You are not logged in. Please register or login.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

Re: Could it be I'm sick and tired of GNR?

gnfnraxl wrote:

19 Ok.  Yesterday me and my wife we go to do groceries.  We get in the car and the radio is on.  November Rain is playing and I just put on a cd of Tragically Hip instead.  My wife looks at me shocked so I asked her what was wrong.  And she points out that I just turned off a GNR song.  And I just shrugged my shoulders and said Oh well.  And it made me think.  Perhaps I am sick of GNR right now.  Nothing is happening.  Played the old albums till I was blue in the face.  And while CD is not a horrible album I haven't listened to it all that much.  And more importantly even though CD is out radio stations still would rather play old stuff.  And when I come here I only take a quick glance of the GNR stuff to see if there is something important enough.  And there is never anything noteworthy.  And the shows they have planned leave me indifferent mostly cause well they will happen at the other end of the world.  Anybody else feels this way?  And my GOd I just created a topic that is worthy of another forum.  I will go wash the feeling away.  19

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

In the last 10 years i've listened to UY1 twice and 3 songs from Lies once and that's it, other than cd. I listen to CD about once every weekend if i'm driving somewhere longer distance and I only listen to the same 5 songs, mixing in shackler and madagacar once in a while. cd has no flow and the older stuff is just that, old. some of it may be "timeless" but it's all played out to me. we need new and fresh material.

Sky Dog wrote:

I listen consistently to maybe 10-12 Gnr songs on my ipod. Those ten songs span the entire Gnr catalog. Yes, the entire Gnr catalog is played out to me. I need some fresh juice. neutral

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I go through phases. Sometimes I wont play any GNR for a while, then I'll come back to it and play it heavily and it's like a rediscovery. For me it's all about the moods I'm in and the feelings the song creates.

Sometimes I find a break from the songs for a while makes them fresh, and you start really adoring them more when you return.

I'm excited about these shows even though I know unless they come to australia all we'll have is boots.

I think these dark periods make it hard - not much to latch onto for a hardcore fan - no footage of the current band (with ashba), and the recordings are mostly old lineups pretty much. it's easy to get depressed.

But that said, I'm really enjoying listening to the new album, and perhaos i'm nuts, but I just have a good feeling about the new shows. I think the new line up is going to be great, and lets hope we get some new footage and stuff to liven up things.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

You can definitely burn out on them. Before CD came out I must have gone 4-6 months without listening to any old GNR at all and only the leaks if they popped up on my mp3. There's certainly no law that states to be a diehard fan you must listen to GNR a minimum number of times in any given week/month.

I personally find the forums/new GNR saga is what leads me to a burn out, the whole thing can just get depressing and really turns you off the music. When that happens I usually just don't play any GNR and don't get invovled in the GNR section on the forum for a bit. Take yourself away from the 'politics' of it all for a few months and then play some GNR again, I usually find it reminds me exactly why I love them in the first place.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

I have phases of not wanting to listen to GNR and really wanting to listen. It just happens. I did go through a major 6 month phase in 08 where apart from the songs that leaked that year I avoided listening to any GNR like the plague cause I was sick of it.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I don't listen to the band much anymore - any era.  I'd say TWAT gets most of the play these days, but even that isn't a lot.  The only time I tend to listen anymore is if I'm in the mood to play guitar and I'll play along with the CDs (not CD, the CDs).  That doesn't happen too often.  I would leave the radio on though if a song came up.

That doesn't mean I don't still love the band - I do.  I just have so many other things going on that I don't listen to music in general as much as I used to.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:

19 Ok.  Yesterday me and my wife we go to do groceries.  We get in the car and the radio is on.  November Rain is playing and I just put on a cd of Tragically Hip instead.  My wife looks at me shocked so I asked her what was wrong.  And she points out that I just turned off a GNR song.  And I just shrugged my shoulders and said Oh well.

I've been doing that for YEARS. Long before I ever joined a forum.  As you stated, its not a good band to be a hardcore fan of simply because the discog is small and burnout happens quickly due to that. The long waits between releases does the old albums no favor. While I did not buy GH due to its shit track list, even if I had bought it five years ago, it would still be wrapped in cellophane.

I don't listen to the old band. Last time was when I watched some of that St. Louis riot DVD earlier this year. While I listened to the leaks quite a bit the past few years, when the actual record came out, I got sick of it quickly and it rarely gets played anymore.

I also agree with APE that not listening to a band does not make you any less of a fan.

As far as the current era goes, it doesn't really bother me. I would prefer more new music obviously, but there are other artists I like that fill the gap while this band twiddles its thumbs. I come to this site every day not because I feel obligated because I'm an admin, but because I like each person here and enjoy discussing various topics(GNR and non GNR).

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I'm totally burnout on GN'R, at least the more popular stuff. Having listened to any of their stuff, at least a wealth of it at a time, in months and months. Haven't listened to CD in ages.

Lately I find myself listening to off-tracks, like jamming to Bad Apples or something.

Board footer