You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Re: Into the Wild

Saikin wrote:

Anyone seen or heard of this?  It's easily the best movie i've seen in a while. 

It's about a college graduate who gives up his life savings and his comfortable life to go live a life of homeless wandering and eventually making it up into the Alaskan wild to live off the land.  It's an increadible story and closely based off true events.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Never heard of it. If its on DVD, I'll add it to my Netflix queue.

Timothy
 Rep: 2 

Timothy wrote:

it's in theaters right now. Was directed by Sean Peen and Eddie Vedder did the sound track for it. Good film .

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

I have the book. It was required reading for a seminar I had last year called "Literature of Travel and Adventure." It's a hell of a story and I need to see the movie at some point.

luckylittlelady
 Rep: 20 

I read a review of this is a magazine just yesterday and it definatley sounded like something I want to see.  As i don't go to the cinema, I'll rent it when it's out.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
luckylittlelady wrote:

I read a review of this is a magazine just yesterday and it definatley sounded like something I want to see.  As i don't go to the cinema, I'll rent it when it's out.

Any particular reason you don't go to the cinema? For most stuff, it doesn't really matter. But I could not imagine first watching something like Batman Begins, Pirates of the Caribbean, 300, etc. on a TV. Some things are just meant to be seen on a huge screen. Into The Wild is a drama, although the book itself describes nature quite a bit so there's a possibility that there are some incredible visuals in the film.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

It's a film by Sean Penn, and Eddie Vedder did an amazing job with the soundtrack.

It's based off a true story.  It's about Christopher McCandles, who renames himself Alexander Supertramp during his journeys.  He graduates from Emory with honors.  He was a star student and a star athlete.  He then gives away his whole entire savings and leads a life of bare essentials, traveling alone most of the time, but staying with people along the way until finally making his way into the Alaskan wilderness where he attempts to live off the land.

He was an extremist, someone who never fit into society's mold, and had to find his own place in the world.  In the end of his lonely stay in Alaska he finds that society isn't the most important part of this world, the most important part is the people in it, and how society allows us to interact with those people.  "Happiness is only real when shared".  He discovers the true meaning of this phrase towards the end of his stay. 

It's a great movie, and it's got a great message to it.  Definently my favorite movie of 2007.

Board footer