You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Abbey_Road
 Rep: 16 

Re: Serious question

Abbey_Road wrote:

What has happened to Heretodaygonetohell.com?  A year ago, that site was the first place people would go and search for news about their favorite band.  Now it seems to me anyway, that less people go over there.  Can someone fill me in as to how or why all that has changed?

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Without bashing "The H"...  I have a few theories I think added up may explain most of it.

A. There really isn't GnR "News" anymore, therefore, alot of moderate/slightly curious fans no longer visit, and have moved on to other, non-GnR related forums and websites. Essentially giving up hope CD will be appearing anytime soon. Likely they will return if & when a release date is announced.

B. Similar to A, but that alot of posters only had GnR as their flavor of the month band. ("Yeah, I love GnR" 6 months later, "ACDC is great!!"  6 months later "Metallica the best band ever!!"). They have their leaks, but now have a new 'favorite' band.  This would mostly attribute to a younger crowd, likely of school age (teens - 22/25).

C. People got fed up with alot of things & rules related to HTGTH. It gets frustrating there and reading "What shirt is Axl wearing in this picture" is a waste of anybody's time. These people have moved on to other sites and are now free to post whatever they want on other GnR forums.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

AtariLegend wrote:

I don't think it has anything to do with the posters age, considering half the people online are 25+...

The nonsense regarding the "Censorship" was pretty dumb, the people who post there don't work there, they're fans, the fact that so much of the band was off-topic is pretty dumb.

People realized that there are other forums that offered what they wanted hence while HTGTH members dropped rapidly (There where literally times when more people are on ROV than HTGTH), MYGNR and ChineseDemocracy retained their board.

MYGNR is probably the closest thing to what HTGTH was supposed to be 13 months ago.

Things changed totally after the RS article.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

People got tired of the new rules and vibe of the forum. Nuff said hmm

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:

Is this a thread to bitch about other GnR forums?.... Awesome, I'm in.

I have nothing against Jarmo and he's free to run his site however he chooses smile

MyGNR has waaay to many ads and that seriously pisses me off.

ChineseDemocracy - don't run it down, I'm a mod there 14

ROV.com - looks dead and buried. could change when he relaunches fully, though missed his window of opportunity imo.

GNRDaily - Rarely visit the place but seems pretty busy whenever I do check it out. Nice design.

GNRsucks - Final nail in the coffin was posting the teaser of Chi Dem leak and refusing to post more (he must have known fans would backlash his refusal). If he'd promoted his forum when posting that leak/clip he would have the busiest GNR forum online today.

GNRevolution - pile o' crap 14

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Touchy subject, although everyone here has class so lets leave any Jarmo bashing out of the equation. I certainly don't agree with the direction that site took after the early 06 leak craze, and started going there less and less. The so called "censorship"(not as much against members but actual news/articles) was the nail in the coffin for me.

Before 2006, I considered HTGTH to be the best website in the history of the net. Now I wouldn't even rank it in the top 5 GNR forums. You all make good points, and I do agree that mygnr is pretty close to what HTGTH used to be, but like downliner said they have ads, and quite a few of their posters are immature(not knocking everyone there though).

GNR Strip used to be a huge site, and then turned into more of a spam site. I rarely go there now.

I cant stand the guys who run thenewguns, but I always liked how the site looked, and they have certainly helped the entire community regarding downloads(especially in 06). Its not an active forum though because of the staff's attitude towards its members, although they do get people there downloading. I'm speaking from past experience. I have no idea how the site is now because I do not go there.

Not a big fan of GNRsource, but thats mainly from a confrontation with one of the site's staff over plagiarizing Sp1at in one of their first articles. They corrected it, and it kind of got blown out of proportion. I don't hate them, as I know quite a few people there. I dont go there, although that has nothing to do with the quality of the site itself.

CD.com is ok I guess in certain aspects, and for some strange reason it seems to have a ton of younger fans. I rarely go there, and post maybe once or twice a month.

Back to HTGTH: You guys were pretty spot on with why its not regarded as the top dog anymore. Alot of long time members like myself went to other forums, people like saul started concentrating on their own site(buckethead.tk), some people moved on completely, and like Pasnow said, alot of the younger fans found a new favorite band.

I post at mygnr and cd.com occasionally, but this site is the only GNR site I come to on a daily basis. I go to more non GNR sites now.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

One other thing...

Another bad thing about HTGTH was the ton of dipshits who invaded the site when the leaks happened. It went from being this large yet close knit community to dipshits ruining threads and creating some of the dumbest threads I've ever seen. That finally got taken care of by Jarmo and his staff, but by that time the censoring articles thing was in full swing and the damage was done.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Theres 2 reasons I lost interest in HTGTH:

1. The censorship there has caused it to lose relevance. Compare the difference when the Maddy leak happened...ROV sent fans an email about it, and had a prominant discussion about the song and why it leaked., HTGTH spent several hours/days pretending it wasn't happening, deleting any refrence to it, and the major topic on the board there was something pointless like Axl's sneaker brand or something.

2. I don't think the site is run in a way thats resepctful to all types of fans. GNR has fans that like the old band, fans that like the new band, and fans that like both. Why is that so hard for people to understand. Yet since about mid 2006, it seems that the way to express fandom of the new band is to give as much shit as possible regardless of context to anyone in the old band, or fans of the old band. That this is encouraged or at a minimum sanctioned at the highest levels there really astounds me. And seems to have started circa 2006 for whatever reason - prior to that the site was more balanced in its philosophy.  But each to their own I guess. However I've just found it too insulting on more than one occasion  - so now i come here all the time and only occasionly drop in there.

Abbey_Road
 Rep: 16 

Abbey_Road wrote:

What I don't get is why there is a separate section for Velvet Revolver and it is practically  hidden.  And this Jarmo keeps picking fights with Velvet Revolver (mainly Slash fans).

I have also noticed that a lot of their articles have disappeared off there too.  I remember seeing one where Tommy Stinson said in 05 that he'd support Axl if Axl wanted to do a reunion show.

The censorship is ridiculous.  And has anyone read Jarmo's arguement.  Is it just me or is that dude grasping for straws when he tries to prove his point of view?

Board footer