You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: The Star Wars Thread *NO SPOILERS ALLOWED!*

apex-twin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

You cant believe ANY reviews in this day and age. Reviews are bought and paid for now.

Exactly.

With any contemporary movie, either love it or leave it, that's fine with me.

But stay away from the bandwagon and the review median, because it's mainly harnessed to promote a commercial product instead of offering people with some insight as to how the work compares to others that've preceded it.

One can end up a corporate tool real quick by touting how great reviews are, and the film, therefore, must be good. If only the reviews would validate it.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

polluxlm wrote:

My review is coming. Those who liked the film will probably be better off not reading it.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Not remotely interested in this myself but I know a couple of people who've seen it already and really liked it fwiw.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:

Hilt on lightsaber stupid and impracticable! Childhood ruined, everything ruined!

I laughed then, not now. My worst fears have indeed become realized. Forget that it's a rehash, forget that characters are brought in for the sake of it, forget the bland environments. This movie is fucking with Star Wars mythology. Once you cross that line it's all over for a fan like me. You could give me the hallway shootout from the Matrix and it wouldn't matter. 

But this flick doesn't even have that. It's generic action, comedy and characters in the Marvel vein. Corporatism has swallowed another victim. From here on this franchise will be torrent only. I literally feel violated.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
Hidden Text:

We have instant Jedi now. No training required. You can defeat Sith Lords the first time holding a lightsaber.

Dark side neutered. Used to be it's lure was so strong and dangerous you would never come back from it (Vader was the first). Now dark siders have light side issues?

Non force user holding his own against a trained dark sider. To make it worse the dark sider in question can now read minds and freeze blaster fire in mid air, powers far surpassing that of anything in the previous 6 movies. Makes the stand of the amateurs look patently ridiculous.

Stormtroopers carry anti lightsaber equipment in a galaxy with no Jedi just in case.

Snoke? Who is he? I thought the Sith were extinct? Why does he have the same name as that Korean leader? Pretty much acts like him to, ie. a parody. Might as well put Thanos in there.

You're not a fan JJ, you're a damn hipster.

AtariLegend wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
Hidden Text:

We have instant Jedi now. No training required. You can defeat Sith Lords the first time holding a lightsaber.

Dark side neutered. Used to be it's lure was so strong and dangerous you would never come back from it (Vader was the first). Now dark siders have light side issues?

Non force user holding his own against a trained dark sider. To make it worse the dark sider in question can now read minds and freeze blaster fire in mid air, powers far surpassing that of anything in the previous 6 movies. Makes the stand of the amateurs look patently ridiculous.

Stormtroopers carry anti lightsaber equipment in a galaxy with no Jedi just in case.

Snoke? Who is he? I thought the Sith were extinct? Why does he have the same name as that Korean leader? Pretty much acts like him to, ie. a parody. Might as well put Thanos in there.

Potential Episode VIII spoiler/rumors from before VII ever came out (not necessarily true though)

Hidden Text:

Some leaks suggested that Rey was Luke's daughter, but she couldn't remember her past. I think that's their inevitable excuse for her ability. Only reason I even bought the leak, was that it came from people or a person potentially that originally (no idea) that predicted alot of the rest of the plot.

I think though that Kylo was pathetic, they never should have had the guy take of the mask. The bad guys aren't very conniving and the stupidity of the Death Star III was bewildering.

I do agree with the logic errors though. However come on, polluxlm it wasn't worse than the prequels when it came to fucking with the mythology.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
polluxlm wrote:
Hidden Text:

We have instant Jedi now.

That's inexcusable. They're not even trying. This sounds thrown together with them just going down a list of things needed in a Star Wars film and finding the quickest, easiest way to deal with it. I hope there's a backlash to this film but its unlikely.

polluxlm wrote:
Hidden Text:

Laughable.  Are these absurdities something the average moviegoer can pick up on?

polluxlm wrote:
Hidden Text:

14 Once Lucas wasn't involved, fans should have expected this outcome.  Now fans will never get a proper followup to Star Wars-Jedi and is why it should have been done decades ago. Star Wars nerds acted like it didn't matter. Yes it did matter and now you guys are finding out why.

However come on, polluxlm it wasn't worse than the prequels when it came to fucking with the mythology.

Cant blame the prequels for this mess and/or hold it up to the standards of the prequel. There is a huge difference in doing prequels to the original trilogy and doing a trilogy of sequels. Lucas had some wiggle room in prequels. Sequels need to stick to what happens in the original trilogy. They clearly aren't doing that and it looks like the coping mechanism is going to be "well its not as bad as the prequels!!" as if making the litmus test Jar Jar Binks gives this thing a free pass. 16

You guys are really making me want to download this thing now instead of later.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:
Hidden Text:

Some leaks suggested that Rey was Luke's daughter, but she couldn't remember her past. I think that's their inevitable excuse for her ability. Only reason I even bought the leak, was that it came from people or a person potentially that originally (no idea) that predicted alot of the rest of the plot.

I think though that Kylo was pathetic, they never should have had the guy take of the mask. The bad guys aren't very conniving and the stupidity of the Death Star III was bewildering.

I do agree with the logic errors though. However come on, polluxlm it wasn't worse than the prequels when it came to fucking with the mythology.

Hidden Text:

I hope to God she's not since that would imply Luke left her on (Tattooine) or they are doing another rehash of children being hidden.

Either way that should have little to no bearing on her ability. Anakin was born from the force and him and his son still had to train for years to become competent. It didn't help Anakin or Luke one bit that they had enormous force potential when going up against seasoned Sith Lord's. Kylo Ren might not be a master, but he was trained by Luke Skywalker and after that a guy evidently more powerful than that even (why else turn?). Yet he can barely beat a non force sensitive and gets crushed against a person who at best hasn't had any force training since she was a little kid. My feeling from the Maz Kanata scene was that she had had none, that she was just a girl with potential. Ambiguous enough for them to go where they want though.

Hidden Text:

Only thing prequels radically changed was lightsaber combat. And that had logical in universe reasons, reasons which had been established in ESB and ROTJ already. The idea that agile, trained Jedi can do jumps, fight faster etc. And the prequels were supposed to show the Jedi and the Sith in their prime. Midichlorians are just there to rationale why some people have more innate force ability than others. This is from the OT and expanded upon to make the force special like it's supposed to be. You don't go to McDonalds to become a Jedi.

polluxlm

polluxlm wrote:
Hidden Text:
James Lofton wrote:

That's inexcusable. They're not even trying. This sounds thrown together with them just going down a list of things needed in a Star Wars film and finding the quickest, easiest way to deal with it. I hope there's a backlash to this film but its unlikely.

Part of me expects an eventual backlash similar to the prequels, another part of me wonders if this is now considered not only good enough, but cutting edge in modern society.

Laughable.  Are these absurdities something the average moviegoer can pick up on?

Probably not.

14 Once Lucas wasn't involved, fans should have expected this outcome.  Now fans will never get a proper followup to Star Wars-Jedi and is why it should have been done decades ago. Star Wars nerds acted like it didn't matter. Yes it did matter and now you guys are finding out why.

I knew with Lucas gone, the creator and executive producer on the first 6 films, something integral would be lost. Like losing Alex Ferguson you just don't replace that. So I was fully prepared for a departure of a lot of things. On the one hand I could take a shoddy film if the spirit was respected, and I could probably also take a disrespectful film as long as it was daring and entertaining. But I see very little of either here.

Cant blame the prequels for this mess and/or hold it up to the standards of the prequel. There is a huge difference in doing prequels to the original trilogy and doing a trilogy of sequels. Lucas had some wiggle room in prequels. Sequels need to stick to what happens in the original trilogy. They clearly aren't doing that and it looks like the coping mechanism is going to be "well its not as bad as the prequels!!" as if making the litmus test Jar Jar Binks gives this thing a free pass. 16

You guys are really making me want to download this thing now instead of later.

Most of the reviews I've seen use "better than the prequels" as a form of benchmark. That could suggest an eventual backlash when the shine wears off. It depends on whether or not the PT haters are willing to sacrifice TFA the holy cow. I actually doubt it. They've painted themselves into a corner when they laid it all on Lucas. Who are they going to blame now that he's gone? Psychological preservation might ensure that this gets a "pass" since any concessions will backfire on themselves. What could happen is TFA haters managing to make as much noise as the former group did on the prequels. That might be interesting.
If it survives until the sequel and that one is a better film, I think it will just pass into oblivion like Avatar. Eventually people will realize that you might as well just watch the OT again rather than these bad imitations.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I feel bad for you guys here that didn't enjoy it. Yeah, it was a bit of a throwback for nostalgia sake, but compared to the horrid prequels, it was definitely a step in the right direction.

I found the characters to be warm and interesting compared to the wooden Anakin from 2 & 3, and they had a real sincerity to them too.

I want to see it again before making final judgment on where it ranks amongst the previous 6 films.

Board footer