You are not logged in. Please register or login.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

Re: Slash V Axl V Izzy V Whoeverthe fuck

monkeychow wrote:

I was giving Axl vs Slash some renewed thought.

And appologies in advance to our female members.

But I've come to the conclusion that it's like fighting over Tits vs Ass.

When put together the combined powers of Tits and Ass are better than pretty much anything that existed before them.

However, as great as they are together, sometimes you only get one part of the magic at a time. An otherwise unattractive girl with awesome breasts. Or an otherwise unattractive girl with a great ass.

The fight about weather Axl alone is a better song writer than Slash alone is very similar to arguing about if Girl A's amazing boobs make her hotter than Girl B's amazing butt. When each of them has an amazing part to them, and areas where they arn't as spectacular.

We pretty much all liked the girl who had the boobs and the butt, and for me, I like the other two equally.

Ass for if Axl or Slash is the ass....well....that's a whole other thread right there wink

(*monkey logs off to call his shrink*)

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

so if one of them is a tit and the other is an ass then who is the twat? 14

jimmythegent
 Rep: 30 

jimmythegent wrote:

where Paul Huge in all of this? Wasn't he the creative mastermind responsible for such giants as Estranged and Sweet Child etc..? tongue

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

so if one of them is a tit and the other is an ass then who is the twat? 14

That's easy, It's Izzy. 16

And I'm not just saying that as a joke.  The tits and ass are fun to look at (the faces of the band), but when it comes down to it, what you really need is Izzy (the pussy)

Sky Dog wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Madagas, the other albums they could have released, where... Greatest Hits, and Live Era...  Also in 1993, they released and album..  So really 94-96/97 are the monies you speak of, but Live Era and Greatest Hits more than made up for those...  It was the 97-2004 that cost a shit load of money for which you speak, and an Axl solo album would have never been given that advance.  So he had to keep the GNR name if for anything else, to keep money coming in to make the album...

You are slightly off...the record company doesn't care about Greatest Hits albums.  They already have the rights to those because they own the masters and in their mind that was future money in the bank. Gnr/Axl owed them an album of ORIGINAL studio material. You pile up 3-4-5 million in studio debt over a 3 year period...they want their money back and are not going to get it with an Axl solo album.

Smokin, I don't think you quite understand the money issue and contractual complexities of the 92-98 era. Axl really was backed in to a corner when the old band dissolved. A lot of it was his fault, but it was not an easy situation to resolve.:(

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

pretty much agree with madagas....the money they advanced to axl was for future gnr material (rumor of 3 new studio albums) so even though they may have broke even (or near to) with the BB deal they still expect any profit for cd plus future profit from hypothetical CD II and CD III.... doesnt matter if GH sold more than anyones wildest dreams would expected....thats just gravy to the label

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Huge was the real brains behind GN'R

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
war wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

I think even you know that your attempt to downplay Slash's importance and songwriting greatness was desperate and ridiculous. It's not about having a different opinion. it's about having a valid opinion.
According to you Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, Buckethead etc. are not songwriters. I'm afraid you don't play any instrument and has never got any music education.

i have no reason to be desperate to insult slash. he is great at what he does well and i love him for that but he is not great at songwriting. your comparisons with eddie van halen and jimmy page, etc. are absurd. slash hasn't even been involved with anything close to that level of music since izzy left gnr. compare slither to stairway to heaven, dude. this is because izzy was responsible for the core of most of the songs on appetite, lies, and illusions. slash can write and amazing solo but it doesn't mean shit to the listener if it cant be backed up with a song to accompany it.

take SCOM for example.....play the solo without izzy in the background and it is not nearly as exciting.

You are the one who use absurd logic here. Let's take the Slash - EVH/Page debate. Don't compare Slither to Stairway, cause Jimmy Page WAS in Led Zeppelin when he wrote that song (to be correct: when he stole the backbone of it from another artist). Let's name ANY Jimmy Page song he wrote in the past 30 years and compare it to Slither. You can't name any. I guess that according to your logic it shows John Paul Jones was the mastermind behind Led Zeppelin, while Plant and Page were only puppets, and Bonham could have been replaced by a monkey (it's madagas' theory about AFD drumming).

Same goes for EVH - name ONE song he wrote outside Van Halen and then we can discuss the comparison. Nope.

SCOM... thanks for bringing the song up. I was going to mention it. What did Izzy write there? D,C,G,D. Very impressing. A pure genius. It was something new and unique. Without Slash's intro and solo(s) it would be just another cheesy, uninspired hair metal song of the 80s. Slash makes that song. If you are so familiar with music, you might know that this is THE INTRO and this is THE GUITAR SOLO for millions of music listeners. Saying that it's not important, but the chords make the song...well, utterly ridiculous. Sorry.

I'm not saying that Slash was Guns N' Roses. He obviously was not. Neither Izzy. Neither Axl. They all complemented each other, their strengths and weaknesses. Downplaying Slash's  HUGE songwriting role in GN'R success is a joke.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
madagas wrote:

But, I rationalize this off of my core belief that Axl has always been at least 50% of the Gnr brand. With the old band, I saw Axl as the voice and face of the band and the other musicians as the music. Axl 50% vs Slash/Duff/Izzy/Drummer 50%. Voice 50% vs Music 50%.

This is where Gnr fans greatly disagree....on what percentage each member brought to the table. Just my opinion.

C'mon, Axl AND Slash were the faces of Guns N' Roses. Slash, as 'only' a guitarist made at least as much cover as Axl. He did a lot more interviews. You could have sold any newspaper with Slash (or Axl) on the cover. It was like Plant/Page. Both in the superstar league, not only the singer.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

Please. Axl has never written too much material, he's more of a producer. Chinese Democracy also proves that, too. He needs others to write music for him. He can't even play guitar good enough to create something better than a 14-year old could. Besides the great Estranged, November Rain and This I Love, nothing proves his songwriting ability. Nothing.

Out of the post 93 era, I'll take Axl's ability over Slash's any day of the week.

When it comes to GNR songwriting, you guys are measuring the wrong dicks.

Might want to get a ruler out and measure this one....

Izzy

It's a myth. Just because Izzy wrote a ton of Stones sounding songs, he didn't make Guns N' Roses. Slash, Duff, Izzy and Axl were Guns N' Roses, with the actual drummer strongly influencing the sound. Without Slash, all the Izzy songs would've sounded like Rapidfire or JuJu Hounds. That would have tanked and this forum wouldn't exist.

Second. I don't even agree with the 'Izzy wrote most of the GN'R stuff' statement. Quantity wise perfaps, but not quality wise. I mean compare his songs to Slash's monsters, like Locomotive or Coma, not to mention Slash's enormous contribution to songs were he didn't get a single credit (NR, Estranged etc.) - while Izzy was AWOL during the UYI sessions. YCBM would be a Richards-song without Slash's rocking it. Not one guy was GN'R. Stop downplaying Slash's importance. Without his song and solo writing ability, GN'R would have played in empty clubs. Same goes for Axl and Izzy, and maybe Duff.

Funny that you tell me to stop downplaying Slash's importance(which I never did), yet you used the previous two paragraphs to downplay Izzy's importance.

If you want to know how vital Izzy was to the band, go check Axl, Slash, and other ex members discographies post 1991 and you'll find the answer you seek.

Funny that Izzy was AWOL during the UYI sessions yet wrote half the songs, yet when he completely bailed they couldn't write shit. Where are all these "Slash monsters" after 1991 other than in the imagination of Slash fans?

Board footer