You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TheSundanceKid
 Rep: 30 

Re: Chinese Democracy Liner Note Discussions *EXTREME SPOILERS*

Can anyone hook me up with the booklet, I know I am new, but, I've been around on other forums.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

Is that a Finck solo in Catcher? Sure sounds like Bucket. Either way I'm loving it.

Sky Dog wrote:

I think it is Ron.

polluxlm wrote:

Is that a Finck solo in Catcher? Sure sounds like Bucket. Either way I'm loving it.

on the credits for Catcher it says Guitars solos:Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal,Robin Finck

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
Brett wrote:

My main problem with CD is Axl's lack of vocabulary and his singular songs that are extremely relevant to him, but should have been written broader so more people could relate to his music. TWAT is about Axl Rose, Estranged is about Axl Rose but subtle enough that anyone can take something from that song.

In all fairness, Ax has mentioned in the past that his main lyrical inspiration has been his moribund relationship to Stephanie Seymour and her son, Dylan. While it may result with a bunch of songs of Ax singing how miserable he is, it also allows him to explore deep emotions and gain a sense of honesty as to what he writes/sings about. That's always been a big part of Ax's songwriting; he more often than not really believes in the stuff he puts out.

andy16
 Rep: 0 

andy16 wrote:

sounds likes some interesting stuff, can someone send me a link?

cheers

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
Brett wrote:

My main problem with CD is Axl's lack of vocabulary and his singular songs that are extremely relevant to him, but should have been written broader so more people could relate to his music. TWAT is about Axl Rose, Estranged is about Axl Rose but subtle enough that anyone can take something from that song.

Dude!!!!!:mosh:

You have hit upon something that has really turned my world upside down in the last week or so.
I've been following this train wreck for 10 years, I truly believed that it could still be a Guns N'Roses record even without the old members, I truly believed that Axl was capable of pulling it off and had the guys with the talent to make a GN'R record that would stand tall with the bands mighty history.
The industrial elements, all the extra electronica, extra guitarists and general hoo-ha that was added to the sound never bothered me, it was quite exciting and refreshing. I liked or loved all the songs I had heard, I loved the show I attended, best gig of my life.

And now I have heard all of Chinese Democracy.... somethings changed.

I hear a whole lot of Axl Rose. I hear a whole lot of Axl Rose with Buckethead and Brain chucked in doing their thing, I hear all of that with Rons wanky bits and pieces cut and pasted onto the top of it.
I hear all of that with some quite bitter, resentful and occasionaly spiteful lyrics I have ever heard from a middle aged artist.
Its just seems like too much of Axl Rose and Axl Rose's sound with his allstar cast to convince me that this is GN'R.

Viewed as a whole, it is extremely singular like you say, and it just doesnt make me feel the way the earlier albums did.

I'm really trying hard to reserve judgement till I buy the album and digest it properly, but I'm slipping into the realisation that this is and always was an Axl Rose record.

"I wont bend my will to them" - Hmmmmm no, it seems you didnt, you dug your fucking heels in and did it your way.

Thats all well and good, but you called it Guns N'Roses.

I don't know if I'm comfortable with a record called Guns N'Roses that apparently has so much hostilty towards the guys that made that band so great.

Oh dear oh dear 17  I'm feeling confused and troubled, somethings not right here. It smells all wrong. And its not because I wish it was "like the old days", the music on this album is pretty great, but I'm still starting to have reservations..... I'm not positive that I'm feeling as supportive as I have been.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
bucketfan wrote:
Brett wrote:

Like Adler being kicked out of the band for drugs, May's exclusion is almost like a bad joke. They replaced Brian May with... Robin Finck? Are you fucking kidding?

I fucking wish I was kidding.  And the solo sounds bad, completely ruined the song in my opinion (same with Ron's solo in Riyadh).

I don't see what the big deal is.  Honestly.  Sure, May did some amazing work on Catcher, but i can see  why Axl would want people who actually spent a lot of time in GNR to be on this album. 

To me, it's not an insult.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I think these liner notes have thrown people for a loop. The sentiment Olorin just posted regarding 'its not GNR' will get louder. Also, some of the members that the hardcores propped up as gods for years had a very minimal impact on the record.

Gonna be a lot of mixed emotions over the release of this record.

Whether people consider it GNR or not doesn't change the fact Axl had sole control over what went on. He basically cherry picks what HE wants. I don't really see anything wrong with that since the success or failure of this all rides on him. However, I was never one of those people who thought the new incarnation would change the music scene like the old band did. All I looked forward to was a good album. Never expected a solid and stable lineup to build a second legacy. The band doesn't even have a current lineup. The band, much like the music, is just a cut and paste job of whatever Axl wants at that moment.

If Axl wants Chevy Chase to join the band and tour, its 'Hello Chevy, goodbye Ron". Just like that. These changes are so easy for him, and even made easier by the fact his hardcore base falls for it hook, line, and sinker. If Chevy Chase joined the band, more than half the fan sites would censor Ron and act like he never existed while a bunch of fans would start worshiping Chevy before he recorded one note or set foot on stage.

Axl is GNR. He's the only member that's not expendable. I think the liner notes help reflect this fact and should put all theories about any set lineup taking the world by storm on ice.

A 2008 lineup promoting a 2001 album? Cant wait to see that.

Did you new members find what you were looking for?

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Olorin wrote:
Brett wrote:

Dude!!!!!:mosh:

You have hit upon something that has really turned my world upside down in the last week or so.
I've been following this train wreck for 10 years, I truly believed that it could still be a Guns N'Roses record even without the old members, I truly believed that Axl was capable of pulling it off and had the guys with the talent to make a GN'R record that would stand tall with the bands mighty history.
The industrial elements, all the extra electronica, extra guitarists and general hoo-ha that was added to the sound never bothered me, it was quite exciting and refreshing. I liked or loved all the songs I had heard, I loved the show I attended, best gig of my life.

And now I have heard all of Chinese Democracy.... somethings changed.

I hear a whole lot of Axl Rose. I hear a whole lot of Axl Rose with Buckethead and Brain chucked in doing their thing, I hear all of that with Rons wanky bits and pieces cut and pasted onto the top of it.
I hear all of that with some quite bitter, resentful and occasionaly spiteful lyrics I have ever heard from a middle aged artist.
Its just seems like too much of Axl Rose and Axl Rose's sound with his allstar cast to convince me that this is GN'R.

Viewed as a whole, it is extremely singular like you say, and it just doesnt make me feel the way the earlier albums did.

I'm really trying hard to reserve judgement till I buy the album and digest it properly, but I'm slipping into the realisation that this is and always was an Axl Rose record.

"I wont bend my will to them" - Hmmmmm no, it seems you didnt, you dug your fucking heels in and did it your way.

Thats all well and good, but you called it Guns N'Roses.

I don't know if I'm comfortable with a record called Guns N'Roses that apparently has so much hostilty towards the guys that made that band so great.

Oh dear oh dear 17  I'm feeling confused and troubled, somethings not right here. It smells all wrong. And its not because I wish it was "like the old days", the music on this album is pretty great, but I'm still starting to have reservations..... I'm not positive that I'm feeling as supportive as I have been.

You were expecting something different than an album about Axl? 

I would have hoped that everyone knew from the beggining this album would always be about Axl.  It's his album.

Board footer