You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Revisiting Slash's Snakepit

monkeychow wrote:

I'm not sure how people, including if I didn't misunderstand him, Axl, can say that slash post GNR does not do impressive guitar work, when IFOCS is basicly a VERY similar album guitar wise to AFD.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:

Actually, IFOCS is a very complex, layered record, guitar and song structure wise. I get it if you don't like Eric's voice (I do, love it), but there's really nothing there except for really, really well written songs.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

I'm not sure how people, including if I didn't misunderstand him, Axl, can say that slash post GNR does not do impressive guitar work, when IFOCS is basicly a VERY similar album guitar wise to AFD.

I agree, the guitar playing on that album is great, even if as "overall songs" they aren't as good as Slash's GN'R stuff. The riffs and solos are all pretty killer.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

More than half the album is filler. There's the beginnings of a great record here though. Axl shouldn't have flat out rejected it, but I can see why he leaned in that direction. Also understandable the stories about him wanting the material back after he rejected it. He knew in hindsight he passed on a miniature goldmine.

Let Axl put the old midas touch on....

Neither Can I
Beggars and Hangers On
Good to Be Alive
Monkey Chow
Lower

....and they're a third of the way to a solid GNR album in 1996.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Good post James.  I think Beggars is a damn good song, even with Dover, but I agree, with Axl on vocals it could have been on a much higher level.  Same thing with Slither to be honest.  Lower is another tune right up Axl's vocal's alley especially when he uses the deeper voice.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

I couldn't name more than 2 or 3 fillers on 5 O'clock. It's a great album, even without Axl. A lot of pure, great, energetic riffs, fantastic, over-the-top solos, great structures and decent lyrics. I'm more satisfied with Dover's singing than any post-Slash guitarist's playing (except BH). The best GN'R-related stuff since the Illusions.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

Holy Fuck, this is badass, Gilby plays the lead lines, then Slash delivers a MONSTER solo in the middle of the song.  What a great band in thier own right this band was, could have been.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

^ Fuck I miss that band....i like VR too...but slash was just on fire back in these days...Slash+Dover was pretty cool....I hope there's some cool shit on his solo record.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

just think... that was a GREAT album... how good could it have been had axl  been involved....someone call eric dover and mike inez....we need a real follow up to the best gnr related record since UYI....

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

^ Fuck I miss that band....i like VR too...but slash was just on fire back in these days...Slash+Dover was pretty cool....I hope there's some cool shit on his solo record.

nothing he ever does, with the exception of gnr will EVER touch that...^

*karma*

Board footer