You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Abbey_Road
 Rep: 16 

Re: Slash and Duff have discussed doing a GNR reunion show

Abbey_Road wrote:

An admin at mygnr.com posted this

An article appeared in the Nov. 23 edition of the Courier-Mail that quotes Duff as saying that he and Slash have discussed doing a GNR show. It sounds like they'd reunite with Axl if Axl asked.

Here's the article:

Features
Q CONFIDENTIAL
Darren Cartwright, Amy Harris, Phil Bartsch
23 November 2007
The Courier-Mail

Big smoothie gunning for reunion gigs

VELVET Revolver's bass guitarist Duff says he's open to hooking up with Guns 'N' Roses again and, of course, Axl Rose -- as as long as it's not too chaotic. And he intends seeing Australia on a Harley-Davidson when his band tours next month.

Speaking to Qconfidential from a beachside bar in Maui where he ordered a cocktail during the interview, Duff, pictured with wife Susan last year, said he and Slash had discussed a possible Guns 'N' Roses show.

``It would be a lot of fun as long as it was on a fun level and say just 10 shows to huge crowds,'' Duff said.

``But we're not really hanging around for a call or with our breath held.''

Duff's more immediate focus is Velvet Revolver's show on December at the Brisbane Convention Centre. The band has visas for their visit downunder, unlike their tour of Japan which had to be cancelled because they were denied visas.

He was last here with the band a couple of years ago and surprised a number of locals, especially a three-piece cover band, when they turned up at the Victory Hotel on a Sunday night.

``Brisbane's an awesome place and I remember that pub and the people were really friendly,'' Duff said.

``Anywhere where there's sunshine and palm trees people are happy.''

As for his love of Harleys: ``We're going to get a couple of bikes and on our days off tour around country. It's better than staying in your hotel room.''

--------------------

of course they'd go back.   i never doubted that.   Axl won't have them back.   He would never do it until long after he's done what he wants to do with these 4 albums.   If he never does anything, I don't see him ducking his head between his legs and calling those guys up.  That would be a very pussy move on his part and I'd honestly lose a lot of respect for him.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The only thing i don't like about this is the "just for 10 shows to huge crowds" cos that means i almost certainly won't get to go if it happens.

I say make a new album....then they dont even have to hang together LOL.....

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

Have reunions always been such a hot topic as they are right now?  With the Eagles releasing an album, Zeppelin doing a gig, Van Halen on a tour, Motley Crue getting together for a cup of tea last year, and Pink Floyd doing a reunion show last year, reunions have been the big thing in the music industry as of late.  I guess since record sales are no longer a means of making profit, bands are talking reunion to possibly make more money.  I haven't seen this much talk about reunions since the cast of Seinfeld got together on Oprah.

Strange that Duff would come out with he AND Slash when all Slash says is no way it's gonna happen.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah, reunions are the big moneymakers in the music biz now. I still don't think this is happening, and not because of Axl. Slash shut the door on this recently, and awhile back someone posted a Slash quote from a few years back where he says a reunion would have been cool at some point if they all went their separate ways and did their own thing, but Axl had to go and tarnish the name. He clearly has issues with how Axl ruined the GNR brand, and I don't blame him. Had Axl actually did something with it, it might not be as bad. But he just tours every few years on the classics, which causes the public and media to lose interest in the GNR product.

While I used to always believe a reunion would happen at some point, I no longer believe that to be the case. Slash doesn't need it, and we know Izzy can live one way or the other. The only two people who are going to need a reunion at some point are Axl and Adler.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Gunslinger wrote:

I think a reunion will happen but not anytime soon.  Eventually Axl is going to "reflect" on his life as will the rest of the GNR of used-to-be.  These guys will be pushing 50 soon and if you've noticed,  that's when most big bands forget egos and concentrate on one last ride into their legacy.  Some it takes a little longer but it usually does happen.  I'm sure the money aspect doesn't hurt either.  I firmly believe (barring any passings or the like) we will see a reunion...eventually.

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:

I'm just loving the way time is "healing" wounds and changing general perceptions these guys have towards each other....now i'm beginning to completely understand Axl's tactic of  disappearance, refusal to interviews and media appearances....

i just don't buy any of the shit Slash is selling currently, i love the guy to death, he has done some awesome work, but i am glad that Axl is a guardian of the gnr catalogue and brand....at least he has kept it relative and the longer he waits with CD, the more iconic he will become, and the more sales will AFD and GH accumulate....

and to be honest....i'd rather have him do an AFD tour every 4 years, then releasing below par material (VR style), and being quickly fogotten thereafter....

slash is great....but he's just out for a quick buck now, and he cannot be blamed for that, like gunslinger mentioned, its the age they're at now, retirements have to be provided for.

the only way Axl will make the reunion call is if Slash and Duff publicly apologise to him.....i dont see it happening any other way.

that, or CD comes out, flops harder than hard....and he chooses the reunion route because he needs cash, and has no other option but that one.

Robman
 Rep: 5 

Robman wrote:

If CD flops, I dont think we'd hear from Axl again, he'd just be the butt of every media joke.

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Robman wrote:

If CD flops, I dont think we'd hear from Axl again, he'd just be the butt of every media joke.

Yeah I see it the same way, ironically enough I think Axl would need a certain degree of success with the new band before he could consider a reunion. If CD flops I can't see his pride letting him back on stage with Slash and the rest.

As for Slash, whilst his wording changes regarding a reunion I think his feelings have remained the same. He'd do it and thinks it'd be fun but I think he would need to hear certain things from Axl first (I'm sure Axl probably feels similarly about Slash) and as he said on BTM he thinks that's a long way from happening. Hypothetically I don't think Slash is opposed to the idea of a reunion at all it's just in reality he knows how far off from happening it probably is.

Board footer