You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Greatest Hits (SUPER HIGH MATERIAL CD)

finally got my SHM-CD of greatest hits, but i'm out of town without access to a decent stereo. did anybody else pick this up? if so, is a super high material CD really that much better than a regular CD?

PEOPLE I WANT 2 KNOW THNX

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah, I'd like to know if there's any difference as well. I never even bought the GH when it first came out. If there's something spectacular about this release, I may have to pick it up.

James

James wrote:

Why wasn't this promoted?

super high material CDs only come out in japan. i'm sure it was promoted there.

James

James wrote:
mister saint laurent wrote:

super high material CDs only come out in japan. i'm sure it was promoted there.

Do they have a special label on them, or are all discs there in this format? I bought the Kala Japanese import but of course never opened it as the disc has bonus tracks(I already had them) and it cant be found in stores here.

If there's a huge difference in quality, I should probably go ahead and open it.:haha:

Sky Dog wrote:

considering cd's are the equivalent of 8-tracks now.......I wouldn't worry about collector's items.

they are labeled on the packaging and on the disc itself as being super high material CDs. if you had one, you'd know.

James

James wrote:
madagas wrote:

considering cd's are the equivalent of 8-tracks now.......I wouldn't worry about collector's items.

Are you insinuating my 8 track of Creedence's Chronicle is worthless?:haha:

they are labeled on the packaging and on the disc itself as being super high material CDs. if you had one, you'd know.

Yeah, you're right. Just dug the disc out of my closet and there's no special label.

I found a small description of this format on a Japan cd site...

The high quality SHM-CD (Super High Material CD) format features enhanced audio quality through the use of a special polycarbonate plastic. Using a process developed by JVC and Universal Music Japan discovered through the joint companies' research into LCD display manufacturing, SHM-CDs feature improved transparency on the data side of the disc, allowing for more accurate reading of CD data by the CD player laser head. SHM-CD format CDs are fully compatible with standard CD players.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Yeah I was curious to hear the difference of this one.  I intend to pick it up but just hadn't got around to it yet.

If it's like the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab (MFSL) gold plated discs then it would definitely be a noticeable improvement in the quality to the discerning ear.

I have even found (and it's generally accepted) that the original Japanese CD version of Appetite 32XD 821 (the one with the black obi stip), to be better quality than the other overseas releases.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

Never even heard of this until now.  Maybe i'll pick it up.

Board footer