You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Abbey_Road
 Rep: 16 

Re: Some more interesting points in Slash's book that I never knew about

Abbey_Road wrote:

I never knew that UYI was recorded raw without all the synths that Axl added.  Slash says in his book that he wishes there was a copy of UYI floating around on the internet with this "raw" sound because UYI without the synth had the raw feeling like AFD did.

I also never knew that the UYI tour went as long as it did.  Also, Axl was spending like crazy on the tour with the lavish afterparties and Slash says that Doug Goldstein summed it up to Axl like this, "if you want to keep your lavish mansion in Malibu, you need to earn more money" so I guess what they earned on the tour was spent very quickly on afterparties and stuff.

I also never knew that for the whole UYI tour, they had two camera guys who filmed it all.  Slash says he'd love to see a copy of that because it captures rare moments such as him and Izzy just jamming and Slash says that all this footage is locked in a vault that will remain shut forever unless he, Axl and the rest of the guys get their differences ironed out.

There was a time?

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah, this stuff isn't really new, it just hasn't been mentioned much in years. The UYI tour footage is infamous. Its one of those holy grails we will never get because the old band imploded. They were planning to do a movie revolving around footage from the tour(ala The Song Remains the Same), but it didn't happen.

Slash has said since UYI was released that the albums were incredible before Axl started adding shit and rerecording stuff.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

AtariLegend wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

Yeah, this stuff isn't really new, it just hasn't been mentioned much in years. The UYI tour footage is infamous. Its one of those holy grails we will never get because the old band imploded. They were planning to do a movie revolving around footage from the tour(ala The Song Remains the Same), but it didn't happen.

Slash has said since UYI was released that the albums were incredible before Axl started adding shit and rerecording stuff.

If the Axl had done everything Slash wanted, we've never would have heard "Sweet Child O' Mine"...

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

...Slash has said since UYI was released that the albums were incredible before Axl started adding shit and rerecording stuff.

I think that each of them (Izzy, Axl & Slash) feel that the other is at fault for the record not turning out right.

I think a major reason for the final product is Izzy's disinterest in the project around late 90/early 91. Its also around the time Sorum entered the picture, which probably isn't a coincidence. In the 88-90 period, Izzy was one of the most vocal regarding the UYI material(in magazine interviews anyways). Then after the Adler firing and actual studio work was being done, he seemed to stop caring. He no longer discussed the albums and rarely did interviews for years. It seems the Adler departure(or a dislike of Sorum) was a big factor in how the project turned out.

Izzy wrote about half of UYI, and his actual playing on the record is minimal when compared to writing contribution. Had he played a bigger role in the studio, he might have been able to reign Axl in on certain things.

If the Axl had done everything Slash wanted, we've never would have heard "Sweet Child O' Mine"...

I don't think anyone can really deny the faults with UYI, regardless of how Slash felt about a solo he created.

Sky Dog wrote:

Izzy also blamed Slash for recording over his parts....Slash also said that Izzy wasn't interested enough to contribute to alot of things. Axl also said he was the one to fight to have Izzy's songs and vocals on the records....November Rain, which blew them up massively on a worldwide stage, certainly wasn't Slash's doing....they all have their stories. Get over it. The allbums sold over 30 million worldwide. They did alright.....no one is to blame and everyone is to blame.:thumbup:

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:

Slash actually mentions November Rain in the book.  About how they recorded it for Appetite, but it was 18 minutes long, and that he uses the same solo now that he did back then. 

He also mentions writing guitar melodies for NR, Estranged, etc, and not getting any writing credit.  He was a little concerned, but let it go because they were actually moving forward.

TheMole
 Rep: 77 

TheMole wrote:
Synyster Gates wrote:

He also mentions writing guitar melodies for NR, Estranged, etc, and not getting any writing credit.  He was a little concerned, but let it go because they were actually moving forward.

It's been a while since I took a look at the artwork for UYI, but isn't there a special "thank you" from Axl to Slash in there for the killer guitar melodies?

Rex
 Rep: 50 

Rex wrote:
TheMole wrote:
Synyster Gates wrote:

It's been a while since I took a look at the artwork for UYI, but isn't there a special "thank you" from Axl to Slash in there for the killer guitar melodies?

Yeah, but they thanked tons of people in the artwork that had nothing to do with the songs.

There must be a difference or Slash wouldn'tve wrote anything about it in his book.

Board footer