You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Slashisvr
 Rep: 8 

Re: Velvet Revolver Still Mulling New Frontman

Slashisvr wrote:

August 08, 2008 , 12:00 AM ET
Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Contrary to reports suggesting former Spacehog frontman Royston Langdon is in line to become the new singer of Velvet Revolver, the band is still making up its mind about who will replace Scott Weiland.

Bassist Duff McKagan tells Billboard.com that although Velvet Revolver did play with Langdon and that "he's f*cking awesome, at this point I'd have to say no" on him becoming the new singer.

"We just have to make sure it's the right guy," he says, adding that Weiland's angry departure from the band this spring has brought him closer to group members Slash, Matt Sorum and Dave Kushner. "Karmically, we deserve the right guy. It's a tough thing, man. We make a pretty big noise."

Velvet Revolver isn't so much auditioning vocalists as "just seeing how it feels," McKagan says, adding with a laugh, "We wouldn't know how to do an audition. We wouldn't have somebody come in and go, 'Okay, play 'Slither!' Play 'Fall To Pieces!'"

For now, the band is taking inspiration from its recent personnel drama and channeling it into new material. "We have a bunch of stuff finished. It's great. It's killer," McKagan says. "We started getting really productive when a ton of drama started happening on the road. It was like our safe place to go to. Sometimes that's how you get some feelings out."

One thing McKagan hasn't done is listen to any of the online leaks from his former band Guns N' Roses' long-awaited "Chinese Democracy." "I wouldn't even know where to look," he says, chuckling. "Slash said he heard a couple of tunes. I wish [Axl Rose] all the best."

As reported yesterday, McKagan just finished an album with his side band Loaded, and will play a handful of U.S. and European shows in August and September.

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/art … 1003836920

Slashisvr
 Rep: 8 

Slashisvr wrote:
Slashisvr wrote:

Velvet Revolver did play with Langdon and that "he's f*cking awesome, at this point I'd have to say no" on him becoming the new singer.

phew, thats all im gonna say on that 5

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

Wait, didn't Slash always say he hasn't heard any of the CD stuff?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I like how these guys take the high road now and brush everything off new GNR and CD wise.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Hopefully it isn't Langdon, but I'd be really surprised to see a good VR album ever. I wonder if these guys still have the creative spark, and I very much doubt they could really do anything new or different. I can't believe Duff and Slash wouldn't have listened to all the CD leaks. I mean, I don't think he's lying, but isn't it weird that no one ever came to him and played him the songs? Oh well.

Is Sorum still in the band? It's been a while since he's run his mouth and tarnish the legacy of every band he's ever been a part of...

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Slashisvr wrote:
Slashisvr wrote:

Velvet Revolver did play with Langdon and that "he's f*cking awesome, at this point I'd have to say no" on him becoming the new singer.

phew, thats all im gonna say on that 5

Agreed.  5

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Hopefully it isn't Langdon, but I'd be really surprised to see a good VR album ever. I wonder if these guys still have the creative spark, and I very much doubt they could really do anything new or different. I can't believe Duff and Slash wouldn't have listened to all the CD leaks. I mean, I don't think he's lying, but isn't it weird that no one ever came to him and played him the songs? Oh well.

Is Sorum still in the band? It's been a while since he's run his mouth and tarnish the legacy of every band he's ever been a part of...

I don't think that after Messages anyone can question if their creative ability is still there. It's my favourite GN'R-related song of the decade, among with T.W.A.T.
I love She Mine, Get Out The Door, Spay and Dime, too, and like a lot other tracks off Libertad.

Communist China

I can still question their creative ability. Messages is good, not great, but being surrounded by utter crap it stands out. I don't think it's that creative. Clearly, neither did they, or it would've been on the album. Even if it was really really good and super-original, one song in the past how many years for these guys? Slash's last great moment was 13 years ago, Duff's, well I don't know Duff well but nothing he's done in VR touches his Guns work. Loaded, judging from those demos that got out, isn't that good either.

I just don't understand how people can like Libertad. But that's me. Me and the record-buying public. Without a lead singer to REALLY push them (and push Sorum and Kushner out the door) I don't want VR.

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

I really think Scott was their weak link. 

I remember him saying how they had CDs with tons of songs and that they all sucked.  Just look at the shit they actually released!

I think they did a lot of shit to make sure he was happy enough to stay with the band until they finally said fuck it.

Communist China

I hope so Rex but I blamed, and still blame, Rod Jackson for Ain't Life Grand. I'm tentative to think Slash's been held back by singers for a decade, and that he can still make new amazing music if given the right surroundings.

Board footer