You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Re: Slash V Axl V Izzy V Whoeverthe fuck

Stepvhen wrote:

Batman would kick the shit out of Predator AND Slash so there

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The other thing about contraband is that I don't think the record itself was mixed/captured/mastered very well to bring out the power of the live band. I saw 3 shows on the tour and each time I was really struck by how slash was shredding the shit out of the solos live. Then i'd go back to the record and see he was playing the same parts mostly, just it's all a bit muddier and burried. Some bands are better on tape than live, but VR is the opposite I think, the live chemestry of slash and duff and matt, and slash when he's in his zone is way more powerful than what's on that record.

I was really looking forward to seeing the libertad tour live. Had tickets to the aussie tour that was cancelled and everything. But it had seemed from boots that slash was really back! Like he was even doing solos between songs again and realyl ripping the shit out of it, and while libertad is a mellow album, the solos seemed to have been given more attention in the song structures than contraband. So i was pumped for it.

The other thing I'll always miss is the live recording I lost of Snakepit 1 playing in wales in 1995. I've seen other snakepit boots but there was something about this one. Anyone who thinks theres no good slash guitar post-gnr, or that slash lost it needs to hunt down that video (and give it back to me!!! lol). It was this little venue, and slash was clearly happy as all fuck to just be playing and having fun, and he was jupping around like a fucking mad man like he used to back in the day, and although the audio quality was a bit handycam, it made you realise how much guyitar stuff is going on in those songs, you see slash to all the bends, bend the whole guitar neck to do a dive-bomb type sound, swing it back up to his head to solo out some blues riffs with his head back, it was rock god shit...and pure GNR just minus Axl.

Sky Dog wrote:

damn......Dylan is so cool.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:
-D- wrote:

This Cornell is better than Axl thing is ridiculous

Axl has a way more diverse voice... he had like 3 or 4 different voices.. Cornell has the same tired vocal melody etc and lets don't even get started on lyrics

Please elaborate?  If you think Cornell has one voice you haven't listened to enough of his stuff. 

Same thing could be said for Axl if people had only heard the singles. 

Please, let's get started on lyrics.  Cornell hasn't written the same song about being heartbroken for the past 20 some years. 

You have up to this point provided no proof to back up anything you're claiming. 

I'll say it again:  I want to see Axl strap on an acoustic guitar and put on a show half as good as Cornell.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
russtcb wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Yeah VR is wierd. Like when Contraband came out I took a while to warm to it cos of the absence of Snakepit style solos and in your face licks. Then with libertad, the solos were starting to come back but it still seemed like too many ballads on the one album and not enough balls out rock. Throw in scott's limited range and repedative song structures and the overall experience is very removed from GNR.

So i can kind of see why somepeople don't like VR. But when you get past a couple of those things they really do have some great tracks too. I think i'm alone on this one but I just love "Let it Roll" that ending where last rips into that solo just takes me to guitar heaven. lol. And there's some real pretty melodies in a few of the less known ballads...like "Loving the Alien" or "You got no right". And a few of the rockey numbers are definately catchy. Like superhuman isn't the best track ever...but when in the mood you can scream out that "cocaine...alchol..." chorus etc

To be honest I enjoy them and I'm kind of disapointed that it seems to have fallen into the abyss. But it's the sort of band with more potential than they've realised yet. Like Slash and Duff and Matt are fucking gold together....they made some good tunes with Dave and Scott...but I'm sure they still have better left in them. I dunno if it needs a new foil for slash other than dave, or if dave is great and it was just scott pushing them in a different way, but I'd love VR to regroup and make more of a GNR/Snakepit sounding album with a new singer.

I wanted to love Contraband when it came out. I was extremely hyped for it. In the end, I came away with loving Slither and Loving The Alien and I kinda like Fall To Pieces. Did not like Libertad even a little.

Other than Fall To Pieces, that was my position too. I was so hyped about that album. I was even in the camp of "it's Guns N' Roses with Scott Weiland on vocals". I figured if Axl could have GN'R with himself, the other guys could do their own thing.

That wasn't what happened at all. The album was firmly rooted in it's time, dated within weeks, weak to boot, and just an all around disappointment.

CD left a much better taste in my mouth.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
-D- wrote:

This Cornell is better than Axl thing is ridiculous

Axl has a way more diverse voice... he had like 3 or 4 different voices.. Cornell has the same tired vocal melody etc and lets don't even get started on lyrics

Yeah, let's get started on that. You're basically sidestepping one of Cornell's strongest points.

Just going by the fact you say he uses the "same tired vocal melody" shows you haven't listened to very much Soundgarden/Cornell/Audioslave so probably shouldn't be commenting on his supposed lack of ability at writing lyrics.

Axl sometimes likes to sing about drugs, right? Well here's a couple Cornell songs dealing with that issue, and since you don't seem to know very much about him except slagging him, he wrote the lyrics himself....

Times of Trouble

When the spoon is hot
And the needle's sharp
And you drift away
I can hear you say
That the world in black
Is upon your back
And your body shakes
So you ditch away
And you close the shades

Don't try to do it
Don't try to kill your time
You might do it
Then you can't change your mind
You've got a hold on to your time
Till your break through these
Times of trouble

When you try to talk
And the words get hard
And they put you down
Don't you stay
Don't you ditch away

I saw you swinging
Swinging your mother's sword
I know you're playing but
Sometimes the rules get hard
But if somebody left you out on a ledge
If somebody pushed you over the edge
If somebody loved you and left you for dead
You got to hold on to your time till you break
Through these times of trouble

Overfloater

Come on in and take me on an override
Been stuck inside and up all night at Dave's
Now trouble's far away, mother's in her cage
And nothings gonna pinch this nerve of mine

I wanna make it right

Close the door and pull the shades
And climb the walls
Feel medicine heal the lines of age
I'm here and now I'm gone
I'm there and far beyond
And nothing's gonna pinch this nerve of mine
Nothing's gonna pinch this nerve of mine

I wanna make it right

I'm on the wire over and higher
Over the pretense over the spire
On and connected I'm overfloating now
I'm overfloating alone

Breathe and take it in and gently blow it out
Drink it down and swallow hard and gaze
Hold the potion up
Stare your shadow down
Remember to forget and then rename your shame

I wanna make it right

I'm overfloating alone

Yeah those are some shitty lyrics. roll

Now post some of those Axl lyrics with a similar theme that he wrote himself.....

Love how people talk about Izzy as if he is God but slag on Slash for his "post" GNR work when Slash won a fucking grammy and made a kick ass great album in CB.. wtf has Izzy done since 91?

We all know Izzy is very low key now and releases things under the radar. That still doesn't take away from his monumental impact on GNR in 87-91. In fact, if you post any lyrics to counteract those posted above, it's gonna have to be Izzy lyrics, which is quite funny.

I didn't really slag on Slash's post GNR work. Hell, I posted his discography in this thread. It's not my cup of tea obviously, but it's a pretty impressive list.

Axl made a great record cause it is easier to find drummers,guitar players,bassist etc than it is to find a great vocalist,lyricist.

If it's so easy, why does he keep downgrading every time a new member jumps aboard? 16

Contraband destroys CD in the Rock dept.

Please. Contraband is nothing without Slither and Fall to Pieces. Cd definitely did not have a Slither type track, but two songs does not "destroy" CD. Well, those two songs don't. 16

the other thing that pisses me off and i find to be the most retarded statement of all time is that Slash has done nothing since GNR therefore that somehow damages his legacy or importance to GNR...

Anyone who says he's done nothing since GNR clearly has no idea what they are talking about and is probably not even a real fan. Even the blind can see his discography, and the only person to ever be in GNR with a more impressive discography than Slash is Buckethead.

Like Bucket, he's very hit or miss. Bucket has some turds in his discog as well. Axl has a very small discography, but the quality is top notch even though 99% of it dates back to 87-93. You can say Cornell released a few duds, and that may be true, but let's see Axl release five albums in a seven year period in his 40s instead of twiddling his thumbs.

By the way, that Milli Vanilli album kicks ass and to this day deserves that Grammy.

Saikin

Saikin wrote:

Those are some awful lyrics James.  16

Those songs both deal with a similar subject but both are written entirely different.  I don't think that's a bad thing. 

Axl sang about women right?  Here's some Cornell songs.

Yesterday To Tomorrow lyrics

Beauty is what the eyes behold
And you burn brighter than most
I chased you through the midnight streets
To be where I could speak freely

I didn't care what tomorrow held
I felt the world turning only for us
Only bliss now for you and me
Rise up let life's kiss send us reeling

And unlike the times before
From yesterday comes tomorrow
When life comes alive the past moves aside
No regrets and no remorse

We have more than everything
More than man or machine
More than luck
More than fiction
Higher than any religion

No regrets and no remorse

We'll squeeze the blood out of life
And say goodnight to the silver of old
Even when wrong we're right
Far beyond the world of diamonds and gold
I've come to realize
Where happiness lies
I want you to know I know

No regrets no remorse

When I'm Down lyrics

What say you now?
The door is opening on your vigil
And I'm in my usual way
I save my breath, knowing what you're
Wanting me to say
I only love you when I'm down

You say that midnight opens its arms to me
Leaving you alone, and I fly so far away
Until the light blurs my vision
And I have nowhere to roam
I only love you when I'm down

And I only love you when I'm down
And I'm only near you when I'm gone
But one thing for you to keep in mind, you know
I'm down all the time

Well I know you're reaching out
And you need to feel my hand
You want to be understood, yeah well I understand

I know you hold precious little hope for me
And in your hapiness
I'm always drowning in my grief

And I only love you when I'm down
And I'm only near you when I'm gone
But one thing for you to keep in mind, you know
I'm down all the time
All the time, all the time, all the time

A lot less cheesy than other songs we could bring up by Axl.  The heaviest song Axl ever wrote is by far the cheesiest and I can imagine a few adult contemporary singers releasing it.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Times of Trouble

When the spoon is hot
And the needle's sharp
And you drift away
I can hear you say
That the world in black
Is upon your back
And your body shakes
So you ditch away
And you close the shades

Don't try to do it
Don't try to kill your time
You might do it
Then you can't change your mind
You've got a hold on to your time
Till your break through these
Times of trouble

When you try to talk
And the words get hard
And they put you down
Don't you stay
Don't you ditch away

I saw you swinging
Swinging your mother's sword
I know you're playing but
Sometimes the rules get hard
But if somebody left you out on a ledge
If somebody pushed you over the edge
If somebody loved you and left you for dead
You got to hold on to your time till you break
Through these times of trouble

Overfloater

Come on in and take me on an override
Been stuck inside and up all night at Dave's
Now trouble's far away, mother's in her cage
And nothings gonna pinch this nerve of mine

I wanna make it right

Close the door and pull the shades
And climb the walls
Feel medicine heal the lines of age
I'm here and now I'm gone
I'm there and far beyond
And nothing's gonna pinch this nerve of mine
Nothing's gonna pinch this nerve of mine

I wanna make it right

I'm overfloating alone

Breathe and take it in and gently blow it out
Drink it down and swallow hard and gaze
Hold the potion up
Stare your shadow down
Remember to forget and then rename your shame

I wanna make it right

I'm overfloating alone

Yeah those are some shitty lyrics.

Now post some of those Axl lyrics with a similar theme that he wrote himself.....

Great "song". It's the same thing. Some lines are even recycled.

Cornell's drug-oriented songs are basically the same. So are Jerry Cantrell's. And Axl seems to have a thing for doing the same unrequited love songs over and over.

The point is, it was brilliant the first time. As for who does what better. I think Axl & Chris are on an even keel lyrics-wise.

Saikin

Saikin wrote:

Except for the fact that Times of Trouble and Overfloater are vastly different songs both lyrically and musically where songs like November Rain and This I Love are fairly similar.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

I haven't read much of this thread but since I saw it brought up I'd just like to say I LOVE "Times Of Trouble".  Great Temple of the Dog tune.

Board footer