You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Re: WTF does Pitman do?

Stepvhen wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

If you're trying to say that Axl is a genius for using early 90s technology on an album released in 2008 and Pitman was the key to the greatness of CD, I think you need to relearn the definition of the word modern...and greatness.

I have an education in this area and I work in this area its not 90s tech that they are using. Get your facts right. I never said he was a genius. I said that it was good that the band are embracing the technological revolution that is happening in music instrumentation as we speak. As a digital instrument designer I know about these things.

You really need to educate yourself before running your mouth telling everybody how smart you are, when you cannot even distinguish a modern instrument form a 90s made instrument.

YOu might need to read this point a few times to let it sink in

Ummm...so the album was written in 2008?  None of the writing from the 90s was used at all?  Sorry dude, you're out of touch on this one.  There's nothing special about an effects guy.  The Beatles used effects in the 60s.  There's nothing super modern that Pitman did on CD, there's no great contribution he made.  He added noise to something already cluttered with other noise.  That isn't modern, that's called overkill.

The stuf pitman uses live is not the same as the 90s stuff. Hes not an effects guy. Hes a musician. You might be living in the past where musicians  ONLY played non digital instruments but the rest of the world has moved on baby.

SUB- BASS . Thats something that is quite super modern in rock music terms. Check the booklet its all in there. 

Wha he did was to help create an album that is infinitely "sampleable" and remixable thanks to its musical depth. Fag:butt:

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Sub bass.  Yawn.  Effects.  Yawn.  The album would have been far better without him or Robin.  Layers of crap don't make something modern, they make it crap.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Sub bass.  Yawn.  Effects.  Yawn.  The album would have been far better without him or Robin.  Layers of crap don't make something modern, they make it crap.

I enjoyed the album, and I appreciate what Chris brought to the table. To be completely honest, people overrate what Axl can do. Without Chris Pitman for the bringing the thing into focus, and later Buckethead for giving it balls... the album would've been a complete wash.

Pitman is GN'R frankly

Buzz, you know how it goes. Axl needs people around him to pull it all together. I know you don't think these were the guys, I disagree, but we can agree on Axl needing a support staff of musicians, like a Slash or Izzy or Duff, and even with the new band, like a Chris or Bucket or Tommy.

Axl doing it on his own, completely, or Axl & Paul Huge would've been even worse of a situation.

As for it being dated, yes. But understand, I think Chris was working this stuff as far back as 1997 for GN'R. It was starting to fade then, but not out of fashion. Had that album been out no later than 1999, it wouldn't be the same as 2008. By 2008, Axl might as well played a banjo and sang bluegrass.

BrokenGlassNCigs wrote:

You guys completely ruined this topic/discussion about rehearsals.

No they didn't. To pardon a Handsome quote - "shit just got real".

I know you guys think a Twat or Wall post of "Heading Back To LA" means something, but it means absolutely nothing. The guy could simply be heading back home, but no, GN'R nuts turn it into "Chinese Democracy Starts Now Part XX"

So they are rehearsing. We get it, what else is there to be said, until the day they hit the stage?

Absolutely nothing.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Stepvhen wrote:

SUB- BASS . Thats something that is quite super modern in rock music terms. Check the booklet its all in there.

i agree its super modern (for rock music) but its nothing more than another layer of synth...unless he is using a tune down bass guitar but i doubt it, then again it wouldnt be overly shocking, there's 5 guitar tracks on some songs and 2 drum tracks with drum machines over top on others...why couldnt there be 2 bass guitars as well...

in any case....more doesnt always mean better...

from my gut feelign though pitman has incorporated some dance/techno techniques into the songs with his synth to amplify the bass drums and bass guitar, as we can already hear there it times when Tommy is drowned out by a wall of noise

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

To be completely honest, people overrate what Axl can do. Without Chris Pitman for the bringing the thing into focus, and later Buckethead for giving it balls... the album would've been a complete wash.

Pitman is GN'R frankly

wow. I totally disagree. I'll say i respect pitman's work on the album and I agree he totally helped make it into what it became. But let's not get carried away......Axl is an intergral part of both the old and the new band.

Lets look at the old band. While as a fan boy i think they each brought something to the table. When it comes down to it for most people. That band is about two things: Axl's unique sounding voice, and slash's unique sounding guitar. There's a ton of other stuff that makes those records kickass, don't get me wrong, but that's what most people take home. So he's a massive part of that legacy.

Then you have the new band...When you have a guy that has Axl's unique tone in his voice, his ability to capture emotion in such an expressive way right down the the inflection and pronouncation of certain words, with his insane vocal range, with his abilities with melodies, and his superior skill at capturing thoughts into lyrics on paper....you can't dismiss that so easily.

Now i'll concur that Axl needs people to complete the picture. Some of his best songs have come from colaborative efforts with others. I'm not saying Axl is the only person doing cool stuff on the GNR songs old and new. He needs other song writers, and guitarists and others adding in their parts. There's tons of talented folks who've made GNR what it was and is.

But lets not let the cloud of drama that follows the band obscure this truth, whatever one wants to say about Axl, whatever one thinks of him, he's very talented as an artist and a fundemental component (with others) in the bands he's been a part of.

I like what pitman brings to the album. It's great. But pitman isn't GNR, he may be a key part of what shapped the album, but it isn't his voice and his pychology that's driving this album in my opinion.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

This thread got WAY off course.....

If you like the bass on the record, give kudos to Stinson. Pitman isn't standing next to him with a bass stealing his mojo. Sub bass is a technique to enhance the actual tracks. Its used in tons of other music.

http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/mix … equencies/

As far as old GNR goes, I have always considered them an updated, ballsier version of Nazareth, not Aerosmith.

Don't be smiting people using such derogatory terms. I'm removing that, and if you want to re-smite him, use another term. I know we've used the word here and I don't really consider the word that offensive, but doing it in that context is just a tad uncalled for.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Guns N' Roses doesn't sound like Guns N' Roses.  I consider that to be a negative.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Thats just it though, when it comes down to it its always about the name and not much else. It's not about pitman, or the guitar parts or the sales or whatever else we argue about. It always comes down to the name issue.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i've broken this thread up into 2 as well...

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

This thread got WAY off course.....

If you like the bass on the record, give kudos to Stinson. Pitman isn't standing next to him with a bass stealing his mojo. Sub bass is a technique to enhance the actual tracks. Its used in tons of other music.

http://audio.tutsplus.com/tutorials/mix … equencies/

As far as old GNR goes, I have always considered them an updated, ballsier version of Nazareth, not Aerosmith.

Don't be smiting people using such derogatory terms. I'm removing that, and if you want to re-smite him, use another term. I know we've used the word here and I don't really consider the word that offensive, but doing it in that context is just a tad uncalled for.

Sub bass is played live too. You know that annoying low drum/bass sound you hear in Dub step In dub step it is what drives the music. Sub bass is a whole other thing to normal bass its a whole other range.  Listen to pendulum Swire is all about the Sub Bass

Board footer