You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: U2 "Reinvent Rock" on New Album

James wrote:

U2 producer Daniel Lanois is making some pretty strong claims of late. First, there's his contention that U2 has reinvented rock'n'roll on their forthcoming album. In an interview with The Boston Herald, Lanois said, "The president of the company" -- hint: he means Bono -- "is singing better than ever and the tracks are wildly innovative. I would never have thought things would have gone this way. I believe, well, rock'n'roll has been reinvented one more time." [Via NME.com]

Bold words Lanois. Anything else? "I also think Bono's lyrics get better with every record."

Wait there just a minute buddy. Do you expect us to believe that Bono has eclipsed the lyrical genius of "Vertigo"'s multilingual word puzzle: "Hello, hello... (Hola)/I'm at a place called Vertigo (Dónde estás)"? You're talking crazy brother.

http://www.spin.com/articles/u2-reinvent-rock-new-album

James

James wrote:

I am psyched for this. 3

2009: The year of M.I.A. and U2. 9

*and hopefully a Soundgarden reunion*

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Another classic in the making. I haven't gotten a bad U2 CD since, well, ever. I actually loved Zooropa.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

A Soundgarden reunion?  One could only hope Cornell releasing Scream will scare him back to those guys. 16

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:

U2 will reach new levels of disappointment in 1..2..3..14

James

James wrote:
dr_love6977 wrote:

U2 will reach new levels of disappointment in 1..2..3..14

Its funny how people keep saying that yet they continue to kick ass year in, year out and are the ONLY band to not be affected by the downloading era.

This band could shit an infectious single and sell out  any stadium on the globe in a nanosecond.

That's not too shabby for "disappointment".:haha:

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

U2 really burned their existing fanbase with a half-baked return to their '80s heyday beginning with 2000's All That You Can't Leave Behind. Rather than reinvent anything, they've done all they can to erase one part of their past while recreating another. Achtung Baby aside, their (largely superior) '90s catalogue has been disrespected and relegated to shoddy remixes to remove any of the experimental touches they employed at the time. This is coming from a life-long U2 fan, not a hater. What I do hate is what they've become, which is old.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I wouldn't be so quick to toss this aside. While I agree I wasn't a fan of their post Achtung 90's stuff (Lemon etc)... I think they TOTALLY came back swinging with 2001's All That You Can't Leave Behind. Totally refound themselves & their style, and How To Dimantle An Atomic Bomb was a great followup. Vertigo seemed good, but was getting a little more of the same. One thing about U2, unlike bands like Aerosmith they definitely change it up every 3 albums or so.

Funny too, because I remember reading an article in 2000 about the making of the new album, and it mentioned an Edge guitar lick (I think it was Beautiful Day) & I remember thinking "pffffftt, U2?!" Boy was I wrong.

One more album I'm curious about, I read somewhere Butch Vig (of Nevermind fame) is producing the new Green Day album. That could have potential.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Awesome interview with the Edge: 

http://www.atu2.com/news/article.src?ID=5134

Usualy I dont' buy into Bono's hype but knowing that Eno and Lanois are producing this,  knowing they've been asked to contribute to the writting, hearing Lanois thoughts on it and after reading this interview with The Edge I'm insanely psyched for this. I dont' wanna get ahead of myself, we all know it'll be hugely successful but I'm starting to get the sense we may be in store for somthing classic. Imagine if at this point in their carer they deliver on that?

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Do you know anything about that guitar effect/device the Edge is talking about?

That's one thing I love about Bucket. He is always trying new pieces of equipment and effects and styles.

Board footer