You are not logged in. Please register or login.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

Re: Slash - Crucify The Dead

apex-twin wrote:

Slash has a bigger problem with Axl than he generally admits. I remember the ICP members telling about how he came to record a solo for The Great Milenko. This was soon after the GNR split had been made official and Slash had major issues in coping with all that. GNR had been his band for ten years straight and he'd gotten used to being in it and occasionally going out to do solo work / guest appearances. When GNR was pulled from underneath his feet, he was obviously adrift for a while. Combine that his alcohol problems at the time and you'll realize he wasn't a very happy person back then.

The press, the music industry and most of the fans give him the victim blanket, as in 'Evil Axl ruined the band'. Obviously, he doesn't have a problem with it, and taking the moral high ground is a whole lot easier when the general opinion falls in your favor. Whatever the truth, Slash never gets called out for playing a part in the disbanding of the UYI lineup, or the old band in general. Axl always takes the heat, whether he's truly the sole culprit or not. Axl's blame isn't the point in this, rather than the assumption that others were just fiddling around as the all-around benevolent group of characters with no ego.

But Slash felt very strongly about it on an emotional level, make no qualms about that. To say he's a saint by his own right is pretty deluded. Axl's Axl and has behaved how most people expect him to. His behavior shouldn't be used as a measuring stick for Slash and to erase or justify the manner by which Slash himself has danced around various issues, including the visit to Axl's house. Slash publically denied it and shrugged it off, as in 'Even the visit never happened'. Finally, he admitted it did happen. He could've told the story as it was represented in his book since Day 1 if he was such a straight-shooter.

Same with VR, really. Weiland's trouble (most of that to himself) and certainly made stupid things in his VR days. That enabled people to side with the (then) poor Vicodin addict who shunned his fellow band member completely when the going got rough. This may sound harsh (and probably is), but my point is, the dude's not exactly a saint even if some other people might've well acted like assholes.

Having said that, a great guitar player and it's nice to see him out there, still doing his thing after all these years.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Lots of great posts in here, and I just want to agree that they are 'direct' shots. Too close in proximity. Both Sorry & Crucify The Dead directly call out the other, without using names. Despite Slash's denial, and Axl's calling of those Sorry speculators "losers", we didn't fall off the truck yesterday.

Sorry is about Slash
Crucify is about Axl

And if that's believing what you want, fine, but frankly I don't trust a fucking word that either Slash or Axl says, considering both of them have been highly inconsistent over the years.

If it walks like a duck, and quacks... it's probably a duck. Just use inductive reasoning, and these songs are obvious. And with that said... Sorry is about 85 billion times a better song than Crucify.

Sky Dog wrote:

bam!!!!! JR nailed it.

johndivney wrote:

i think Sorry has more than Slash in it's sights, but he's definitely an inspiration. wasn't it Sorum who told him 2 "shut up & sing''? (r am i just making stuff up??)
i thought maybe SoD was more directly related 2 Slash..

but even going back 2 UYI & 5 o'clock these guys were writing self-referencing lyrics..

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Ozzy couldn't write his name on a piece of paper with a gun pointed to his head. Whether its about Axl or Pee Wee Herman, Ozzy didn't write it.

I feel insulted that they would even expect us to believe that.

This song actually would have been better with a different singer, or just as an instrumental.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
johndivney wrote:

i thought maybe SoD was more directly related 2 Slash..

No offense, but I've never understood how some people think those lyrics could be directed towards a man.

If that song is about Slash or any guy, Axl is gay and we all know he isn't gay.

All the love in the world
Couldn't save you
All the innocence inside
You know I tried so hard to make you
Oh, to make you change your mind

And it hurts too much to see you
And how you left yourself behind
You know I wouldn't wanna be you
Now there's a hell I can't describe

What this means to me
Is more than I know you believe
What I thought of you now has cost more than it should for me
What I thought was true before
Were lies I couldn't see
What I thought was beautiful
Is only memories

That's not aimed at a top hat.....

Sky Dog wrote:

Stephanie...

johndivney wrote:

if it's about the disintegration of the old band it could be..

Sky Dog wrote:

it's about a girl.....pretty f'n obvious.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

It's about a girl obviously, but the jury is out on the Stephanie thing...it's prolly about some chick he met. People act like Axl was lost over this Stephanie thing..like some kind of victim that lost his love and could never love again. Pffff...he prolly found some other chick at least within a year, but simply kept it away from the media.

Board footer