You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Angel Down Selling Out

Posted on the official Sabastian Bach message board

We're noticing a stocking issue where stores are selling out.
We need to know the store, store number if you can get it, city and state where you are having any problems finding the record.

Not a bad problem to have, but a problem nonetheless.
Thanks
Sebastian Bach's administration.
(ACEKICKEN)

Seems as if this is really having a great first day, I for one figured this album would do extremely well and by today stats with people reporting stores being sold out already that's not to shabby.

As much as I thought it would do well, I really didn't expect it to sell out in places.   Good for Baz and good for Axl who lended his voice to this 9

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

I called around and Circuit City isn't the only chain who has sold out here.  I tried three places and all three have sold out.  That doesn't mean paydirt for sure but it is definitely looking good.  The album is far from perfect but it is definitely better than I expected.

I definitely have to try my hardest to get out at lunch time tomorrow to a store.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I bet Bach intentionally had few copies sent out to retailers to try and create a buzz. This was done with M.I.A.'s single Boyz. It was a catastrophic failure for her, and will be for Baz. Even worse for Baz because its an album not a damn single.

Artists and/or labels think these types of things are cool and innovative in this era when its just pure stupidity instead.

it would be interesting to know how many copies were pressed and sent to stores.   that would be stupid if that was the case and people end up not being able to buy it.. lol.  but i really think this album is going to do well.  its a solid rock album, Sebastian is at his best since STTG, Axl is on it, and Baz has been doing a radio tour for the last month promoting this thing all over the place.   good to hear its is selling out in places.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I'm not discounting the possibility that its selling, just that its not selling many copies. Baz(or whoever) can post on his message board, "HEY, my disc is selling out all across the country!!!". He's right, but what he's not saying is only a few thousand copies were likely pressed. I checked a metal board(non GNR although they sometimes get mentioned) and a Best Buy that some dude bought it at only stocked two copies. No shit. Two fucking copies.

In my opinion this is a calculated move and its not going to work. In the downloading era we are in, when your album is getting good reviews, you need product in stores immediately upon release. Someone goes to Best Buy and its not there, they head to their favorite p2p site instead, free of charge.

As I said earlier, this happened with MIA at the beginning of her tour months before her album release. She released the Boyz single, and everybody wanted it and nobody could find it because they were dipshits and didn't stock it anywhere. Fans had to rely on other fans to send megaupload links so everyone could have the track. She missed out on thousands of sales because of it, and by the time the single was available everywhere, no one cared because they had heard the song for going on two months and already had another single.

Artists need to use their brains now when putting out product. There's no time anymore for pussyfooting around hoping for lame buzzes. This era is all about instant gratification, and usually for free. People don't want their new music next week, they want it NOW. If an artist or store is unwilling to provide that, a p2p site will.

When CD is ready for release, Interscope better press a million copies. I'm not saying it will sell that much opening week, but they better have that many ready to be bought. It will turn into a disaster if there aren't enough CDs on the shelves.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:

James, I said this would happen in one of the 18 other threads on Angel Down.....stores probably only carried 2-5 copies and they were snapped up by insane Gnr FANS....In Seb's case, it is better to print too few than too many. He has no way to gauge the size of the Gnr-Axl audience. I don't think it was a marketing ploy. They just really didn't have any idea of what to expect.

Horrific
 Rep: 7 

Horrific wrote:

How widespread is this album available?Anybody know?

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

My assumption is that the record company didn't expect this to sell as well as it is.  It might have to do with the fact that there was very little promotion and it wasn't an album that the mainstream was looking forward to.  Hardcore GNR and Axl fans are snapping this one up, causing them to sell more than expected.  I haven't been to a record store in the last few days.  Maybe I'll check out a couple here and get the scoop or even see if it was available here in the first place.  When record stores don't anticipate an album selling a lot, they don't order a lot and they don't run any promotion for it anyway.  I'm sure Jani Lane's solo album wasn't in great stock when it was released.

Board footer