You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Chris Cornell on Axl Rose

James wrote:

While posting in that smoking thread after Tyler mentioned how cigs fuck up your voice, I googled Cornell to find out when he quit. Anyways, stumbled upon a few comments he made about Axl. I remember his story about seeing him in the corridor during the tour, but never heard about the blimp thing.

You toured with Guns n' Roses in 1991. Got a good Axl story?

He was always hidden somewhere having a personal crisis -- always. One time I was in the room when he was talking to his manager, Doug Goldstein, about wanting the Goodyear blimp for the show. I said this as a joke -- even though it was true -- that the Fuji blimp was the largest blimp in the world. Axl was like, "That's it! It's gonna be the Fuji blimp!"

Rocker CHRIS CORNELL felt he was living out a comic book story when he toured with GUNS N' ROSES in 1992 because AXL ROSE was so bizarre.

The AUDIOSLAVE star was the frontman for cult rockers SOUNDGARDEN when they joined Guns N' Roses for a crazy US tour, and his only memories of the trek are of Rose's odd backstage rules and his only meeting with the eccentric singer.

He tells Blender magazine, "You were not allowed to be in a hallway or anywhere Axl might see you when he was walking between the dressing rooms and the stage.
"So, one day I see a security guard walking him down this long corridor where there's no one except for me, and it's like they want me to see him.

"He's wearing his Axl Rose tennis shoes that say 'Axl Rose' on them and these teeny-tiny, painted-on red shorts, a backwards baseball cap and a fur coat that goes to the floor.

"He just walks by and goes, 'Hey, bro!' And that was it. At that point, it's one of those moments where you think about your life as a comic book."

Cornell also reveals that teleprompters had to be set up at the end of catwalks connected to the stage, so that Rose could stay on top of lyrics. He adds, "I thought that was a little weird because they only had two albums."

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The lyrics was more for him to stay up on performing the Illusion material, which was still fresh in alot of cases, plus they had a double album, and performed a large majority of that, in combo with AFD & the Lies EP, so that's not crazy at all.

As for the hallway, and all those bullshit rules, i've always thought that was MUCH MORE Doug Goldstein and his lame ass handlers he had around him. Just like that meeting with Cornell. Axl sees him, says "hey", and it was like it was no big deal.

But getting that info to Chris, everyone made some deal out of it, and blamed Axl, and it was all because they wanted Axl to themselves.

I've been half-convinced for years the Axl vs. Slash war was created by people in-between them that planted shit in both their ears, and if they'd just get together, they probably BOTH could figure that out.

James

James wrote:

So we're blaming Goldstein now? 14 I agree the various hangers on were always a problem, but face it, Axl was/is a diva. If that cigarette holder crap you mentioned doesn't prove that, nothing will.

I agree about the lyrics thing. I never saw a problem with it, and it shows how seriously he took road testing that Illusions material in summer 91 where the setlist literally revolved around two unreleased albums. I like when artists refuse to live in the past, and summer 1991 is the only time Axl went that route.

I can also see why it would rub Cornell the wrong way though. Cornell takes his music very seriously, and clearly thought such a thing was absurd. However, Cornell rehearses, Axl doesn't. So its a bit easier for him to know his lyrics word for word long before showtime.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

I got the Vid for I presumed that it was common knowledge here. Ill find it its on my youtube favs somewhere

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

So we're blaming Goldstein now? 14 I agree the various hangers on were always a problem, but face it, Axl was/is a diva. If that cigarette holder crap you mentioned doesn't prove that, nothing will.

Axl was just trying to be dope!

Nothing is more pimp than this...

352809236_302205c420.jpg?v=0

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

At least he turned out to be Rocky`s manager. What did it get Axl lol

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

Well I can't seem to pull it up but it was where he talks about the Fuji Blimp **shrugs**
Any way. I did come across this at the very beginning segment Chris talks about Axl
and It is refreshing to see how he doesnt throw any punches at Axl and jump on the bashing bandwagon
while at the same time not bullshitting and licking Axls Ass. __ Also notice how he pronounces the DJ's name with such Venom and the look on his face.... I LOVE CHRIS CORNELL

James

James wrote:

Yeah, Cornell has class and doesn't bash anybody. Hell, he never even addressed the incident with Shepard that may or may not have led to the breakup of the band. No reporter asks him either, probably because they know he doesn't sink to that level.

Cornell is a "little talk, all action" type of guy.

I don't think he was even being negative towards Axl. Just poking fun a bit at the situation. Very few people have got a glimpse into that world, and someone like Cornell who doesn't care about it at all is gonna have a different perspective.

I wish Axl had taken Soundgarden out on the road as the opener during the first leg of the UYI tour. They were on fire on that tour.....

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:

I saw them at Wembley with GNR smile

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The DJ was clearly setting him up to bash axl so its nice he didnt take the bait.

As for the story about the hallways.

It's pretty clear Axl has ups and downs at times, and I would imagine he needs to put himself in a particular frame of mind to deliver the kind of performances he does, if that psyche-up can be ruined by bumping into people who might look or say something that undoes the process, then its easier if he just gets his space before the show. What's the alternative - let every tom dick and harry bug him and then the show is delayed or cancelled while he does his prep again.

Lyrics as complex as the illusion records deserve a telepromoter.

Board footer