You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: One Week Sober

James wrote:

The hardest part of quitting for me are the triggers. I would actually rank that higher than the physical withdrawals you go through, simply because your triggers never really go away.

As most of you know, I have had an addiction to various pills for a few years. It's not a pretty picture to say the least. I have had many addictions prior to this and was able to quit, but other than smoking, pills are the only monkey on my back and I don't see the monkey exiting stage left anytime soon unless the monkey kills me.

Congrats on a week sober. That first week is always a doozy......

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

The first week was fine for me.... These last few (very stressful) days have rattled my bones... Onward I roll. keep yer head up, bro. I'll be your unofficial fucking "sponsor"....

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:

I'm doing great. I had a few stressful moments over the weekend, but otherwise I feel like a superhero.

Already lost a bunch of weight, and have a ton of energy.

Feel a lot calmer, more patient.

My eyes look bigger from my face not being so puffy.

Anyway, I can't believe I din't do this years ago, but ... oh well.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

Heres some inspiration fr you. I been listening t it non stop all week and haven't touched a bottle.

It's about alcoholism and giving up. The lyrics paint quite the accurate picture

Stacey
 Rep: 31 

Stacey wrote:
apex-twin wrote:

You don't quit once.

You quit every day all over again.

While I've never directly experienced a damaging addiction (or I'm in serious denial) I can say this sounds like some great advice.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:
tylerdurden wrote:

The first week was fine for me.... These last few (very stressful) days have rattled my bones... Onward I roll. keep yer head up, bro. I'll be your unofficial fucking "sponsor"....

Sponsors are actually a good idea. I never went to a meeting but I've been to rehab and I was hooked up with one. Talked me out of some serious shit.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired

Are all triggers to go back out. When you feel like using, ask yourself if any of those apply and then address them. To stay sober you must find a sponsor (especially in the start) and go to meetings. Surround yourself with other people who understand you, that means meetings. Real live meetings, not online (although those can be a great supplement.) You need phone numbers of people you can call 24/7 if you are feeling weak.

Proper diet is so important. Omega 3's are essential to brain function/emotional health/anxiety etc. Low sugar, fuck the caffeine too while your at it. The last thing you need is any spikes in blood sugar followed by a big drop. Talk about setting yourself up to drink. Eat as many natural (ie non processed foods) as you can. Your body desperately needs nutrition right now. Drink lots of water.

In short you need to work on all aspects of your existence in order to stay sober. The best method to do this is one day at a time. Find a sponsor, go to meetings, light exercise, proper diet, get phone numbers, don't beat yourself up for anything. Listen more and talk less (take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth.) Embrace HUMILITY, put ego on the shelf and most importantly be honest with yourself. If you don't have the capacity to be honest with yourself, you will never stay sober.

PM me if you need help getting there.

Sober since 9-10-97

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:

Thanks man. I'll be two weeks in tomorrow.

slcpunk
 Rep: 149 

slcpunk wrote:

Good job. Just remember to stay in the moment. When I first got sober, especially the first few weeks, I had to sometimes set 15 minute goals. A day was simply too long to fathom. Don't feel weak if you have to break the day itself into segments initially. Also remember that any bad feeling you have will eventually end. Pain will eventually go away. Sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly, but it will go away. Anxiety may come out of nowhere and make you think all kinds of weird stuff. That is when you have to really take control of that moment with your brain and focus on your breathing, a walk, or call somebody. It will get much easier with time.

Obvious things are not hanging out in a bar to "Just drink juice" or drinking NA beers. Or hanging out with old pals who promise "They won't let you drink" etc. They will all say this, and they probably mean well. But if you fall off the wagon they'll just drink along side you anyway. Sit in a barber shop long enough and you're going to get a hair cut.

One of the hardest things is for your friends to understand where you are coming from. Don't expect them to get it. Some will, some won't. I had people I knew for years that I had to cut out of my life once I got clean. The chance of me getting drunk with them was much higher than them staying sober with me. It can be lonely, but that is what meetings are for. You HAVE TO surround yourself with sobriety. Statistically speaking the cards are stacked against you, and that is why you need every advantage you can here.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

The hardest part of quitting for me are the triggers. I would actually rank that higher than the physical withdrawals you go through, simply because your triggers never really go away.

The triggers are pain, really.

I still have the occassional dream of lighting up. Always surrounded by old mates, cheering me into it. Always feel a bit perplexed about actually doing it, but end up doing it regardless. Have stayed succesfully out since New Year, which is now over three months and counting. But summer's coming with all those temptations, there's going to be some action in the parks and otherwise...

It's going to be difficult, I make no bones about that. It's mainly about whether I'd still consider myself to get a kick out of it, which, last I checked, didn't happen anymore. My tolerance has by now reached an all-time low and I would likely get fired up with minimum effort. If I do that, I may end up considering it's not a bad thing after all and the old cycle would repeat itself eventually.

You can't be a little bit pregnant. EIther you're using or not.

I personally need to keep on choosing not to.

Board footer