You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: 'Chinese Democracy' Officially Drops out of the Billboard Top 200

Axlin16 wrote:

I personally am gonna just say everything Bono is saying is the truth.

I've never once remembered a time that GN'R were considered 'uncool'. The only people that thought GN'R were uncool were Cobain-nutswingers that had a cobb wedged up their ass about 10 miles that when on and on about how there cool, simply because their hero turned his brains into an expressionist painting.

Everyone else pretty much, majority, still thought GN'R were a great rock band, even if they were moving into more of a Queen-direction, and less of the sleazy underground act they were founded as.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

seems to me that you're both right. There were pockets or separate groups of people that labeled gnr "uncool". misterid and i were asoociated with one. axlin and bono were not.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

I am with Bono and Axlin08, GNR never became uncool until maybe the infamous MTV Music awards a few years ago.  All through college 97-2001, we still rocked out to GNR and they made the bitches panties wet.  EVERYONE loved GNR.  Everyone missed GNR.  I remember people always asking, "when the hell is GNR coming out with a new album" yada yada yada.  They were selling out fucking stadiums in the prime time Grunger era.  Only Mettallica could still do that of bands from the 80's.  GNR killed GNR, not Nirvana or Pearl Jam.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Those of you that think GNR were cool in the mid 90s......where did you live? Maybe age factors into this as well. I am one of the older members here, and I can tell you that pet rocks were cooler than GNR in that 94-97 period. Hell, I didn't even give a shit about the band then. Too much good music back then to be interested in a GNR cover album. People made fun of the band anytime their name came up.

The band was running on cruise control during that 93 tour. When TSI hit the shelves, no one gave a shit. Fans who bought it simply bought it out of habit of always picking up a new GNR disc when it hit shelves. Anyone interested in "punk" wasn't listening to these punk covers. They were listening to Green Day and Offspring. When Since I Don't Have You got a minor push in late 93-mid 94, people turned the volume down until something relevant like Soundgarden, Nirvana, Meatloaf, Rod Stewart, etc. was played.

I know fans here are pretty much spread out through different areas of the globe, but I can vouch for the fact that in California and the midwest from late 92/early 93 up until late 90s, nobody gave two shits about GNR or its members. Slash having a decent run with that first Snakepit album(which was good) is an anomaly which will never be explained. I guess it shows how iconic Slash was even during that era and that his icon status eclipses the GNR name to a certain degree.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

right james - i'm 33 and know exactly what you are talking about....

gnr was labeled "uncool"  by people who didn't like the direction they went with the illusion albums.

just cause you guys didn't see it, doesn't mean it didn't happen.

I think this started before the grundge push and then that came and finished the job.

they lost the underground base first and then the mainstream.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Well I'm 31 and James what you just said could not be further from the truth here in Alberta, Canada. More and more I'm so glad I live where I live as far as popular music goes.  Rock music never died here. Gn'R never died or became uncool. NEVER.  It just didn't happen here thank god.

I was in HMV the other day and the top 5 album were

1. U2
2. Lamb of God
3. Kings of Leon
4. War Child international covers
5. Kelly Clarkson.

That's fucking cool in todays age given what coudl be on the top sellers list. But Canada has always rocked more anyways tongue

So yeah I never experienced an era where Gn'R was uncool cause it simply and honestly DID NOT happen anywhere near where I live. And just for the record I live 1 hour south of Edmonton and 1 hour north of Calgary so it's not like I'm stuck in the boonies or something 16

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think we need to distinguish between cool and marketable. Perhaps the school kids had begun to mock GNR because it was born in the 80s...and perhaps the media was having a good time pimping the grunge revolution....but didn't this come up in refrence to GNR as a brand adding value to sales? I mean in 93 I saw GNR at a concert with like 75,000 people...thats bums in seats. Fads come and go...but the history alone makes GNR a marketable band.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Regardless of whether or not you were a "school kid" listening to whats cool, Soundgarden was destroying GNR not just on the relevancy scale, but on musical output at that point. In the relevancy factor, GNR started slipping during that monster GNR/Metallica tour. While I personally did not see them on that tour, I knew people who did and no one had anything good to say about the GNR aspect of the event.

TSI and a push for Since I Don't Have You, Superunknown and a push for Fell On Black Days, Nirvana literally in its death throes with Heart Shaped Box, or The Offspring with Come Out and Play?

I'll take Superunknown for a thousand, Alex.....

By the way, people blow the "grunge revolution" out of proportion. Yeah it was massive in the late 91-92 period, but only survived in cruise control based on the incredible albums coming out in its later phase. In fact, Black Hole Sun is literally the last massive hit in the grunge era, and that occurred summer 94.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

People forget how dramatically the rock scene shifted in 92, and it wasn't just Grunge: The Beastie Boys got huge. Red Hot Chili Peppers got huge. NIN got huge. Smashing Pumpkins were getting huge. Weezer was on the cusp of getting huge. Marilyn Manson was about to explode. And U2 got huge...er. 16

People need to stop making Kurt out to be the villain. I wasn't even a huge Nirvana fan, but Nevermind did have the same impact that AFD did. It was their turn. The media treated him like a darling just like they did Axl in the beginning. His death just put him into a mytic plain because his last album was a Goddamn masterpiece. UYI wasn't. GNR was suffering and they did a lot of it to themselves.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who remembers what was going on.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

The Skin & Bones tour I saw in Edmonton in March 1993 was fucking amazing. Largest wave I've ever seen by the fans. It roared around the bulding about 9 times strong in the dark. Amazing kickass performances. by the band. It was wicked. 

Soundgarden was actually fairly disliked around here. I remeber people being overly sick of them durring the Balck Hole Sun run. That song ruined that band almost and people were sick of them already. Soundgarden never made much of a dent here. Offspring was big.

Board footer