You are not logged in. Please register or login.

JordanRose
 Rep: 6 

Re: When will it leak? *It Leaked*

JordanRose wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Just reading over this thread it's incredible how mixed the reviews are. I honestly think there's one point in this thread where each song is absolutely praised and then absolutely destroyed by someone else.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great thing and it only continues to whet my appetite for hearing it on Thursday! 9

Great point and something everyone should keep in mind. Remember when Axl said 'You'll like at least a few songs...'? This is an absolute melting pot of sounds across a record with great depths. I love most kinds of music and I love every single song on the record.  I'm not getting hung up on the details. Imagine if we'd never heard a leak except that atrotious quality I.R.S from 5 years ago, we'd all being beating ourselves absolutely stupid right now without worrying about who plays which solo.

I really hope the other 10 or so unheard tracks out there don't leak and that for the next albums we all get to hear them for the first time the week before they're released.

Yes, we were absolutely fucking desperate, but in many ways, hearing all these leaks and demos has completely fucked up our enjoyment of the finished product and we're being ungrateful sods!

Sky Dog wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
madagas wrote:

Scraped is balls to the wall rock....what are you Smoking? Riad? IRS? Shacklers?

Oh my God, Scraped is okay, but ermmm, okay, fuck, Axl just can do a rocker like he used to be able too....  Can Scraped really hang with YCBM or Nighttrain?

dude, nothing Axl does will be good enough for you unless Slash is involved....just admit it. You are an old school Slash nutswinger. Nothing wrong with that but it is pretty obvious from your posts here and at HTGTH.:slash:

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Anyone notice the differing sound levels between some songs? Also the difference in the sound levels for instruments, like drums between some songs?

The most shocking thing about all this is how so few are noticing the shabby production. Maybe the excitement of having it is overwhelming peoples senses. 16 It was the first thing I noticed when listening the first time.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I think because the songs are good a lot of people are willing to sidestep those sorts of issues.

deadsouth
 Rep: 10 

deadsouth wrote:

Callin the solo is rhiad shit is not being ungrateful, its being realistic..

JordanRose
 Rep: 6 

JordanRose wrote:
Locomotive98 wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Terrible mixing on Catcher and TWAT, ruins the songs.

Yeah I noticed the same thing, cant believe those shit bells and whistles things are still on the TWAT intro. As a whole the demos of these 2 were much better. Catcher though would be amazing if they'd left Brian on it, but we all know that. TWAT just lacks something that the older versions had IMO.

One thing that this album does lack is really punchy, catchy intros. Instead we have intros like Scraped, IRS, Better (all TERRIBLE intros IMO). The only real stinker though here for me is This I Love. The vocals for Madagascar also sound pretty damn poor, it still sounds like a demo. Funny, but the let downs here for the most part are Axl's vocals and Ron's solos.

I couldn't disagree more; I love the Twat intro. I want to try and explain what I think it is/means, although it's kinda hard. You know in the Estranged video where they filmed Axl in the kid's room when he climbed up on top or the wardrobe(?) and went to sleep during the shoot and said it was the most peaceful sleep he'd had? Well a lot of the emotional shit he'd dealt with on the record goes in tandem with all his baggage about being abused, going through regressional therapy etc. The sounds in the Twat intro bring to my mind the sound of broken toys, kinda like the soundtrack in a manchild's head as he's emotionally cowering in some dark place or going back in his head to some time long ago.

I think that all of the pain over Steph that comes out in Twat will have resulted in serious despression (well, we know this for a fact) and that at times he will have been catatonic, like a beaten child, and just emotionally broken. That intro, the choir and those sounds are like a little soundtrack to that place.

What these idiotic music critics don't understand is that Axl is not some sodding kid in an idie band playing guitar and singing silly pop songs. The guy deals in heavy emotion. He gets severely clinically depressed and takes years to get over failed relationships. All of the sweeping, grand arrangements in the songs convey his mental and emotional landscapes. Just because you don't have those ups and downs doesn't mean they don't exist.

As for punchy, catchy intros, I couldn't give a toss. This isn't Appetite, it's not a bunch of songs about birds, drinking, drugs and sex. The Better intro is superb.  Maybe the first and only time Axl has ever sung true falsetto ( funny that he doesn't sing falsetto when doing it live). It sounds completely unique and was magic last night when Zane Lowe played it. Like nothing else he played. When the songs ki9cks in with 'The hardest part...' that's the friggin punchy intro for you right there!

I love the IRS intro. Again, sounds so different to me. It's kinda cool to have a lower key beginning and intro to a song that, like Better, is a fairly standard verse/chorus/bridge/screamy bit format.

And lastly, how you can criticise Axl's vocals is absolutely beyond me. I too was hoping that Sod and Maddy would have amazing new vocals; I really thought those were rough, one-take demos. I'm especially cheesed off with the cut and paste job on the new SoD lyrics at the end. However, it is absolutely indisputable to me that Axl's vocals are overall totally magnificent. Go and listen to any of his contemporaries, whether the vocally bankrupt and shot Jon Bon Jovi or the monotonous Hetfield and compare their most recent efforts. Axl uses about 20 different fucking voices on this album, probably more, and uses technology and layering etc to create so many amazing sounds with his voice. You reckon Hetfield/Jovi etc could pull off an acapella intro like Scraped?! Dream on. If there's one thing that every fan, critic and hater should be able to agree on it's that Axl has just jumped up a hell of a lot higher in the list of all time greatest singers.

Sky Dog wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Olorin wrote:

Anyone notice the differing sound levels between some songs? Also the difference in the sound levels for instruments, like drums between some songs?

The most shocking thing about all this is how so few are noticing the shabby production. Maybe the excitement of having it is overwhelming peoples senses. 16 It was the first thing I noticed when listening the first time.

Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I think because the songs are good a lot of people are willing to sidestep those sorts of issues.

Shouldn't we wait to actually listen to the cd from beginning to end before putting the dagger in to the production? Are we gonna make final judgement based on leaks, fanmade shit, and mp3/4's from various digital sources? I understand your concerns, but in all fairness, half the time I don't know what I am listening to since I have 3 versions of the songs in various digital formats!:P

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
madagas wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
madagas wrote:

Scraped is balls to the wall rock....what are you Smoking? Riad? IRS? Shacklers?

Oh my God, Scraped is okay, but ermmm, okay, fuck, Axl just can do a rocker like he used to be able too....  Can Scraped really hang with YCBM or Nighttrain?

dude, nothing Axl does will be good enough for you unless Slash is involved....just admit it. You are an old school Slash nutswinger. Nothing wrong with that but it is pretty obvious from your posts here and at HTGTH.:slash:

Madagas!  WRONG!  Sorry is an awesome song.  Axl delivers....  Bucket Delivers...  most of the time.  The Ballads are much better than the rockers.  I like pretty much every song, just was stating I miss the rage and anger that was captured on earlier GNR stuff.  The new stuff is much tamer and polished.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Back to your original point, a song like Sucker Train Blues with Axl on Vocals would have rocked.....

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

JordanRose wrote:
russtcb wrote:

Just reading over this thread it's incredible how mixed the reviews are. I honestly think there's one point in this thread where each song is absolutely praised and then absolutely destroyed by someone else.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great thing and it only continues to whet my appetite for hearing it on Thursday! 9

Great point and something everyone should keep in mind. Remember when Axl said 'You'll like at least a few songs...'? This is an absolute melting pot of sounds across a record with great depths. I love most kinds of music and I love every single song on the record.  I'm not getting hung up on the details. Imagine if we'd never heard a leak except that atrotious quality I.R.S from 5 years ago, we'd all being beating ourselves absolutely stupid right now without worrying about who plays which solo.

I really hope the other 10 or so unheard tracks out there don't leak and that for the next albums we all get to hear them for the first time the week before they're released.

Yes, we were absolutely fucking desperate, but in many ways, hearing all these leaks and demos has completely fucked up our enjoyment of the finished product and we're being ungrateful sods!

Someone hit the nail on the head.

Sky Dog wrote:

I will be 42 years old in Jan. Axl is 46. Call me back when you get that age and let me know if you are the same as you were when you were 25.

You can deny my post all you want...."truth is the truth hurts, don't you agree?"   ha....I hate doing the dorky Axl song quote, but since you brought up Sorry.

Board footer