You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: In the Wake of a 100-0 Win, a Texas Coach Loses His Job

James wrote:

DALLAS (AP) — The coach of a Texas high school basketball team that beat another team by 100-0 was fired Sunday, the same day he sent an e-mail message to a newspaper saying he would not apologize “for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity.”

Kyle Queal, the headmaster for Covenant School, told The Dallas Morning News that he could not answer if the firing was a direct result of Coach Micah Grimes’s e-mail message disagreeing with administrators who called the blowout “shameful.”

Queal did not immediately respond to telephone messages or e-mail messages.

On its Web site last week, Covenant, a private Christian school, posted a statement regretting the outcome of its shutout win over Dallas Academy on Jan. 13. “It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened,” said the statement, signed by Queal and the board chairman, Todd Doshier. “This clearly does not reflect a Christlike and honorable approach to competition.”

Grimes, who has been criticized for letting the game get so far out of hand, made it clear in the e-mail message Sunday to the newspaper that he did not agree with his school’s assessment.

“In response to the statement posted on The Covenant School Web site, I do not agree with the apology or the notion that the Covenant School girls basketball team should feel embarrassed or ashamed,” Grimes said. “We played the game as it was meant to be played. My values and my beliefs would not allow me to run up the score on any opponent, and it will not allow me to apologize for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity.”

A phone number for Grimes could not be located by The Associated Press. The Dallas Morning News said Grimes did not respond to its repeated e-mail requests for a telephone interview.

A parent who attended the game said Covenant continued to make 3-pointers — even in the fourth quarter. She praised the Covenant players but said spectators and an assistant were cheering wildly as their team edged closer to 100 points.

Covenant was ahead, 59-0, at halftime.

Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. It is winless over the last four seasons. The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with “learning differences,” like short attention spans or dyslexia.

There is no mercy rule in girls basketball that shortens the game or permits the clock to continue running when scores become one-sided. There is, however, “a golden rule” that should have applied in this contest, Edd Burleson, the director of the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools, said last week. Both schools are members of this association, which oversees private school athletics in Texas.

The story has received national attention, and the Dallas Academy team has been recognized for refusing to give up during the lopsided contest.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/26/sport … ml?_r=1&em

James

James wrote:

Why do we have to live in a world full of sissies? You lost. Deal with it. No one deserves to lose their job because you got your asses whipped on the court.

I was on the basketball team in junior high. When it came time for the tournament, our coach made us watch the other games going on. In the first round, Franklin(a kick ass team we knew we would meet in the finals) kicked Hart Ransom's ass 77-2. Did Hart Ransom cry? Did the parents get in an uproar over that shitty team? Was the Franklin coach fired? No. They had some integrity and just dealt with the loss like normal humans should. Of course that was in the 80s long before this garbage culture started brewing.

For the record, we beat Franklin in the finals by two points. 9

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I'm glad he was fired. Then again, I have a soul.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

Yeah I read this at another forum I'm at. Pretty fucking stupid huh?

James

James wrote:
Communist China wrote:

I'm glad he was fired. Then again, I have a soul.

Winning requires that you don't have a soul and need to be in the unemployment line?

If that team didn't want to lose, try harder. When you go out on the court, its not your objective to take it easy on your competition.

Aren't you in some school band? Next time you have some competition, be sure to give a mediocre performance so your competition has a good chance at winning.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

As a side note, our school band refuses to play competitions anymore because of the mentality of winning a certain place or an award. We just play extremely well for the sake of doing extremely well.

But music is different - your success can be judged on its own without regard for anyone else. It isn't about being better than someone else, it's about being as good as you can be. And you can celebrate with those beneath or above you just the same. Unless you're in marching band, that's a different mentality haha.

Yes, this team won. They didn't need to lose to make the others feel good, but you can stop pressing full court when you're up 59-0 at halftime. It's not even that the other girls are bad - they're handicapped! If this happened in pro, semi-pro, hell even college, ok we move on, but in a high school game against a 20 girl school with learning disabilities this is a totally classless display.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I personally think the kids should've been shot, as soon as the game finished.

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Yes, this team won. They didn't need to lose to make the others feel good, but you can stop pressing full court when you're up 59-0 at halftime. It's not even that the other girls are bad - they're handicapped! If this happened in pro, semi-pro, hell even college, ok we move on, but in a high school game against a 20 girl school with learning disabilities this is a totally classless display.

i'm sorry but i disagree with you. you know what i do when i am shitty at some sport and can't get better? i stop playing that sport. i don't go to the opponent crying and begging to stop kicking my ass. i try my best and learn from every loss.

and why should a man lose his job because that team sucked? "oh, i'm so sad i lost this game" let's put blame on someone else and fuck up their life because we're sad.

and if they are handicapped then get them in games with other teams of handicapped people. they want to be treated like a handicapped people's team then say so at the start of the game. "look, we have handicapped people in our team, so could you please go a little easy on us, or give us a 50 point handicap from the start?" but no, instead they waited until after the game and blamed the other coach.

why the double standards? you have a handicapped team but you want to play with normal kids? then don't come home crying that you lost 100-0.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

this story has been going on for a week or 2....kinda stupid....issue an appology and move on already

cant believe they fired him though

myillusions
 Rep: 5 

myillusions wrote:

The pussification of America is growing faster than ever!

The coach should not apologize and should not have been fired. If anyone should apologize and be fired it is the coach of the losing team for bringing that awful of a team to play. What does this guy do to justify his pay? How long has it been since they've won a game?

Board footer