democracy be released for free??

Rex wrote:

Waiting for a reunion might explain why it's taking so long.

They can release the record, but it's not going to sell millions unless there is a reunion tour going on to support it...which wouldn't make sense, but in GN'R-land, what does?

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Well, let's face it, if you want it for free, you will get it for free. Why not offer it free for a week or so, then drop it in stores. People who want the high quality free stuff can download it. If you want the whole package in stores, throw in a DVD or bonus disc. Everyone's happy.

As for a reunion, why tie it to CD and why use it as a way for Uni to recoup money? Axl isn't driven by the almighty dollar or we would have had CD by now. Besides why in the fuck would you want to see them if they are in it for the money. I want their heart in it. I don't want Slash to pretend to like Axl again just so he could cash a big check that he couldn't earn as a solo artist or with VR.

There's nothing worse than a half-assed effort masquerading as the real thing. The only way this ends is if Axl sees CD through to the end the way he wants it. In the meantime, we get what leaks, which will eventually be the whole damn thing.

Don't settle or wish for a cash-grab tour. We've been through that already.

If they are gonna go that route though, you gotta wait till Steven is clean or take Frank or Brain. That other asshole doesn't need to make any more money off the GNR name.

i've never agreed more to anyone else's post ever. pure perfection.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

Time taken to make C.D = 14 years.  Cost to make C.D = $13 million. Cost of 1 CD-R to burn 10 songs = 10pence.
fuckin priceless

dave-gnfnr2k
 Rep: 11 

dave-gnfnr2k wrote:

I agree  How huge would that be? It could be a way for Axl to thank all the Gnr fans for their patience.  It would also get huge press for album giving away this long awaited album for free.   He has 4 albums of songs so why not package all the leaked songs as Chinese Democracy (even add in a studio version as silkworms) and give a free download from guns n roses.com. 

He then could a few months later release the follow up album of all new unheard songs.  I think this could be a huge marketing campaign and would go over great.  Especially since everyone already pretty much has Chinese Democracy is demo form.  Why make people pay for it just give them the proper versions for free then release an album the normal way.

I think this would be huge promotion for the unheard album and I think it would get huge press because Axl would be releasing this mythical album for free.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I haven't said this for years, so I'll say it again.....

Those 2001-02 songs should have been released as an EP back then to help support that tour.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I haven't said this for years, so I'll say it again.....

Those 2001-02 songs should have been released as an EP back then to help support that tour.

Axl is such a fucking idiot, the only thing good about now is that his live voice is better now.

As cool as it is to call Axl a "fucking idiot", at least half of those 2001-2002 songs were set to go on "Chinese Democracy", and, after waiting so many years to hear Axl's uncompromised vision, the last thing that I needed was 1/4 of the finished album scrapped and given away early just because some of the diehards couldn't handle the wait. Heh.

As for the actual topic, I appreciate outside the box thinking, but, much like the "Just put it in stores unannounced on some random Tuesday!" idea, I think it's better in concept than reality. The Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails experiments have been moderately successful at best, and, if Axl and Universal are going to take a financial hit, it'd be better to do it on one of the later albums. The first album's going to be under an incredible microscope from the beginning. It doesn't need to be put into a (probable) can't-win situation like that. If "The Slip" had been Trent's first album since "The Downward Spiral", I doubt he would have done it either. And this is *Chinese Democracy* for God's sake.

Board footer